Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Lightmap textures become darker when swapping from PC to Android.

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by Prodigga, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Prodigga

Prodigga

Our lightmap textures become darker when swapping from PC to Android.

Not using Precomputed Realtime GI. Only using Baked GI. Ambient Occlusion enabled. No lights in the scene. Ambient color light gray. (85% rgb). Our goal is to bake ambient occlusion.

The bake looks fine on PC, but when we swap to Android the lightmap textures become darker (Even if we re-bake the scene). Looks completely different.

Left is PC, right is Android

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Are you on 5.5.0p3?

3. Prodigga

Prodigga

No, I have tried this on 5.4.1f1 and the latest beta.

4. Prodigga

Prodigga

@AcidArrow tried 5.5.0p3 as well - same issue.

5. UDN_b12c25da-88c4-4cbb-bccc-4c7f86bfbf28

UDN_b12c25da-88c4-4cbb-bccc-4c7f86bfbf28

yes...I have the same problem,is baked system available in Android platform?

6. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

My guess would be the the color space, Linear on desktop VS Gamma on android.

7. Prodigga

Prodigga

No both are set to Gamma on my end.

8. lavi_mahal

lavi_mahal

do u guys found any solution for this????
    I m facing this problem too...... I on latest unity build (2017.1)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  9. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I've seen this in a few build around the 5.5 releases, but it was quickly fixed.

Since then I haven't seen it happen again and I'm building for android pretty regularly these days.

Have any of you made a repro scene? Submit a bug report with it and it could also be a good idea to post it here so we can see if it has anything to do with your specific computers or android devices, or something.

10. lavi_mahal

lavi_mahal

May be u know what is wrong with baking lightmap for android. I have read somewhere that lightmaps when used on android work as 2x LDR (converted from editor lightmap which is RGBM) so it losses its hdr information and looks dark.
    See my projects screens here
    May be u can guide me as u r building for android regularly.

11. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

That's true, but it means that some higher values are clamped, not that the overall texture gets darker.

12. lavi_mahal

lavi_mahal

So what I am doing wrong????
    I pretty much checked every option in lighting window.
    Please help

13. big_march

big_march

I met the same problem.
    Has anyone solved it?

14. lavi_mahal

lavi_mahal

Hope its not too late to reply,
    I just found that android doesn't support the baked lightmap in linear space and it fall backs to sRBG or LDR (not sure what it was called). So what I did was simply changed the color space back to gamma and pumped the ambient light very high to get a similar look. Its not the exact same but its almost same.

NGC6543 and pixelR like this.
  15. pixelR

pixelR

I can confirm that switching to gamma solved my problem too. It's a bit weird, as LWRP supported Linear color space well enough until I updated to Unity 2019.1.0b7 yesterday, so my specific scenarion might just be a temporary, unlucky combination of 2019.1 beta and LWRP 5.6.1 (and even LWRP 5.10.0) package...

But since I want to support a bit older devices too, if I can pull it off, I guess I'm better off with gamma color space anway.

16. NGC6543

NGC6543

I'm experiencing the same here on Unity2019.1.0f2 with LWRP v5.7.2. Looks like Unity Dev need to investigate this issue.

17. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

Make sure that Lightmap Quality is set to either Normal or High in the Player settings for the platform of your choice.

Here's a brief overview of what each setting does:
    • Low Quality -> dLDR (same as before)
    • Medium Quality -> RGBM (ETC2 compressed, ASTC on tvOS)
    • High Quality -> native HDR (RGB9e5, ASTC HDR for Android coming in a later PR)
    • OpenGL ES 2.0 only supports Low Quality, added warnings similar to Linear Rendering

18. NGC6543

NGC6543

Hi @kristijonas_unity , thanks for your reply.

I tried what you suggested, but didn't fixed my issue. I tried the Lightmap quality to both 'Medium' and 'High'.

This is the expected result(Editor), and Standalone build works fine :
    On Editor and Standalone.png

But on Android, it looks like this :
    On Android_Lightmap with linear color space looks darker.png

19. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

Seems like there's no ambient light in the second screenshot. What is your lighting setup? Could you please post a screenshot of your Lighting Settings?

Also, which color space are you using?

20. NGC6543

NGC6543

스크린샷 2019-05-09 오후 6.39.53.png

Also, I only use 1 mixed directional light so, I disabled Additional Lights and checked 'Mixed lighting' option in LWRP Asset.
    스크린샷 2019-05-09 오후 6.41.35.png

21. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

Please open a bug with a small repro project. Thanks!

NGC6543 likes this.
  22. NGC6543

NGC6543

It was a postprocess layer attached to the camera that causes the issue. But it's weird, since the postprocessing only affects a certain layer(Vehicle in my project) only, and all it does is anti-aliasing and Bloom.
    I'll do another research and if the problem persists, I'll submit a report then.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    kristijonas_unity likes this.
  23. NGC6543

NGC6543

I did some more test using another Android device(Nvidia Shield TV with genuine Android ROM) and the repro scene rendered as expected. My target device is a custom Android board(Hardkernel's Odroid XU-4 device with custom Android ROM(Lineage OS)) so fixing it looks very hard or never be achieved.:eek:

24. salma_unity986

salma_unity986

Facing the same issue while building using unity 2018.2.0f2 editor . Is this an issue because of postprocessing or lightmap baking ?

25. NGC6543

NGC6543

In my case, the problem lies on a hardware / OS side. My target device runs custom Android OS(Linease OS) and it looks like the OS has some bugs. I couldn't fix the issue.

26. salma_unity986

salma_unity986

Thanks for the reply , In my case upgrading project to Unity 2018.3 resolved the issue

27. God-at-play

God-at-play

I'm having this problem with 2019.3.0f5. Changing compression settings did not make a difference, at least for 32-bit EXR images. I'd prefer uncompressed lightmaps, and setting to None did not help either.

UPDATE: My problem is with the Unlit / Texture shader. If I use the workaround of switching to Mobile / Diffuse and then setting environment lighting to a white ambient with Intensity of 1, it works as expected. Not ideal, but hopefully it won't make a big difference for performance (this is for mobile VR, so every little bit helps).

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  28. JenniferNordwall

JenniferNordwall

Unity Technologies

Would you mind creating a new thread and add a bit more info? Thanks :)

29. OmarVector

OmarVector

I know its old post, but my case was SSAO as render feature was enabled in the render feature... removing that made the lightmap looks the same as in the editor... And I'm speaking for assets bundle not just the build

Its weird when building assets bundle and this happen to get darker lightmap if SSAO is enabled in render feature.

Should I file a bug regard that or what?