Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Introducing the new UGS documentation site!

Discussion in 'Unity Gaming Services General Discussion' started by marie-unity, Aug 7, 2023.

1. marie-unity

marie-unity

Administrator

Hi everyone!

We are excited to share the release of the new Unity Gaming Services (UGS) documentation site!

The new doc site brings together all the Unity Gaming Services documentation content into a single site.
    • The doc site now introduces a top navigation, including a Reference and Solutions tab.
    • The dedicated Reference section can help you easily find information on the latest SDKs, REST APIs & CLI, as well as navigate and see release notes for previous versions.
    • The Solutions section presents use cases and documentation that spans multiple features.
    upload_2023-8-7_9-29-15.png

Feel free to use this thread to ask for help, share feedback and have discussions about your experience with UGS documentation.

Happy creating!

saskenergy and UnityManuJack like this.
  2. MiTschMR

MiTschMR

First of all, great job unifying all the different pages of the products! A few points from my side:
    • I don't really like the "Build" section on the top level. It contains all the LiveOps and the DevOps products, so calling it something like "Services" might fit better because I interpret "Build" more with DevOps than the LiveOps products.
    • I like that there are sections like "Overview", "Get Started" etc. however, it is not consistent for all products. Some feature more of them, some less. Please keep it consistent over all products. Worst example I could find is Cloud Code, since it only has an "Overview" and a "Reference" section (and a few more that should be under Tutorials or Concepts).
    • Please, for the love of whomever, keep the SDK list sorted alphabetically! As it is now, you have to look through the whole list to find your SDK (see picture at the end)
    • I miss a "Last updated at" timestamp, or some versioning for the docs in general (not the SDK reference). What if something has changed massively (like the Analytics SDK), and the whole docs have changed?
    Edit: I just realized the SDK list ist sorted by the identifier of the package, meaning purchasing comes before services.*... Still not great.

SDK list:
    upload_2023-8-7_17-14-42.png

Last edited: Aug 16, 2023
  3. MiTschMR

MiTschMR

Next issue, the URLs for the documentation pages are extremely inconsistent. One would think that with a new setup, order of pages, similar structure etc. they would somehow be very similar. The reality could not be more away than this.

Let's see for example with analytics:
    It has an Overview, a Get Started, Concepts etc. pages. The url for the Overview page is https://docs.unity.com/ugs/en-us/manual/analytics/manual/overview

So far so good. Let's take a look at cloud code:
    It has an Overview page, C# modules, JavaScript modules etc. The url for the Overview page is https://docs.unity.com/ugs/en-us/manual/cloud-code/manual

Why is it once */overview and once */manual? And also, why do we need manual two times in the url?

For another extreme case, what do you think of the cloud diagnostics url? Anybody got an idea how absurd this looks?
    It also has an Overview, a Get Started, Concepts etc. pages, but the Overview page url is https://docs.unity.com/ugs/en-us/ma...al/CloudDiagnostics/WelcometoCloudDiagnostics

I mean, come on... Same name for a page, so many different names for the actual routes. You definitely can do better.

In addition to this behaviour, the links from the previous docs for e.g. lobby are broken and point to 404. This is the link: https://docs.unity.com/lobby/en/manual

Easy, clear and understandable. Please revise the urls and improve on them, because this is (imho) embarassing. A new docs page and this many flaws.

saskenergy likes this.
  4. MiTschMR

MiTschMR

2.5 months later and no response, not sure if the Unity Docs team listens for feedback but this is definitely not the way.

filip-mixedworld likes this.
  5. MiTschMR

MiTschMR

A month later and still no response, no improvement to anything at all.

6. Stuart-T-Unity

Stuart-T-Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi MiTschMR,

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide this feedback and sharing your insights and thoughts on the docs.

Some of these topics are on our radar already and will be solved in future versions of the docs site.

For points regarding general consistency in menu structure and URLs, we'll share this feedback further with the relevant writers and product teams. Having all of the docs in one site does bring more attention to such inconsistencies and we need to iteratively improve on this moving forward.

Thanks again for your feedback, this is really helpful!

7. MiTschMR

MiTschMR

8. MiTschMR

MiTschMR

Bumping this again since nothing has changed, the SDKs are still several releases behind, the docs still a huge mess (structure, url). Consistency is key, in this case inconsistency though…