Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this a good idea for a game?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by pyrokan76, Feb 10, 2015.

1. pyrokan76

pyrokan76

Hello there i'm here to present my game idea.

So it's a fighting game where you play as a robot but the thing about this game is that you are falling from 1000 meters in the sky And one person has to win before you hit the ground, and if you hit the ground it's a draw,so what's you're opinion of this idea please leave answers in the comments.

2. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

Reminds me of an awesome card game called "Falling" where the goal is to be the last goblin to hit the ground.

It could be cool... it's definitely different. I approve of different.

3. pyrokan76

pyrokan76

4. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

Just so you know... it only takes about 15 seconds to fall 1KM...

Falling time can be calculated as

t = sqroot( ( 2* height) / gravity)

5. pyrokan76

pyrokan76

Hmm you're correct I now think the height should be around 120000 meters or 120 kilometers

6. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

156 seconds is a long time for a fighting game round.

I think it's probably better to just... make the round last how long a round takes and say it's however high up as you want it to be. :)

It's a game after all.

7. pyrokan76

pyrokan76

Yep it is, and thanks for you're opinion :)

8. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

So, mechanically, how does this make it unique from other fighting games? I mean, there's usually a time limit that results in a draw anyway. All this is doing is making it a splatty draw.

What does falling offer that other existing games do not?

9. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

That's assuming constant drag, though, right? If people are fighting I suspect their drag profiles will be pretty dynamic.

On that note, there's one mechanical difference - players will have some control over the time limit.

But also, what will you do to encourage players to remain together?

10. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

So an aerial combat game with a time limit? You could do some interesting things with physics.

Why not just build a prototype? You should be able to knock something up in a couple of days. If its fun, finish it. If not, abandon and move on.

11. Schneider21

Schneider21

The vision that popped into my head when @pyrokan76 proposed the idea was chaotic. Back in December my wife and I went indoor skydiving, and it was crazy difficult to keep yourself still. As in, you make a fist with your right hand, and all of a sudden you start moving that way.

I definitely don't think realistic air resistance simulation is important to this game. Rather, as you're attacking, blocking or whatever you're doing, the camera would shift somehow to simulate that bit of disorientation, and your player's movement would be dictated by what you're doing as well.

Like, what if the only way to move backwards away from your opponent was to open yourself up for attack? And taking a swing at him would move you forward quickly, so if you missed, you now have your back exposed? And maybe trying to kick puts you into a spin and you're upside down. There are some good possibilities for chaotic, messy gameplay.

Alternatively, the whole point of it could be that it's impossible to control. Kinda like Soccer Physics, which has the hilarious instruction of "Push the button to somehow control your team". Even better opportunities for hilarity, there. If you go this route, including replays and social sharing is a must for success.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  12. goldbug

goldbug

As a skydiver, I can tell you that the formula is not correct because it fails to take into account wind resistance.

The faster you go the more wind resistance you face. There is a point at which it is equal to gravity, so you don't accelerate or decelerate anymore but fall at constant speed. This is called terminal velocity. If you are falling belly down, the average terminal velocity for a human body is 120 miles/hour. One can go faster or slower at will by changing your body position, for example if you fall standing, you can reach 180 miles/hour terminal velocity.

A rule of thumb any skydiver can tell you: The first 1000 feet take 10 seconds, every other 1000 feet take 5 seconds.

13. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

You can always spawn the ground at the last instant.

Kiwasi and DanSuperGP like this.
  14. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

Yeah... trying to make it work while the characters are actually falling is probably a bad idea.

15. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Floating point considerations would also bite you with a long fall. Have the players fight at the origin in zero g. Then slam the ground up at the appropriate moment.

DanSuperGP likes this.
  16. pyrokan76

pyrokan76

thanks for all of you're opinions :) of and if any of you would like to help that would be great i'm not that good at programming

17. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

You'd want to have some visual trickery so it looked like you were approaching the ground, though.

You could set things up so that the floating point imprecision wasn't an issue, though.

18. ostrich160

ostrich160

These are the best kind of ideas. I still stand by that an idea is worth nothing, but to me 'Its an MMORPG with thousands of players and each one operates a massive robot that can fly to other planets and turn into a city and then you colonize other planets' is nowhere near as good as 'A 2 player fighting game where you have a time limit'. Because the latter is simple, its feasible, and its got a nice mechanic to it.

As said by Penguin, you'd want to make it look like you were falling, rather than actually doing so. And then you can just have a time limit it lasts for, and when it reaches 0 the ground kind of moves up (which will look like your moving down to), and yeh you get the idea.

Ryiah and DanSuperGP like this.
  19. Deleted User

Deleted User

You could make a parallax scrolling background that goes from bottom to top.

@Schneider21 That's a cool idea.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2015
    angrypenguin likes this.
  20. AussieSwissDave

AussieSwissDave

Sounds fun :)

Maybe you could try a unique control scheme with a controller where each analogue stick controls the arms (flick up to punch) and each trigger the legs (press down to kick)? Could be fun :) The bumpers could add some extra moves.

21. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

I'm looking forward to seeing the prototype for this in the friday feedback...

22. pyrokan76

pyrokan76

sadly the project is scrapped all of the files got deleted somehow:(

23. Schneider21

Schneider21

:eek:

That's no reason to quit! Start fresh, using what you did last time as a learning block and head-start for version 1.1!

And get some source control in place! We all make this mistake once... With me it was on a website that I had no backup files for, and it got hacked by a group that targets enemies of the state of Turkey. :confused:

If you've never used source control before, I recommend learning Git as your next step.

24. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I'm guessing one of these robots will be purple and the other one red? Don't forget Beethoven's ninth.

;)

Oh, you should check out the last boss in the PSX Ghost in the Shell game for another falling robot fight.

25. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I like the concept.

26. khanstruct

khanstruct

No. Just... no

27. Genkidevelopment

Genkidevelopment

This idea makes my imagination purr... Don't give it up, it phases very nicely...

You could tie the two characters together with a chain around the waist to stop one 'wimping out and doing a fight night 3'... this would also allow for some great mechanics, actually tightening the chain to pull your opponent in and such, very cool... Also, maybe the winner would have a way out? A way to not 'splat'? otherwise, I feel myself and my opponent would strike a cease-fire and together enjoy our plight in harmony :D

28. Abelabumba

Abelabumba

I love the chain.

29. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

You can make your dodge mechanic to increase your air resistance so you momentarily fall slower than the attacker.

30. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I bet you a fighting game where your falling from a building and it takes 15 seconds to hit the ground would do well.

31. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Prototype it, and let us see for ourselves.

32. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Aerial combat without jumping. I could imagine this to be pretty fun, actually :D
    Also: both players should have a parachute and only the one who wins opens before hitting the ground.

33. tedthebug

tedthebug

There'd be a lot of playing with drag to try & be up higher so you are hitting them down (or would it be forcing you up? My physics isn't good). Also being under them, grabbing & trying to spin them so they are pointing down to reduce their air resistance so they fall quicker. The tactics involved would be a lot different than a normal fighter.

You could have a variant where they race down but the winner has to hit the ground with the parachute open. They'd have to time opening it so there is enough time to slow the fall but not enough that the other player could interfere with the 'chute.

Would this be a 2d or is it 3d? & If it's 3d does each player control their own camera or is it a fixed perspective?