Search Unity

Resolved Installing Unity Hub on Ubuntu 22.04

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by theskyblockman, Apr 23, 2022.

1. theskyblockman

theskyblockman

Hey,

As the new Ubuntu LTS just came out I had the idea to change distro to this new version, just after that I tried installing Unity just by installing Unity Hub, on my old distro this had gone really smoothly and had no problem but in this time I had a lot of problems: When I try the "normal" technique by getting the Hub from apt, I have an empty window, so I opened the Devtool and saw that a "index.js" script should have been started but it is not the case. The path from this script is in the Hub files but if you look a little more closely in the files you can see that there should be a folder named "app.asar" but in this case it is a file, also while I was trying to open it I saw that the file was in hexa so I opened my hex editor and saw that in reality this file is a package.json from a node js project. I didn't checked but im pretty sure the hub is an electron app. Now I can't know the index.js content because this file doesn't exist so there is my theory: My system's file system is under NTFS (I missed clicked) and in general Linux is under FAT32 or anything else so under NTFS you can't name a folder like a file and vise versa so im really not sure for this but I think it isn't the case for FAT32 so in first I think the folder was written by apt and after the file has been written so there has been an error and the folder has been overwritten by this file. this was for the Unity Hub 3, now with Unity Hub 2 I tried the AppImage, and here the isn't much to tell: the app crash without any useful logs. This thread is really long because I tried to give the most information possible but I think I gonna stop here or no one gonna read this lol, so if someone have any idea if of things I can try it would be great to know,

edit 1: I have a little advanced for the Unity Hub V3 version, I unpacked the app.asar and put it as a folder where it was,after that just after launching the app crash, before it didn't even crashed.

edit 2: I think I found the error that is causing the crash, now im going through the source code of the app to see if I can do a patch

Best Regards, Theskyblockman

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
  2. cerealkiller1918

cerealkiller1918

Im having the same issues

3. cerealkiller1918

cerealkiller1918

4. tobagind

tobagind

try installing libssl-dev from apt, on fedora 36 I managed to get it working by installing openssl-libs, which would libssl on ubuntu I believe.

5. theskyblockman

theskyblockman

Hey, thanks for all the help, fortunately with your help I found a way to open the editor, for the time I tried to find the error that was causing me trouble in the V2 and if you start the AppImage you can see that the GPU's display monitor is frequently crashing and while I was a little looking at the code I verified all I said and saw that the Hub is running under Electron and in Electron you have a sort of place that is given to the electron app so it cannot damage the system and it is called an sandbox. Just by adding the "--no-sandbox" argument the error gonna be avoided, and if someone want to go deeper in the Hub V3 code to fix it you gonna need to extract the content of the app.asar and find the licensing package and try to see the callstack of the app when it launches after and you gonna have the error solved.

also: I have some blank errors in my project, So I tried a new project, saved it on my saving partition for all that I make and the whole partition is now corrupted, MAKE A BACKUP I am really lucky because I fixed the whole disk in HEX but it was really long. I gonna open a new thread in the latest LTS version of Unity to see if someone can help me fix all the errors because the package manager seems to be also corrupted.

6. theskyblockman

theskyblockman

Hey,
    It's me again, and I now run Unity Hub 3.1.1 ! I did it without knowing it, but my theory is that 2 days ago I installed the
    gnome-shell-extension-appindicator
    library and the
    gir1.2-appindicator3-0.1

library with this command:
    sudo apt install gnome-shell-extension-appindicator gir1.2-appindicator3-0.1
    I think it fixed the problem

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
    frezX and hadsizefendi like this.
  7. theskyblockman

theskyblockman

Hey,
    After using the Hub for 2 weeks I just want to say that the hub doesn't work with Wayland, so if your hub don't work and you're under Wayland try the old X11

8. rafael-bordoni

rafael-bordoni

I was having trouble getting the hub to work on ubuntu 22.04 as well and this post here solved it for me. TLDR of the explanation: unity hub depends on an library that ubuntu 22.04 doesn't use anymore, after downloading it here and installing it, unity hub just worked.

9. kibi_unity

kibi_unity

Doesn't work for me - I have downgraded OpenSSL successfully but Unirty still tells me it does not have an Openssl it can use

Anyone have any other tips?

10. DaDummy

DaDummy

That workaround does not work anymore as Ubuntu has taken down the apt respositories for unsupported versions.

Does that mean that we'll have to downgrade to Ubuntu 20.04 for now?

11. DaDummy

DaDummy

TBirdPattern and mickdeluny like this.
  12. mickdeluny

mickdeluny

Thank you.
    That solved my UnityHub problem in Ubuntu Studio 22.04.
    Now for the next challenge

TBirdPattern likes this.
  13. tatsuuuuuuu

tatsuuuuuuu

i installed that and unityhub is still a window with a black screen inside.

14. tatsuuuuuuu

tatsuuuuuuu

I installed the beta and now I'm getting an infinite loading screen :
    upload_2022-8-31_13-7-59.png
    terminal looks like this:
    upload_2022-8-31_13-9-16.png

ok after killing everything in task manager and restarting it, it works :
    upload_2022-8-31_13-11-49.png

jayconsystems and m_Dam_ like this.