Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Loading project frozen on "Load Scripting Assemblies"

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by o1o101, Jul 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. o1o101

o1o101

Can't get my project open, Unity completely hangs on "Load Scripting Assemblies".

The editor log says nothing of value, the last message is "Application.AssetDatabase.Refresh Start". It runs forever, eventually running up the memory to 100% and blackscreening my computer.

On the latest 2020 LTS, URP, recently started using Unity Accelerator, and also have imported the Google Mobile Ads SDK which could be part of the issue here. Platform is Android.
    Have tried with internet disabled in case it had to do with the accelerator with no luck.

Any ideas?

2. SmashedAvocado

SmashedAvocado

Same issue. Unity 2020.3.7f1.

New project, imported a few assets from the asset store.

Crashed and now can't open the project again. Crashes on "Load Scripting Assemblies".

3. iMobCoding

iMobCoding

This happened to me while trying to start Unity while on VPN. If you're on VPN too, first try without internet connection and see if helps and if so try changing the VPN protocol. If it's not VPN related, try deleting the library

4. o1o101

o1o101

Not using a VPN, also had tried opening with internet completely disabled but it had the same behavior.

I spent the entire day trying to solve it with no luck. Had to completely delete the project and redownload my last state from version control it for it to open up finally.

Now need to make the changes which likely caused this in the first place.

5. juissi

juissi

I tried delete Library, Temp and other generated folder but no help. Restarting the computer finally helped.

6. o1o101

o1o101

Still running into this once and a while. Still don't know what causes it or the solution. Have tried restarting several times, plenty of storage space, plenty of ram, nothing in logs.

7. pradyut_unity

pradyut_unity

Had this same problem. Killed Unity, deleted the Library / ScriptAssemblies folder and re-opened. Took a while but Unity did open. Hope that helps.

8. geniusz

geniusz

Same issue, I had a script error and entered safe mode, after fixed the error, Unity went into this state. 2020.3.24f1

9. chuggy25

chuggy25

I was stuck on this problem for a few hours, deleting the Library / Temp folders didn't help, neither did restarts, hard shutdowns, or different versions of unity. Somehow, giving full permissions of the project folder to all user groups did the trick. No idea why.

10. Cam_Fox

Cam_Fox

Stuck here too, 2020.3.24f1 in Windows 10. This is a vanilla project with some 3d assets and a couple 5 star editor extensions. At a loss how to get into my project (except I can trigger safe mode if I force stop and intentionally create a broken script)

Can confirm it's not hitting the cache server (Unity Accelerator) or doing anything really. It's just stopped.

Also, the same project opened about an hour ago with no issues.

@ Unity please help!

EDIT: a few hours later
    I rebooted the PC and then followed the advice from here:
    http://enemyhideout.com/2016/11/unity-tip-fixing-unity-hanging-at-startup/
    Especially this:
    "When Unity starts up, even if you can’t see anything, it is actually logging out a lot of information to the editor log files. The help files contain the location of these logs for your operating system. Frequently the last couple lines of the log may contain useful information about the issue."​

The last lines of the log showed Unity was indeed doing stuff, even though the UI was hung up. I started the project again and waited close to 1 hour and it finally took me to the editor. Something definitely seems wrong for it to take that long, especially since it was faster before - maybe the project corrupted itself somehow. I have another game in the same version of Unity and that other project worked just fine all afternoon, so it appears it was the project acting flakey and not my hardware.

Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
  11. azaridi

azaridi

Just a quick note,
    I have been having this issue for quite some time, especially when trying to enter play mode. the editor hangs with the 'Load Scripting Assemblies' popup. My solution is to kill (via task-manager) and restart the editor.

I have noticed recently that while the editor is hung , attaching the debugger to the hung process will ,after a couple of seconds resolve the issue. Its not much of a solution but maybe it will save someone some frustration!

12. LilGames

LilGames

Which debugger do you use?
    Also are you using Plastic SCM for version control? I am having this issue and it only started after migrating to Plastic SCM from Collaborate.

13. LilGames

LilGames

I read a solution elsewhere (or above) that you just edit something in VSCode, save, come back to Unity and it will stop hanging. It's terrible and is impacting my workflow constantly now, but at least this workaround is quicker than closing and restarting Unity.

14. unity_19B6CBFDEB374E42A9DE

unity_19B6CBFDEB374E42A9DE

I am also having this issue, but none of the fixes seem to help. I get stuck on 'reload script assemblies' whenever I hit start or basically try to do anything. This is with a new project having just imported assets. I can do literally nothing as even going into playmode can take twenty minutes...

15. validname1

validname1

You have to kill it in task manager and keep trying. Unity execs seemingly don't give a F*** for several years now so maybe consider another game engine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.