Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Lighting a fully procedural scene

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by FairGamesProductions, Mar 14, 2018.

1. FairGamesProductions

FairGamesProductions

Hello.

I am trying to improve the image quality of my app, the problem is that at the start of the app there is NOTHING in the scene aside from UI elements. All the environment and models are generated at runtime, without the use of any prefabs (aside from windows and doors) and the rest of the meshes are created from scratch once play is hit. I am already using the PP stack, and it is improving the base image slightly, but my problem is lighting the scene. Since everything is generated at runtime there is no way to bake anything. I have searched google and the forums extensively on this topic to no avail.

So I am hoping someone can point me in the direction of any kind of lighting solution(s) for this situation.
    This is what one of my scenes looks like. This was generated at runtime from a simple jpg of a floor plan:

The image and lighting quality is not bad, but it's not as good as I would like it to be.

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

It looks pretty decent. If your meshes are procedural, any kind of light baking goes out of the window, so you don't have too many options here.

Maybe if you'd be more specific on what you'd like to improve, I could come up with some suggestions.

3. FairGamesProductions

FairGamesProductions

Well for starters the image feels flat to me. Not sure how else to describe it.
    Second, I am still searching for a GI solution for procedural meshes so the lighting isn't so uniform everywhere you look. This also adds to that flat feeling IMO.
    Third I am just looking to improve the final image quality as much as possible. Be it through lighting or post effects or any other means.

4. TimothyThomasson

TimothyThomasson

Find any solution?

5. FairGamesProductions

FairGamesProductions

Unfortunately not yet. We are currently working on a system that can export our scene, bake the lighting externally and reimport the result.

6. TimothyThomasson

TimothyThomasson

Have you tried: SEGI ?? I am trying to get it to work myself on a similar project with procedurally generated rooms.

anattress likes this.
  7. FairGamesProductions

FairGamesProductions

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anattress and Minstreams like this.
  8. TimothyThomasson

TimothyThomasson

<3 let me know if you can get it to work... I am having a weird issue with blue artifacts... but maybe my comp just isnt powerful enough

9. FairGamesProductions

FairGamesProductions

Will do.

10. FairGamesProductions

FairGamesProductions

Unfortunately this tool is not solving our lighting issue. It seems to currently be incompatible with current workflow. We may be able to incorporate it later though.

But I think your issue may be your ambient light settings. Make sure to follow the set-up guide closely.

11. U7Games

U7Games

What happen in your scene is that your lighting is not matching with the background, that's why you see it flat, try to reduce Intensity Multiplier and add some point lights at window to simulate incoming external light.

Use Color grading PostProcessing, depending the time you want to simulate, if morning, predominate light blue if afternoon, predominate between pink and orange, if it is night the case, then try to reduce saturation and a bit of blue, if it is night and all dark, set external point light as blue, don't use very clean textures on your wall, add a normal map texture.

That was some tips a have been learning from a profesional photographer, helps a bit.

Mauri likes this.
  12. FairGamesProductions

FairGamesProductions

HOLY S***!
    I have no idea why I did not think of that! I will try this the moment I get to the office in the morning. Thanks for the tip!

U7Games likes this.
  13. U7Games

U7Games

Don´t forget to reduce ambient light (on Intensity multiplier)
    have a nice day