Search Unity

LLAPI Connect requires Internet Access?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by janharder, Sep 20, 2017.

1. janharder

janharder

Hello,
    I tried to find answers but I have not found a really good answer to my networking problem. As I am a self-learner I might have overseen something fundamental in that case I am sorry and would be very thankful for a helping hand to point me to the right direction.

The specs:
    - data transport from iOS to iOS using LLAPI
    - only Wifi connection (no mobile data)
    - using Unity 5.6.1
    - I do know all IP addresses and ports (no discovery needed)
    - Everything works in my test wifi (which has internet access)

But:
    The operational wifi has no internet access (because it is a company internal wifi). When my app reaches the Connect() call the connection can not be successfully established. Using Wireshark I tried to find out what happens and what I can see is that when the Connect Call is being made DNS communication is taking place with the DNS server:

From the Wireshark Logfile:
    13 4.208025 MyIPAdress 8.8.8.8 DNS 88 Standard query 0xdc70 A config.uca.cloud.unity3d.com

After that the connection cannot be build up (host unreachable).

After googling I found some discussions (https://forum.unity.com/threads/wha...ud-unity3d-com-in-my-tutorial-project.446624/) pointing to the direction that the query to config.uca.cloud.unity3d.com is related to sending HW stats to unity for analytics which can only be disabled having a pro account (which I don't).

Some more research infos:
    - I also tested this from macOS to iOS same issue
    - The operational network does allow UDP connections and should have no problems with ports blocked. I used iperf to test data transmission between iOS-iOS and macOS-iOS (to check if ports are open etc) and no problem up to 20-30 Mbit/s data runs

So my main question: Is the unsuccessful connection due to the non-working HW analytics network call? Is this intended (i.e. do I have to buy the Pro edition and my problem is solved?) or am I missing something different?

Thanks
    Jan

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Unity analytics should have nothing to do with UNET. Did you try a test of your app on a network that has internet access?

3. janharder

janharder

Yes, as soon as i have internet access the app works.

EDIT: I am rethinking what I have written before. I know both IP Addresses and I am inside the same network, and thus I said I do need no discovery. But looking at the Wireshark log files again I am not so sure anymore. When I test the app on a network with internet I can see that right before the sending starts the ARP message (Who has IP XYZ Tell MyLocalIPAddress) is sent followed by a rapid sequence of about 15-20 very small (27 byte) UDP packages that are routed again over the 8.8.8.8 and only after these packets the sending itself start with larger files containing my data. Is it possible that the first series is connected to a matchmaking/discovery service from unity?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017