Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

InstantVR: interactive avatar control for virtual reality

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Pascal-Serrarens, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Pascal-Serrarens

Pascal-Serrarens

Hello Andy,

I should be possible to support PSVR. At least with Humanoid Control which is more flexible in supporting devices. Unfortunately I do not have a license to access their SDK, so support is not built in at the moment.

If you do and know how I can access it in an easy way, I may look into this though.

2. Towerss

Towerss

Hi @Pascal-Serrarens, I am debugging an application using InstantVR, and I would like to have your help with something. I need to find the script rendering the Camera because the camera has attached the AudioListener, and I need to tap into that component to extract audio. I got that the AudioListener is at: Head Target (UnityEngine.AudioListener) : Head Target, and as far as I know till now I am looking for the Camara object: Headcam (UnityEngine.Camera) : Headcam. Could you please gide me on how to find that script instantiating AudioListener? Thank you.

3. Towerss

Towerss

Hi @Pascal-Serrarens, No worries, all good now.

In the application I was debugging, there was a combination of [HideInInspector], HideFlags.HideInHierarchy, and HideFlags.HideInInspector applied to some gameobjects and components from third-party libraries.

I found the required gameobjects and components using the following code, and checking the Hierarchy and the Inspector while the application was running:

Code (CSharp):
    2.     void Update()
    3.     {
    4.         if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.Space))
    5.         {
    6.             GameObject[] foundObjects = FindObjectsOfType<GameObject>();
    7.             Debug.Log("**** " + foundObjects + " : " + foundObjects.Length);
    8.             var count = 0;
    9.             if (foundObjects != null)
    10.             {
    11.                 foreach (GameObject foundObject in foundObjects)
    12.                 {
    13.                     count++;
    14.                    if (foundObject.hideFlags == HideFlags.HideInHierarchy || foundObject.hideFlags == HideFlags.HideInInspector)
    15.                     {
    16.                         foundObject.hideFlags = HideFlags.None;
    17.                        Debug.Log("**** foundObject: " + foundObject + " : foundObject Name: " + foundObject.name + " - Count: " + count);
    18.                     }
    19.                 }
    20.             }
    21.         }
    22.     }

The hidden objects were then accessible from the Hierarchy.

Thanks

4. Pascal-Serrarens

Pascal-Serrarens

Hello,

Good to hear you solved the issue.

The Audio Listener is placed on the HeadTarget, while the camera is placed on a separate child GameObject. This is because the camera can be moved to a different location in the hierarchy while running the scene.

I will investigate if it is possible to move the audiolistener to the headcam in a next version, because it is more common to have the Camera and the AudioListener on the same GameObject.

Thank you,
    Pascal.

Towerss likes this.
  5. mattis89

mattis89

Hello! So theres no controller input for Instant VR free? What should I do? Also it says only 2017 is supported?

6. Pascal-Serrarens

Pascal-Serrarens

Hello!

InstantVR Free edition does not include controller support. This is only supported in the paid InstantVR Advanced and Edge editions. Unity 2018 is supported, it is just that the description of the item has not been updated since Unity 2017...

7. mattis89

mattis89

Okay thanks! Does InstantVR Advance have Steam VR support and does it have custom avatar object interaction?(So the character hands actually animates with different button presses? And is there some Steam VR tutorial ?

8. Pascal-Serrarens

Pascal-Serrarens

Yes, InstantVR Advanced has animations of the hands/fingers using controller input. You can watch the video here for an introductionary howto:

BTW: I don't know if you have bought InstantVR Advanced already, but Humanoid Control VR will be discounted 50% during this year's Black Friday Asset Store sale. You can then have all the features of Instant VR Edge and more (easier to use, more tooling, more flexible) for the same price as InstantVR Advanced. And yes: you can control the fingers with the controller buttons too in Humanoid Control. (see
    )

9. mattis89

mattis89

Cool! I think this is a must have... Is there a way to change ti grip animations and such? And the walking animation when using the rift stick to move the character?

10. Pascal-Serrarens

Pascal-Serrarens

11. mattis89

mattis89

I cant see Humanoid Control Vr on vlack friday sale?

12. Pascal-Serrarens

Pascal-Serrarens

Yes, sorry. I was confused too.
    I checked my mail and it proves to be the 'Cyber Week Mega Sale' from November 26 00:00:00 PST through December 7 23:59:59 PT.

mattis89 likes this.
  13. mattis89

mattis89

oh I see. Well even better, after my payday :D

14. mattis89

mattis89

Hello! Why does the animation that comes with this asset humanoid pro look so weird? like on that video..

15. mattis89

mattis89

Hello ! the walk/run animation when using oculus/steam sdk and the occulus controller, is there a way to change it to the one it uses with generic controller? And the hand animations, how to change it to look better?

16. shiquhudong

shiquhudong

Does it support UMA now?

17. Pascal-Serrarens

Pascal-Serrarens

Hello,

InstantVR has been followed-up by Humanoid Control now. UMA support has been high on my wish list. I will work on UMA support for Humanoid Control in September.

18. shiquhudong

shiquhudong

Hi I've imported your humanoid control vr. When enable humanoid control, the app's graphics begin to run noticeably lower than 60 frames per second. Is there any option to solve that issue?

19. Pascal-Serrarens

Pascal-Serrarens

Hello, graphics performance depends on a lot of things. Humanoid Control does have an impact on performance because it needs to calculate a lot of bone positions based on tracking information at runtime. However, it should be well possible to achieve decent framerates (I get about 200 fps on a i7 6700k + GTX970, Quality setting is Beautiful) for the Grocery Store demo in the editor at the moment).
    Humanoid Control does not have an option to improve the performance with a setting.
    The best thing to do is use the Profiler to get an idea what is eating your framerate (https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ProfilerWindow.html)
    If you want, I can take a look at your profiler information. If so, please contact me at my contact page: https://passervr.com/contact/.

20. shiquhudong

shiquhudong

It works well in unity editor. My problem is about samsung gear. Have you tried it on samsung gear?

21. Pascal-Serrarens

Pascal-Serrarens

I certainly tried it on the Gear VR with a Samsung S6. It is part of my release testing. But I must say that I did not do performance testing recently. If you want I can do some performance testing on Friday.

22. shiquhudong

shiquhudong

Thank you. If you can do performance testing, it would be great.

23. Pascal-Serrarens

Pascal-Serrarens

I've done the remote profiling on my Samsung S6. With an unchanged GroceryStore demo scene and Quality set to 'Very Low', I get the following results:
    upload_2019-11-22_15-24-32.png
    You can see that the CPU performance reaches about 150 FPS, the GPU performance is about 60 FPS. I found that when I increased the Quality Levels, the GPU could no longer do the required 60FPS. With Quality set to 'Medium', the GPU framerate dropped to 15 FPS:
    upload_2019-11-22_15-33-5.png

Please not that Humanoid Control is all scripting, so it is mainly using the CPU.

With the Gear VR, you need to be very careful with the meshes/models you use. For example, the default avatar in Humanoid Control is not very suited for the GearVR, because it is a skinned mesh with quite large number of triagles. It is best to go for a 'cartoonly' style when the number of vertices are very limited.

You can read more about performance tuning for the Gear VR here:
    https://learn.unity.com/tutorial/vr-best-practice
    https://developer.oculus.com/blog/squeezing-performance-out-of-your-unity-gear-vr-game/

Attached Files: