Search Unity

Is this package dead?

Discussion in 'Unity Cloud Diagnostics' started by Jribs, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Jribs

Jribs

Looking to get some crash reporting / user feedback implemented into my project and am looking at this stuff.

Their example projects havent been updated in years.
    Half the links in the documentation take you to 404s.
    The package itself hasnt been updated in ~1.5 years.
    Browsing the forums there seems to be a lot of issues that never get resolved.

I'm only asking this because I really need a product like this and am hoping someone can tell me what i'm seeing isnt true.

Is this product abandoned?
    What other solutions are there?

Menion-Leah and yutol2007 like this.
  2. Korindian

Korindian

I'd also like to know what the status of this package is. User reporting looks like it's going to be hidden from the package going forth according to this thread.

Is User Reporting going to be developed further, is it going to be or already a part of another package, or is it going to be deprecated? @ryanc-unity

3. Korindian

Korindian

Anyone?

4. Jribs

Jribs

I am taking this to mean this is an abandoned project.

5. pistoleta

pistoleta

This is concerning

6. Dave-Carlile

Dave-Carlile

Any update on this? There is code in the package that doesn't compile in 2020.2. Is this going to be continued at all? What about the SDK? Is it safe to develop our own UI for the user reporting if the prefab isn't going to exist? I mean, there's a whole section of the Unity dashboard that collects user reporting and exception information. Is that going to continue to exist or should we pursue something outside of Unity?

Some communication on this would be helpful.

7. Dave-Carlile

Dave-Carlile

8. hamilton_unity

hamilton_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Dave-Carlile, hope you had good holidays. I'm looking for answers for you. Will post again shortly.

Dave-Carlile and tessellation like this.
  9. tessellation

tessellation

10. LeeLorenzSr

LeeLorenzSr

Ugh. I am releasing a game on Steam on the 29th, and the reviewers crashed the game, somehow, just clicking on main menu options, and I have NO IDEA what happened. I wasted half the night trying to get this working in Unity 2020.2 for my app. @hamilton_unity is there an update?

In 5 years of development, I've never had it do this. I really need to get some answers the next time this happens.

11. Dave-Carlile

Dave-Carlile

My holidays were great. Still waiting to hear some information on this package.

12. Dasp

Dasp

@hamilton_unity I think half a month is more than enough for some update?

13. dogboydog

dogboydog

Dasp likes this.
  14. xjjon

xjjon

Terrible decision from Unity

15. hamilton_unity

hamilton_unity

Unity Technologies

Hello @Dasp, @Dave-Carlile, @LeeLorenzSr, @tessellation and all,
    I'm sorry it took longer than expected to get you the most accurate and up to date answer, but here it is coming from the team in charge of Cloud Diagnostics at Unity.

"Feb 2021. Many of our customers rely on Cloud Diagnostics (CD), and we recognize their need for continuity, and our responsibility to invest in and improve the product. For that reason, and as of this week, we've realigned CD to be a part of our Operate Solutions offerings, now bringing it into the fold with our teams that help you operate and monetize live games.
    Furthermore, we are going to invest in building the offering out, though at this time are not able to provide exact details or timing.
    Unity remains committed to your success and helping you make great games. If CD doesn't currently have the features you need to implement today, we do suggest that you check out Backtrace I/O - a Unity Verified Solutions Partner.
    If you're interested, we would be happy to connect you to our partner team there for a demo - just let us know."

I hope this brings some clarity.

rzubek and Korindian like this.
  16. Dave-Carlile

Dave-Carlile

17. xjjon

xjjon

You could try Crashlytics - it has unity SDK but it's mostly for mobile platforms

18. Dave-Carlile

Dave-Carlile

Yeah, I'll find something. This just reinforces my belief that nobody should ever embrace any of these services Unity puts out and never finishes and abandons.

Menion-Leah and xjjon like this.
  19. xjjon

xjjon

yeah it's a shame as unity diagnostics has an advantage over any other solution is that it is initialized before any game code runs, so you can capture launch exceptions... where any other solution won't work until Awake() can be called

Dave-Carlile likes this.
  20. Falondrian

Falondrian

@hamilton_unity This is exactly the reason why people stop using any "optional" Unity Features, we see the same pattern with so many things your teams create. Awesome tech demo, everyone hyped, everyone investing time to integrate it and then silent death without any concrete information, even if you ask for it.

I get it, its just a Preview, however, this package is so good and so neccessary! Full transparency on crashes should be a top prio. Fewer crashes means the games monetize better and also helps with engine stability which in turn helps you to hold your customers. Now you refer us to some third party that wants at least 600$ a year for the same features that this package already offers (just a little worse because they cannot catch startup crashes).

While this sounds good: "We are going to invest in building the offering out",
    ... the following leaves me completely clueless as to what I should do now with this package: "though at this time are not able to provide exact details or timing".

Please, at least give us a rough estimate or tell us that you throw a single developer at this from time to time to maintain it...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  21. Francoimora

Francoimora

2 days of my life lost *again* because of Unity. I don't know why I'm keep on hoping that something can work as advertised.

Menion-Leah and Dave-Carlile like this.
  22. Francesco-FL

Francesco-FL

Falondrian and ValeryNikulina like this.
  23. Francesco-FL

Francesco-FL

From what I see, however, the package doesn't seem to have been updated, or maybe I haven't looked for it in the right place

24. pistoleta

pistoleta

Francesco-FL likes this.