Search Unity

Is C# socket multiplatform?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by studiostartunity, May 15, 2019.

1. studiostartunity

studiostartunity

Hello,
    I've been involved in a multiplayer game development and in those last days I'm evaluaring some solutions. I already have a strong knowledge about TCP NodeJS server side app development, so I'd like to connect Unity with my TCP server app.
    I've seen that this can be easily done using C# standard socket framework but I was wandering if this system is multiplatform or I have to expect it will work only on a limited number of platforms. Basically, I need to develop a TCP solution that will work on dekstop, mobile and consoles (mainly Playstation).

Can anyone tell me if I can use C# socket for all platforms or if I have to look at other tools?

Thanx!

2. TwoTen

TwoTen

C# Sockets can be used in most places, the exceptions are WebGL as can be read here. I think some platforms like xbox have certain restrictions that you must follow. But I am not too sure about that.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Not a lot is discussed openly on the forum about the limitations on the various consoles, I believe this is NDA related and they have their own specialty forums. Mobile and desktop standalone can use the Socket class. Certain delivery platforms may have their own limitations, such as I believe the Apple App Store requires IPv6 support.

4. studiostartunity

studiostartunity

Thanx for your replies.
    Googling around I didn't find any exhaustive info about this topic. I understand that Playstation related infos are rare because of the complexity to publish to this platform, but I hoped to find something.