Search Unity

Load scene from asset bundle in unet multiplayer

Discussion in 'UNet' started by Deleted User, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

When i download levels as asset bundles from a webserver, i guess i have to propagate the current level to all users in any way so he can also download it, am i right?

But if so, and i tell him the currently playing scene, i also dont know how to load it on client side and join his player to the scene on the server. Usually the (unet) networkmanager done that for me.

Is there an easy way i havent found yet?

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

The only solution - switch to Unreal Engine

3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Unet was deprecated years ago. Go with another solution. But if you were using a matchmaker or master server the client connects to first, just have it tell the client what level the match will be running, the client downloads it if it doesn't already have it, then connects to the match.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ii have tried that even with local games and local assets, the clients have no reference to the played scene, they are alone in a local scene.. The developers has wrong priorities, they are implementing hundreds of new features before they finish an elemantary feature pronounced years ago.. Thats the way indie studios work. Anyways its time to switch to Unreal engine

5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Do you not know what "deprecated" means?

6. bestosma

bestosma

it's the launch trailer of the free Unigine Community Edition - not Unreal Engine. These are different 3D engines made by different companies

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

I know what "deprecated" means. Do you not know what "open source" means? you can stick to older versions as you like ;) Unet and even unity relay services (which i dont use) will remain supported in 2019.4 LTS for 2 years!!! Do you know what THAT means? It is still part of unity and supported, my friend. The Unet Relay services will even be supported until 2022 so please dont ask me such a stupid question if even unity states in theyr blog you still can use it. I guess they know it better than you little, rude one. https://ibb.co/cDqzhFt

And last but not least - There is a community driven Unet fork called Mirror, which isnt deprecated.

@bestosma you are right hahah i recognized that just right now :D thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2020
  8. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

You're straw manning. My question was in response to your complaint :
    Unet does not have a system for determining which asset bundles it would need to load specific scenes. That would be a new feature, and when Unity deprecates something, it will get exactly zero new feature development. None of that has anything to do with whether Unet in its current form is technically supported or not. That is an entirely different conversation.

But on the original question, I may have been unclear in my earlier comment. If you want this feature you'd just have to create it. It would actually be fairly simple to do. Good luck with your game.

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ok that makes sense. Glad that it might be easy to you. Maybe i will find someone who can tell me how to do that easy task. Bye