Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a tutorial for bacis RTS game?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Kgocb001, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Kgocb001

Kgocb001

Hi,
    I'm looking for basic tutorial how to make simple classic RTS game (like Red Alert 1), preferably in 2D, but if there is a tutorial for 3D then I'll take it.

I'm looking for very basics, like:
    - unit creation (e.g. Tank with rotating turret)
    - unit selections / healt bars
    - map making and unit movement (e.g. land / forest / sea)
    - fog of war
    - base building
    - resource mining / harversters.

I tried to look over internet, but all I can find is either paid ready assets or premium tutorials that show you only a sneak peak.

It would be great it the scripting would be done in C#, but I doubt I would be so lucky.

P.S I tried to put this in "Answers" part of the comunity page, but somehow the "Answers" page seems to not see my "UnityID" and don't let me ask question there :(

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

The only extensive tutorial series that I was able to find through a search of YouTube was the following one.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD3ijEzzOibA5sdTGK8LemEqF_qZbKwOB

It's in 3D but switching to 2D is mostly a matter of having the necessary sprite assets, setting the correct camera angle, and setting the camera to orthographic instead of perspective. If you've gone through the Unity Learn tutorials then you'll be able to adapt the tutorial on the fly and if not I recommend starting there instead of here.

3. Kgocb001

Kgocb001

Thanks! This YT tutorial seems to be perfect for start.