Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Is it possible to make an AR/VR game using only Cardboard and an Android/IOS phone?

Discussion in 'AR' started by trefle12, Apr 6, 2021.

1. trefle12

trefle12

I have looked at some of the solutions, but most of them are deprecated. I'm just looking for a way to make an AR/VR Multiplayer game for my final project. It appears no one has ever done real life camera integration into their VR cardboards.

2. Jason0300

Jason0300

Creating a VR experience is straightforward. Instead of displaying your world as a single image on the screen, you display two images. Additionally, with some judicious use of motion sensors, you can detect the direction the user is facing. Combine that with the 3D world you’ve created, and you’ve got yourself an immersive experience.

In practice, it takes some pretty sophisticated hardware to display two images on a high-definition screen, along with tracking the user’s head, and putting that all into a device small and light enough that it doesn’t hurt your neck.
    Well, it turns out that such highly advanced technology is probably in your pocket or sitting within arm’s reach. It’s in almost every smartphone, and that’s the idea behind Cardboard; it can take the display and sensors in your phone and turn them into a respectable VR device, using just some cardboard and plastic lenses.

3. trefle12

trefle12

This is a good read, but I'm just looking for a way to get a stereoscopic view that I can use inside my AR game. Afaik there is no easy way to obtain this.