Search Unity

Local server/client test is buggy?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Crey, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Crey

Crey

I prototyped my game using c++/opengl/raknet and just today started to translate it into Unity (very excited!) because of it's media tools.

I tried to set up a simple server/client and print a message to the log of each when the connection is accepted. The scripting is easy but the configuration is confusing me.

I created an empty game object and attached a network view component and script component. Script component looks like this:

Code (csharp):
    2. function OnGUI ()
    3. {
    4.     if(isServer != true  isClient != true)
    5.     {
    7.          if(GUI.Button(Rect(Screen.width/2 - 50, Screen.height/2 + 5, 120, 30), "Join Game"))
    8.         {
    9.             if (Network.peerType == NetworkPeerType.Disconnected)
    10.             {
    11.                 Network.useNat = false;
    12.                 Network.Connect("127.0.0.1", 25000);
    13.                 isClient = true;
    14.             }
    15.         }
    17.         if(GUI.Button(Rect(Screen.width/2 - 50, Screen.height/2 + 40, 120, 30), "Create Game"))
    18.         {
    19.             if (Network.peerType == NetworkPeerType.Disconnected)
    20.             {
    21.                 Network.InitializeServer(32, 25000);
    22.                 isServer = true;
    23.             }
    24.         }
    25.     }
    26. }
    28. function OnPlayerConnected(player : NetworkPlayer)
    29. {
    30.     Debug.Log("Someone has joined your game");
    31. }
    33. function OnConnectedToServer()
    34. {
    35.     Debug.Log("You have joined someone's game");
    36. }
    So I build/run and then open the executable so that I have 2 instances of the game running. On one I set up the server, on the other I join the server.

Sometimes the log doesn't print anything, sometimes it prints just "Someone has joined your game" and sometimes it doesn't print anything until I exit the program and then it pukes both messages up. This seems like a simple example, what gives?

Thanks guys

2. Crey

Crey

anybody? It seems like it has something to do with window focus. After joining the game, I have give the server window focus and then it will print the connection succeeded, and then I have to give the client focus again for it to have connection succeeded. Is this just how it works?

3. psx

psx

You have to turn on "run in background" in the player settings. At least, I think that's where it is, I'm not in front of my computer :)