Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Know Issue List Long?

Discussion in '2017.2 Beta' started by MrEsquire, Aug 2, 2017.

1. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Beta 5 out and list is growing, whats the plan?

2. Prodigga

Prodigga

To fix them, obviously? What is the point of this thread other than just taking a jab at the devs? :p

3. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Well I was wondering if they plan to reduce the list in each beta or wait for one specific build

Not really a jab at the devs, just wonder how they work on bug fixing, is one beta specific to fixing one type of bug, this seems to be the case, as before some betas for example just included Animation fixes, some sound fixes etc.. never really a random list.. It makes sense to group bugs together.

They really trying to push the VR/AR stuff out...

4. PendingFox

PendingFox

I definitely agree with OP here, the beta release pattern has changed a lot, previously beta releases had a lot less regressions with each release.
    But I guess it's August - vacations time so team is short on human resources.

Anyway beta 2 comes with a Retina Support for mac os standalone builds so it's pretty important for everyone. I hope things will get fixed sooner so I could test that thing out, right now it's too raw.

MrEsquire likes this.
  5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

From time to time I imagine betas well have rough seas. They're there for you to test with, never to deploy with or depend on.

Do bear in mind that you do not use betas for bug fixes. You go to betas to find bugs and contribute to the fixing. For example maybe someone is curious about VR stuff and wants to do some early testing, maybe feed back. That's what it's for.

For production you can only rely on release builds.

6. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Even release versions ship with a bunch of known issues.

Beta 6 is out and it's really light on fixes for a second beta in a row. I feel like they are preparing for RC and that big Known Issues list worries me a bit. We'll see.

7. PendingFox

PendingFox

8. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I don't think I get what the deal with the Knows Issues list is. Unity has thousands of known issues as you can find in the Issue Tracker and they release updates every week that as well contain thousands of known issues.

I suppose the Known Issues on the beta page are just the bugs with the highest user pain? I think it was a good step to make those issues more prominent on the beta download page. In earlier betas (prior 5.6 maybe?), the Known Issues section were mostly non-existent, yet the build was often not functioning well.

I imagine the Known Issues section was added to set customer expectations, aka if you download this version we know it's broken to some degree and now you do too - so use carefully, and as a shield to not get bug-reports for perhaps the obvious things.

I believe I observed in earlier betas that Known Issues reduced to almost zero upon release. So it should be just a matter of time :)

hippocoder likes this.
  9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I often wonder what Unity's codebase actually looks like these days vs the old days.

10. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

LOL... scary thoughts

hippocoder likes this.
  11. PhilSA

PhilSA

They seem to be making a lot of large internal changes these days to make room for the HD renderer, the package manager, etc, etc... so it's not too surprising that there's lot of issues

If anything it's just a sign that they're working on some major stuff

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    Prodigga likes this.
  12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yeah well it's all trash! I want my game maker button, bright, glowing and rendered with path tracing.

Rennan24, Prodigga and PhilSA like this.
  13. rastlin

rastlin

The editor is very unstable for me, I get a crash probably every 15 min (Beta 6 & 8).

I worked briefly with 2017.1 and it looked fine, but I experienced crashes often when recompiling my external dll's.

I moved to 2017.2 to take advantage of the assembly definition files, and it seemed to reduce the crashes on recompilation, but actually introduced a slew of other bugs/crashes. Just filled a bug report on crash during prefab apply :) .

I would love if next few builds focused on overall stability of the Editor:oops:.

14. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Do you have any bug # we can follow up on for the crashes?

15. rastlin

rastlin

The prefab apply crash I reported is under (Case 943962). Just checked Beta 9 and it still occurs.

The did not bother yet to report crash on recompile as I was unable to identify reproduction steps yet.

Peter77 likes this.
  16. 4ringz

4ringz

Just echoing the constant crashes with the editor in b8. It's probably about 25% of the time I apply / save prefabs or save the scene, so I assume it's serialization-related. It's a huge annoyance, to say the least. I really hope this case is getting some attention, because it's a constant, major hindrance unlike some of the very minor known issues.

For reference, Windows 10 64bit, and these crashes occur with no editor extensions in a fairly simple project.

17. rastlin

rastlin

The error still occurs in beta10, it has been like this for at least 4 beta's already.

I've been informed it's a duplicate of a known issue, so I would assume it's been worked on for a while now. Hopefully it will get fixed soon, but if not, is there any workaround?

18. Ironmax

Ironmax

Wonder if particals.Play() ever will be fixed.

19. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Is it broken in 2017.2?

richardkettlewell likes this.
  20. CarlosRincon

CarlosRincon

Unity Technologies

rastlin, the prefab apply fix is definitely on our radar and indeed being worked on

CausticLasagne likes this.
  21. rastlin

rastlin

Thank you Carlos, it's nice to know this.

22. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Will Unity still release next week, not sure the target September will be met?
    Its gone very quiet with the updates these days..

23. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I hardly think so and if they really do, then it's probably going to be one of the releases I've to skip.

Physics is significantly slower in every Unity project I tested, unless you turn off the new autoSync feature. This will most likely affect every Unity project in the wild and I can imagine many customers don't like to see their game running significantly slower after an upgrade.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/cas...increase-for-physics-related-features.487502/

Dynamic batching does not work in a build at all, causing my game to render like a slideshow on some hardware.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/case-946946-dynamic-batching-not-working-in-a-player.491903/

GPU Instancing does not work on Xbox One. Again, causing major performance issues. I always wonder how they claim to support all those different platforms and if you actually start developing for it, you find major issues that sometimes make it even impossible to release a game.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/cas...-than-no-batching-at-all-uwp-xbox-one.491982/

UI Canvases render significantly slower. In 2017.1 my game is at 0.1 ms, in 2017.2.0b11 this takes more than 1ms. I didn't submit a bug-report for this issue, because I believe this is going to be fixed in the next beta.

These points alone make 2017.2 not a production candidate for me.

Then there is this other major pain-point for me, which is the constantly growing "EnterPlaymode" time. With almost every Unity release, this gets worse. Why Unity doesn't notice that, probably because they don't use their own software.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/cas...causes-slow-enterplaymode-performance.484482/

24. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Excellent post, was not aware of the issues as I lost interest in the latest betas after 2017 release. You can tell from discussion boards lot of padding being added, I would finish my existing list https://unity3d.com/unity/roadmap
    before adding new stuff. Talking about Xbox one I never managed get the game released as not even microsoft know where to get the Unity module from, I have full dev kit from microsoft.. Hence gave up.. I think they need work on supporting the platforms they claim to support instead just working on adding new features to the editor..

PS where is Android 8 and iOS11 etc announcements support... early adoption of AR and VR may sound great but only a few ppl out there will actually use it, let the rich studios get richer and the small fish smaller..business as usual masked by the friendlyness, days of the indie devs are dying out

25. rastlin

rastlin

I Carlos,

I figured I will let you know, that I tested the prefab thingy with 2017.3.0b1, and instead of a crash I get an exception - some improvement I guess :) . Here is the exception text:

Code (csharp):
    2. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    3. UnityEditor.PrefabUtility.RegisterNewObjects (System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] newHierarchy, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] hierarchy, System.String actionName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/ImportSettings/PrefabUtility.cs:121)
    4. UnityEditor.PrefabUtility.ReplacePrefabWithUndo (UnityEngine.GameObject target) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/ImportSettings/PrefabUtility.cs:223)
    5. UnityEditor.GameObjectInspector.DoPrefabButtons (UnityEditor.PrefabType prefabType, UnityEngine.GameObject go) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/GameObjectInspector.cs:347)
    6. UnityEditor.GameObjectInspector.DrawInspector () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/GameObjectInspector.cs:260)
    7. UnityEditor.GameObjectInspector.OnHeaderGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/GameObjectInspector.cs:170)
    8. UnityEditor.Editor.DrawHeader () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/Editor.cs:420)
    9. UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor[] editors, System.Int32 editorIndex, System.Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1115)
    10. UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditors (UnityEditor.Editor[] editors) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1020)
    11. UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:361)
    12. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <9c9f068c46c64ffd91fda7af157b4d15>:0)
    13. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    14. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <9c9f068c46c64ffd91fda7af157b4d15>:0)
    15. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at <9c9f068c46c64ffd91fda7af157b4d15>:0)
    16. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:295)
    17. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:288)
    18. UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (UnityEngine.Rect onGUIPosition) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:261)
    19. UnityEditor.DockArea.OldOnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:383)
    20. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI (UnityEngine.Event evt) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/UIElements/Managed/IMGUIContainer.cs:195)
    21. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleIMGUIEvent (UnityEngine.Event e) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/UIElements/Managed/IMGUIContainer.cs:333)
    22. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleEvent (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventBase evt) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/UIElements/Managed/IMGUIContainer.cs:317)
    23. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventDispatcher.DispatchEvent (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventBase evt, UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IPanel panel) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/UIElements/Managed/EventDispatcher.cs:250)
    24. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.DoDispatch (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.BaseVisualElementPanel panel) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/UIElements/Managed/UIElementsUtility.cs:251)
    25. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/UIElements/Managed/UIElementsUtility.cs:78)
    The release candidate 2017.2.0f1 still produces a hard crash.

26. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

When do they plan to release 2017.2 this friday?

27. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Should be fixed in f2.

Not this week.

28. CarlosRincon

CarlosRincon

Unity Technologies

rastlin - as Leonhard mentions the prefab apply fix didn't land in time for f1, but is in f2 (and in 2017.3 in time for b3)

Peter 77:
    Fix for this coming in f2.

I see this is being discussed separately in the thread you quoted.

Discussing with the team.

Will be addressed soon, likely in a patch soon after 2017.2.0 release

PhilSA, Peter77 and MrEsquire like this.
  29. ChrisJohnson

ChrisJohnson

30. CarlosRincon

CarlosRincon

Unity Technologies

User340 and ChrisJohnson like this.
  31. ChrisJohnson

ChrisJohnson

Nice, Thanks alot CarlosRincon! That is really good to hear.

32. PhilSA

PhilSA

33. Ironmax

Ironmax

Is the 2017 version naming replaceing The 5.6 + line? Or are both meant to be in production?

34. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Unity now uses a yearly naming scheme, which I guess, is the best choice for something constantly updated.
    2017.1 is the current release Unity at the time of this post. The next will be .2 (this beta) followed by .3 and eventually 2018.1 next year.

Fixes are backported because developers who ship products choose to lock their product to the version that is guaranteed most to work. To support this, Unity backports bugfixes, at a frequency that relates to how old the version of Unity is.

Ironmax and Peter77 like this.
  35. Ironmax

Ironmax

ok thanks for clarifying that.