Search Unity

License activation issues "Machine identification is invalid for current license"

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by chubshobe, May 3, 2020.

1. chubshobe

chubshobe

I just did a clean install of Windows 10 x64, installed all of the updates and drivers. Installed Unity Hub, logged in and tried to activate a new license.
    When doing it through 'Activate New License' > Unity Personal > "I don't use Unity in a professional capacity", I get "Your license sucessfully activated", next message "Machine identification is invalid for current license".
    'Manual Activation'(completely new license, I didn't save my old one) - "Invalid license file"
    I went through every google result with same or similar issues, absolutely none of them worked. I've probably reinstalled Hub about 30 times so far.
    Followed articles such as - https://support.unity3d.com/hc/en-u...System-Why-is-my-license-failing-to-activate-
    Looked through the license files, and while other people's files have their mac address as the key 5 value, mine contains nothing: <Binding Key="5" Value=""/>
    I also submitted a bug report through the Hub, but I'm posting my issue here since last bug report I submitted a few months ago, I got absolutely no response.

I apologize, I completely missed the post in this section - https://forum.unity.com/threads/troubleshooting-licensing-errors-in-the-hub.850399/
    Sadly it still didn't solve my issue. I cannot find the 'Return License' button, probably because there's no license there. Is there any other way I can return my license? Would that even be of any use?

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    sigillic likes this.
  2. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

Hello @gomnosano !

We are sorry for the inconvenience you are experiencing but updating windows sometimes changes the machine id which invalidates the license related to your account. If you don't have any active license, you can't see the "Return License" button. You can check in this folder C:\ProgramData\Unity\ if you have a license file like "Unity_lic.ulf" and delete it if there is any (make sure you have no license). I will communicate your issue with the licensing team :)

chubshobe likes this.
  3. BasilUnity

BasilUnity

Unity Technologies

Sorry you're having trouble, @gomnosano . Let's get to the bottom of this together. First of all, you're using Unity Hub 2.3.1, right? Did you try manually deleting the
    Unity_lic.ulf
    file in
    %PROGRAMDATA%\Unity
    ? You'd have to quit Unity Hub via the 'Quit' menu option before changes take effect but it should allow you to go through the licensing flow again.

If that doesn't help, no worries. Can you please post your Editor, Hub and Licensing Client logs? You can refer to the last part (section 5) of the 'Troubleshooting Licensing Errors...' post for exact locations.

4. chubshobe

chubshobe

Thank you for the detailed replies. Yes, I'm using Unity Hub 2.3.1. I also tried manually deleting the .ulf in ProgramData/Unity. I've done that while restarting and reinstalling the hub/unity processes.
    I could only find the hub log, the folders for the editor and licensing don't exist.
    @BasilUnity

Attached Files:

5. dpshade22

dpshade22

Here are my logs, I'm experiencing the same issue

Attached Files:

6. chubshobe

chubshobe

We are both missing the MAC address 'Cannot find binding5 (MAC Address): ' for unknown reasons. @dpshade22 do you also happen to be using an ethernet to usb adapter?

7. chubshobe

chubshobe

Is there really no way to get back into Unity while all this is going on? :(

I'd use Unity in Linux, but it's broken there as well. I can get in the editor at least, but the mouse doesn't loop when looking around in the scene and the input system doesn't register mouse input properly and makes it completely unusable. It's not even a new issue either, it's been around since 2014.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  8. danielo_unity

danielo_unity

Unity Technologies

Can either (both?) of you post the results of the following (Powershell) command:
    $ Get-WMIObject MSFT_NetAdapter -Namespace root\StandardCimv2 | select Name,InterfaceDescription,InterfaceOperationalStatus,ConnectorPresent,PermanentAddress,NetworkAddresses,PNPDeviceID

Feel free to anonymize the results (we just need a general idea of the networking environment).
    Are either of you (both?) running either on VMs or worse, docker?

@gomnosano: Your logs indicate that the license file was edited (see statements with "invalid signature: for uri #Terms calculated digest" in info-log.json). There might be something else happening in this case.

9. chubshobe

chubshobe

@danielo_unity that might have been because I tried deleting the rest of the keys except 1 and 2, which didn't really do anything so I deleted the file and let it regenerate again. Here's my command output:

Name : Ethernet
    InterfaceDescription : Realtek USB GbE Family Controller
    InterfaceOperationalStatus : 1
    ConnectorPresent : True
    PermanentAddress : hidden
    NetworkAddresses : {hidden}
    PNPDeviceI :

Also no, not running on a VM/docker.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  10. BasilUnity

BasilUnity

Unity Technologies

The Unity license file contains a digital signature to prevent tampering. Any changes to the file will make it invalid.
    I'm curious: you don't have an on-board WiFi or Ethernet network adapter? It's fairly uncommon.

11. chubshobe

chubshobe

The on-board one stopped working a long time ago and I've been using an ethernet to usb adapter since.

12. BasilUnity

BasilUnity

Unity Technologies

Ah, fair enough! Thank you for reporting the issue. The team has what they need and are discussing solutions. I'll keep you updated on a fix.

There's a fairly annoying workaround involving manual activation that might unblock you until there is a proper fix. Do you have a Unity.Licensing.Client.log in
    %LOCALAPPDATA%\Unity\
    by any chance? If yes, can you post it? I'm wondering if maybe the Editor is seeing a MAC address we can bind a license to.

13. danielo_unity

danielo_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi.
    FYI: You can check which MAC address is being selected by running this utility program, packaged alongside the Hub:

$ "C:\Program Files\Unity Hub\resources\app.asar.unpacked\node_modules\@unityhub\unity-editor-license\build\Release\nativetest.exe"
    OS version string: 00330-52295-56525-ABOEM
    HDD Id: 00423_78_B150DE_23.E
    BIOS Id: R40X2B1A

MAC address: 48:1a:e3:7b:fb:be
    MAC Address 48:1a:e3:7b:fb:be is in list: yes

Check timestamp encryption: OGzN
    Check timestamp decryption: 123 (Expected decrypted value should be:123)

(the verbose flag '-v' can be helpful too)

If the result is empty, or matches with a virtual adapter (transient USB NIC, hypervisor, PPTP, Bluetooth, XBox, whatever), then there may be a problem, and (for now) we would recommend performing a manual activation.

Hope this helps

14. chubshobe

chubshobe

Yes I do, but the results of what Danielo said might interest you.
    Unity.Licensing.Client.txt

@danielo_unity here are the results of running the utility program:
    OS version string: 00330-80000-00000-AA644
    HDD Id: W -DCWSAC2881340
    BIOS Id: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

MAC address:
    MAC Address is in list: no
    Check timestamp encryption: OHzN

OS version string: 00330-80000-00000-AA644
    HDD Id: W -DCWSAC2881340
    BIOS Id: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

MAC addresses (WMI, connectorPresent:true):
    - Interface Name Description MAC address PNPDeviceID

MAC address:

MAC addresses (WMI, connectorPresent:false):
    - Interface Name Description MAC address PNPDeviceID
    - Ethernet Realtek USB GbE Family Controller 00:e0:4c:68:00:4b USB\VID_0BDA&PID_8153\000001

MAC addresses (GetAdaptersAddresses):
    FriendlyName Description MAC address IfType IfIndex OperStatus Flags
    - Ethernet Realtek USB GbE Family Controller 00:e0:4c:68:00:4b 6 4 1 0x1c5
    MAC Address is in list: no
    Check timestamp encryption: OHzN
    (I didn't hide the MAC address, it's just not there)

If you meant to perform a manual activation to be able to get a license and get in the editor, that doesn't work either.
    upload_2020-5-7_21-39-32.png
    upload_2020-5-7_21-40-34.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  15. danielo_unity

danielo_unity

Unity Technologies

During manual activation, before uploading the license file template, you have the opportunity to edit the file, and populate the MAC address of your USB adapter. Then proceed with activation, and the returned license should be valid.

chubshobe likes this.
  16. chubshobe

chubshobe

Finally! I've got an active license now!
    Thanks everyone for the help, if there's any more info you need on the issue I'd be happy to provide.

@dpshade22 if you still have this issue, try out Danielo's workaround.

17. BasilUnity

BasilUnity

Unity Technologies

We're happy to hear that! Thank you for the update.

chubshobe likes this.
  18. geecee2021

geecee2021

hi I am facing the same issue as mentioned here. How can I get my license back

x1alphaz1 likes this.
  19. x1alphaz1

x1alphaz1

i am facing same issue with HUB 3.1.0-beta.2
    i replaced my HDD and imaged the existing HDD to the new HDD
    now unityeditor doesnt open

on HUB 3.1.0-beta.1 UnityEditor shows the splashscreen and closes.
    on HUB 3.1.0-beta.2 UnityEditor shows "No valid Unity Editor License Found Please activate your license!"

Tried to return my licenses and activated new one, license seems fine in Hub but Editor still complaining

Hub Logs Attached
    Thanks

Attached Files:

20. jmaslaki

jmaslaki

I am having the same problem on 3.0.1. Maxine from Unity made an article saying that 3.0.1 beta would fix this problem but it doesn't.

x1alphaz1 likes this.
  21. x1alphaz1

x1alphaz1

no it doesnt cose beta2 is out now as well
    check this thread, people are using hub version 2.4.x and they posted some links however it's still not loading for me
    it's been 3 days
    i didnt completed system restore and still facing issues to load my projects.
    UNITY HUB is a big failure imo sorry but its too messy

https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-hub-cannot-activate-free-personal-license.1162637/

******* UPDATE **********
    HUB 2.3.2 is working for me ... my project just loaded
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-hub-cannot-activate-free-personal-license.1162637/
    scroll down to tianhaolan2008 answer, he posted a working link for HUB 2.x.x
    wow

Last edited: Mar 12, 2022