Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

iOS8 / XCode6 compatibility

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by JChilton, Jun 2, 2014.

1. JChilton

JChilton

Has anybody had any attempt at upgrading projects and/or breaking everything, or other compatibility issues?

Or is it too early to know yet?

2. _Carl

_Carl

I'm upgrading now so will post back with results, although in the keynote they said they were working with Unity and the other big names I don't think Unity will take advantage of Metal until 5?

3. GMM

GMM

I'm basing this on what Epic Games have said regarding Metal implementation in Unreal Engine 4, their situation regarding releasing new builds must be the same as Unity Technologies.

There will not be any public builds that support Metal untill iOS8 publicly releases(by this i am assuming the Xcode 6 SDK). Due to a lack of iOS developer validation issues they cannot post a new build to developers that include Metal support as they would be breaking the NDA between Apple and the developer.

Considering iOS7 launched last September after a similar timed announcement, you shouldn't be banking on there being any third party Metal supported builds out before the ending of July/the start of September. Knowing Unity, this feature will be a part of Unity 5 and any support would not be added untill a major release sometime in the fall or maybe even later.

4. chaseholton

chaseholton

I've updated to OS X 10.10, and iOS 8.0, and tried building out my project using Xcode 6.0 beta and boy oh boy I can't figure out what's up... Errors abound!

I haven't changed anything in the Unity project itself, nor clicked anything else extra in Xcode. This same build worked fine on iOS 7.1, same version of Unity, Xcode 5.1... So I'm not sure if it's just an adjustment that must be made on Apple's end with Xcode, or on Unity's end... I'm so confused haha. I never spend much time in Xcode since Unity makes it all magical and happens great. This is new to me!

The errors are related to: GLeshelper.mm .... whatever that means, I assume something with OpenGL ES... I've tried automatic in Unity before export... I've tried Open GL ES 2.0 and forced ES 3.0... still... same thing. Both on my iPhone 5 and iPad Air!

Any light to be shed would be wonderful. If I can help in any way, please let me know!

5. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

We are looking into it(tm) :)

6. r618

r618

7. TDMIsh

TDMIsh

I loaded iOS8 on my iPad Mini Retina and OSX10.10 my MacBook. Had some build errors with Unity (but I honestly kind of expected as much, no fault to Unity).

These have Semantic errors in CMVideoSampling.mm
    sampling->cvTextureCacheTexture = CreateTextureFromCVTextureCache(sampling->cvTextureCache, cvImageBuffer, w, h, GL_BGRA_EXT, GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE);
    GLES_CHK(glTexImage2D (GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGBA, w, h, 0, GL_BGRA_EXT, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, texData));

I wouldn't recommend installing on a main development machine just yet, if you have any timely updates you need to work on in the interim. I'm sure there will be some known work arounds shortly.

8. _Carl

_Carl

Have you tried using Xcode 5 within 10.10? I haven't tested yet but will do shortly.

9. TDMIsh

TDMIsh

Actually, I did try that and it still worked however I couldnj't recognize the iPad with iOS8 unless XCode6 was also installed (till ran it with XCode5). My iPad went into recovery mode when I tried to upgrade it, ended up having to restore it as it went into recovery mode, but now seems ok.
    iOS8: Overall recommendation is only install this on a non-essential device for the time being. A few of the third party apps are failing (Google Hangouts, Facebook), overall unresponsiveness, and crashes. Stuff you would expect from a first beta.
    OSX 10.10: having issues with Unity Asset Server hosting. Unity itself runs fine (4.5.0). VMWare Fusion does not run on Yosimite at this time (neither v5 nor v6). So far seemingly stable from what I've played with so far.
    -Attempting to revert back to Mavericks on my Mac Mini for Asset Seerver using Time Machine Restore
    -Running on my MBP

10. chaseholton

chaseholton

AHhh at least it isn't JUST my game build then. That really takes a load off... I should have figured it would be a beta issue. Stupid me.

Either way, I always love testing betas. It's a sort of... Catch 22. Hate the issues, but love to help test the betas... Leaving me in quite the predicament when I face the true horrors while doing something I enjoy.

Ugh.

Here's to hoping the issue is fixed in Xcode 6 beta updates or a Unity mobile module update :)

11. santi_sme

santi_sme

I just compile my game again substituting GL_BGRA_EXT for GL_RGBA.

Guillaume-Swing and dpkonofa like this.
  12. chaseholton

chaseholton

Ahhh shoot, I wish mine worked that simply... I have a few errors aside from a GL_BGR8_OES or something... I have a few GL_DEPTH_COMPONENTS and things like that. Any clues?

I haven't found a GL_BGRA_EXT in the Xcode project at all. :(

13. chaseholton

chaseholton

Okay now I found it, changed the errors to something that would seemingly allow me to compile... but the screen is all rotated funky. Like in Portrait, it's trying to render it landscape, and in landscape its all stretched and squished super thin.

Interesting lol

14. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

I can also confirm, number of errors popped up when trying compiled on iPad Mini.
    Xcode 6 + iOS8 - Unity 4.5 and Mavericks 10.9
    I understand its beta but good to be fast with these things, so hope a patch is released soon.

15. santi_sme

santi_sme

You can change all the GL_XXXXX_OES stuff by GL_XXXXX and try to compile again.

16. chaseholton

chaseholton

have you found it to build out and play properly doing this change??

EDIT:

Okay well I found out that even though I have a little "?" next to my iPhone in Xcode 5.1.1 since my phone is 8.0, I can still build in Xcode 5.1.1 with no issues whatsoever. That's awesome. Takes a load off.

So keep using the ol' Xcode for now... Problem solved for the interim.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  17. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

There is patch to try..
    0) backup your Xcode project
    1) download fix.patch.zip
    2) unzip it into root Xcode project folder
    3) open Terminal and go to your Xcode project root folder
    4) run: patch -p1 < fix.patch

Attached Files:

18. chaseholton

chaseholton

Thanks for the prompt response in this fix! However, call me a bit of a noob... I'm not sure how to run the patch via terminal. It keeps saying the file doesn't exist... Am I missing something in the syntax?

I copy my folder and paste the direct directory into terminal then type "patch -p1 < fix.patch" from that directory but it says it doesn't exist. I'm probably missing something very basic here haha I don't spend enough time in terminal :S

19. rmeas

rmeas

Thanks for the quick fix, Mantas! I can confirm that the fixes work with Unity 4.5, Xcode 6 beta, iOS 7.1.

The patch does not apply correctly though. I generated a new patch which is attached. It's a .txt so that it could be uploaded to the forum, but `patch` does not care what extension the patch file has.

Follow the same instructions Mantas gave.

Attached Files:

20. hellaFont

hellaFont

Where do we download fix.patch.zip?
    Will it fix the landscape/portrait rendering problem?

I'm running osx 10.10, ios8, and xcode 6.
    My game get's two errors (both of which are the same error in different spots):
    Classes > Unity > CMVideoSampling.mm
    Line 50 -> Use of undeclared identifier 'GL_BGRA_EXT'
    Line 64 -> Use of undeclared identifier 'GL_BGRA_EXT'

I fixed these by replacing GL_BGRA_EXT with GL_RGBA in both instances.

But when I run my game, I get the same odd landscape/portrait problem, see the attached image.
    My game is supposed to only support landscape, but it renders sideways with xcode6. Oddly enough, if I build my game with xcode5, and use ios7, but then upgrade to ios8 after the app is already on my iphone - it works as expected lol.

Attached Files:

21. hellaFont

hellaFont

I noticed that if I build the game in unity with all orientations supported (portrait, upside down, landscape left, landscape right), the landscape orientations work properly with xcode 6 and ios8. However I still have to replace GL_BGRA_EXT with GL_RGBA before building the game in xcode6.

22. blueteak

blueteak

You can still build to iOS 8 with latest release XCode version, works fine. Just XCode 6.0 beta that is giving the errors.

23. CrossRiverGames

CrossRiverGames

I'm having a similar issue with my Unity project not compiling with the Xcode 6 beta and the iOS 8 SDK. Xcode 6 gives me five errors, all in the GlesHelper.mm file (which, if I'm not mistaken, is part of Unity). All five are semantic issues:
    • Line 63: Use of undeclared identifier 'GL_RGBA8_OES'
    • Line 123: Use of undeclared identifier 'glRenderbufferStorageMultisampleAPPLE'; did you mean 'glRenderbufferStorageMultisample'?
    • Line 133: Use of undeclared identifier 'GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT24_OES'
    • Line 135: Use of undeclared identifier 'GL_DEPTH24_STENCIL8_OES'
    • Line 143: Use of undeclared identifier 'glRenderbufferStorageMultisampleAPPLE'; did you mean 'glRenderbufferStorageMultisample'?
    For comparison, I built the exact same project in Xcode 5 with the iOS 7.1 SDK and it worked perfectly.

24. musikit

musikit

Here is my guess as i do not have 10.10 xcode 6 or ios 8.....

in opengl es 2.0 glRenderbufferStorageMultisample was an extention. i believe in this case an apple specific extentsion. so glRenderbufferStorageMultisampleAPPLE. similiarly with the _OES these were extensions.

however in opengl es 3.0 they are part of the base API.

so.. my guess is the fault is one of the following

1. that apple changed their opengl 2.0 es header files are renamed those extensions OR
    2. that the default <OpenGLES/gles.h> (or similiar file) points to opengl es 3.0 in ios 8.

if it is #2 then it should be very easy to go into that file and update the header location to the proper location. good luck.

25. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Today we shipped Unity 4.5.1, it should fix for compilation issues. Though there is know problem of AA and Stencil always being disabled when building with Xcode 6. Another fix will follow soon.

26. scsachira

scsachira

I was able to build the project by including

#include <OpenGLES/ES2/glext.h>

to

CMVideoSampling.mm file. Project seems to work fine for now. Will update in here if I notice any abnormality.

27. hellaFont

hellaFont

@scsachira, did you replace
    #include <OpenGLES/ES2/gl.h>
    with

or did you just add

?

28. mobiers

mobiers

As far as I am concerened, XCode 6 Beta needs a MAC based operating system X version i.e., 10.9.3 or 10.10. However, it may also include SDKs for OS X for all 3 versions including 10.9, 10.1 along with iOS 8.

29. smorel

smorel

Quick fix -- not super clean by the way --

in CMVideoSampling.mm

adds

#include <OpenGLES/ES3/gl.h>

#include <OpenGLES/ES3/glext.h>

in GlesHelper.mm

adds

#define GL_RGBA8_OES GL_RGBA8

#define glRenderbufferStorageMultisampleAPPLE glRenderbufferStorageMultisample

#define GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT24_OES GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT24

#define GL_DEPTH24_STENCIL8_OES GL_DEPTH24_STENCIL8

shanth likes this.
  30. dpkonofa

dpkonofa

Thanks for this... This got me back up and running temporarily. :)

31. CrossRiverGames

CrossRiverGames

I just tried to compile my project with Unity 4.5.1 and Xcode 6 beta 2. It didn't work. This time, I took a screenshot of the error I got:

xc6error.png

Just to make sure it wasn't the project at fault, I compiled the same project in Xcode 5, and it worked. I thought that you folks at Unity would like to know about this error, so I'm posting it here.

TeorikDeli likes this.
  32. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

This probably means that Unity 4.5.1 is not yet compatible with iOS8 Simulator. Please submit a bug report.
    Thanks!

33. CrossRiverGames

CrossRiverGames

Bug reported.

34. coquifrogs

coquifrogs

When running apps built with iOS 7 SDK on iOS 8 (betas 1-3) devices the orientation is wrong. For instance, we have "Landscape Right" selected in the resolution settings, but the app is running in portrait orientation. Is there an easy fix for this in the AppController? We'd like to get a fix pushed before iOS 8 is released. I'm working on getting a repro project but after I upgraded the device I'm testing with to iOS 8 beta 3 I can no longer build directly to it with Xcode 5.1.1...

35. coquifrogs

coquifrogs

I figured out a fix. In UnityAppController.mm, I changed the line in the UnityInitTrampoline function that sets
    _ios80orNewer to just assign false. I didn't test other orientations but it fixes the issue I was having.

36. petrapparent

petrapparent

I'm experiencing problems with iOS 8 beta 3, where Application.dataPath (i.e. $APPDIR/Documents) cannot be accessed with the following runtime error (note that I tried also stripping /private from the path with the same result.)

This also happens after I try to see if the directory exists (it fails)

Access to the path "/private/var/mobile/Containers/Bundle/Application/3AB3898E-12DE-48D5-840A-0BDAB88050A6/Documents" is denied.]
    at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectoriesInternal (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

37. petrapparent

petrapparent

Still having the issue with /private/.../Documents not being accessible via Application.dataPath with Unity3d 4.5.2

38. petrapparent

petrapparent

Ok, figured this out. Since I've been using Unity3D for a long time, I had some of the hacks to work around accessing the Documents directory using Application.dataPath before Application.persistentDataPath came along.

If you used code like this:

path = Application.dataPath.Substring (0, Application.dataPath.Length - 5);
    path = path.Substring(0, path.LastIndexOf('/'));
    path = path + "/Documents";

This code will no longer work in iOS 8, even though its been working for me since iOS 4. Rather just use Application.persistentDataPath

The main reason is that in iOS 8 the Documents directory is now situated in a root directory not under the application location, but under Data. This is to facilitate the new iCloud document sharing features between applications

e.g. old style directory Document's directory used to be under:

/private/var/mobile/Containers/Bundle/Application/<XXXXX>/App.app/Documents

but now is under:

/var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/<XXXXX>/Documents

Hopefully this will be useful to someone

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  39. yoonitee

yoonitee

Xcode 6 looks interesting with the new "Swift" programming language.

There's a job for a Unity intern. Convert all the Xcode unity outputs to Swift. :D

Also. ANOTHER programming language? Who ordered that! I give up.

40. macdude2

macdude2

So guys, I'm stuck on unity 4.3 because I really want to use glow11 and for some reason the developer hasn't updated it for 4.5. What is the horizontal screen fix on 4.3? It's like the device registers horizontal when vertical and vice versa. Gotta be a relatively simple fix.

41. macdude2

macdude2

Fixed it! Just had to change two lines in the function TransformForOrientation in the class IphoneOrientationSupport.mm.

Code (CSharp):
    1.  case landscapeLeft:         return CGAffineTransformIdentity;
    2.  case landscapeRight:        return CGAffineTransformIdentity;

42. adslitw

adslitw

With the GM of Xcode 6 and iOS8 out now, what's the official stance of Unity + Xcode 6 - stable to use? @Mantas Puida

43. tim_h

tim_h

So what is the expected build path now?
    Continue to build with Unity 4.5.x and XCode 5.x? Is it expected that iOS8 devices will run w/o issue?
    Upgrade pipeline to XCode 6.x? Will building with newer versions of either Unity or XCode affect iOS 7 (or older) users?

We are planning to test our products on iOS8 before its release, but I want to make sure I'm testing the right thing.

44. tr1stan

tr1stan

With Xcode 6 GM I found the build size dramatically increased. A build formerly was 110M now becomes over 270M. Why?

45. adslitw

adslitw

@tr1stan nothing else changed? Not set some geometry to static or anything (for example)?

46. tr1stan

tr1stan

Well I figured it out. Xcode 6 changed the way to estimate App Store size. Previous it calculate the size after compression but now it just show the actual size of an installation. The generated IPA files are still the same size.

But I've got a new problem when I uploading the game to App Store, the app loader shows:

Anyone has an idea about this?

47. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

iOS8 and Xcode 6 are on final GM versions from the developers portal.
    I hope the team can release a patch to provide support for all.

48. tr1stan

tr1stan

I switch back to Xcode 5.1.1 and iOS 7.1. But still when I submit the same error occurs. Do that mean Apple changed it's submission policy to allow app build with architecture arm7+arm64 only?

49. TeorikDeli

TeorikDeli

on Xcode 6 GM (since the second beta) build fails for me and the fail message (2 error):

Apple Mach-O Linker Error

Undefined symbols for architecture i386:
    "_clock$UNIX2003", referenced from:
    _substanceHandleSwitchHard in libiPhone-lib.a(apihandle.o)
    _mainRenderProcess in libiPhone-lib.a(mainrenderprocess.o)
    ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture i386
    clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

I couldn't fix this problem. I tried to change Mach-o Linker settings; but when the build completed successfully, app chrashes without any error message (mach-o type = relocatable object file). If I change architecture, the number of errors increase to 203.

50. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

I dont think you should use betas anymore, GM release focus on this or downgrade back...using old betas will only confuse everyone and produce a bad fix!