Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

IPA size

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by cedhikari7, Mar 18, 2015.

1. cedhikari7

cedhikari7

Hello,

I didn't see any subject related to this in the forum, so sorry if the question has already been asked.
    I have found out that, on my project, when I build with UCB, the ipa is about 60MB and when I build on my mac, I get a 53MB ipa. Both are working correctly but obviously, the smaller, the better ...

I was wondering what was the reason ?

Thanks,
    Cedric

2. David-Berger

David-Berger

Unity Technologies

Are you sure you use the same settings and have downloaded the .ipa to desktop compared it locally? If you use the the overview size in UCB it's in MiB which is a fontend bug which we will resolve soon. Do you use any stripping settings which could be different, or features which work locally but are not valid because of your used plan in UCB?

3. cedhikari7

cedhikari7

Well,

I have downloaded .ipa from plateform and it is the same size as displayed 62.1MB.
    I use "strip assemblies" option but I can't see in UCB a way to change it, so I assume it is the same ?!
    I don't see any features I could use that would impact the size, the game is the same from a user point of view with UCB or with a local build.

4. David-Berger

David-Berger

Unity Technologies

Seems all correct.

Building a executable the website shows 19MiB the .ipa download is 19.2MB unzip it provides a 113.1MB big .app
    Archiving in XCode the same projects puts provides a 223MB dSYM + app archive and provide a 113 MB big .app

both with a 22.6MB big executable (armv7 - mono).

Which sizes do you compare?

5. cedhikari7

cedhikari7

Hello,

Archiving in xcode puts a 297.7MB .xarchive and provide a 53.4MB app.
    On UCB, website shows 62.18 MB, download is 65.2MB, and unzip it is 215.7MB

PlayerSettings are the same.
    I am using Unity 4.6 on my mac, and "Always Use Latest 4.x" on UCB

6. cedhikari7

cedhikari7

and the exe file inside is 18,7MB generated with my mac and 30,9MB generated with UCB

7. David-Berger

David-Berger

Unity Technologies

If you use Local Unity 4.6.0f1 and "Always Use Latest 4.x" which is probably 4.6.3f1 then you will have different sizes (as far as I know), please ensure to use the correct version in both cases and compare them again please! Let us know if this helps.