Search Unity

Bug [SOLVED] Unity Hub 3.0.0 extremely slow and cannot activate personal license on Ubuntu 22.04

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Lyxodius, May 6, 2022.

1. Lyxodius

Lyxodius

I first tried the non-beta Unity Hub, but that one crashed immediately with no sign of what went wrong.
    So I switched to 3.0.0.
    The desktop file doesn't seem to work, so I started it via the terminal.
    It takes about 1-2 minutes for a window to appear, with some error messages in the terminal:

Code (JavaScript):
    1. Checking for update
    2. Error: Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/opt/unityhub/resources/app-update.yml'
    3. (electron) Security Warning: A WebContents was just created with both webviewTag and contextIsolation enabled.  This combination is fundamentally less secure and effectively bypasses the protections of contextIsolation.  We strongly recommend you move away from webviews to OOPIF or BrowserView in order for your app to be more secure
    Then, after about 2-3 minutes the window finished loading. "Welcome to the new Hub".

But what I currently can't get to work is to activate a personal license. When I click on "Agree and get personal edition license" it takes about 1-2 minutes again and then I get an error in the terminal:

Code (JavaScript):
    1. Error occurred in handler for 'licenses/activateLicense': Error: ERROR.LICENSE.SERVER.GENERIC
    2.     at LicenseService.<anonymous> (/opt/unityhub/resources/app.asar/build/main/services/licenseService/licenseService.js:136:23)
    3.     at Generator.throw (<anonymous>)
    4.     at rejected (/opt/unityhub/resources/app.asar/build/main/services/licenseService/licenseService.js:6:65)
    Trying it via "Manage licenses" gets the same result.
    I kind of fixed the first error with the app-update.yml by copying the app-update.yml from a Windows installation. That seems to make that error go away. But the main problem is the license, since I cannot open an Editor without the license.

2. Voltstro

Voltstro

I've been dealing with this all day after doing a fresh install of Kubuntu 22.04, but I manged to fix it.

Basically, its because Unity Hub depends on an old version of libssl that is no longer served in the 22.04 Ubuntu repository.

You can download the libssl1.1 package from here, then just manually install it. You could also add the whole old repository to your sources list, but I wouldn't recommend that.

Once you have it installed, it should then just work normally.

3. Lyxodius

Lyxodius

Thanks, that works!

4. Rswat

Rswat

Hi everyone, I'm the dev of Ubuntu Unity Remix (the desktop environment, not to be confused with Unity, the game engine). The "fix" mentioned above isn't recommended for any regular Ubuntu user (it could cause dependency issues in future, even if you don't add the old security repo). I just took a look at this issue (was thinking of working on a small FPS game) and installing the old libssl1.1 package doesn't seem to fix the issue for me. The old Unity Hub (2.x.x series) seems to work fine.

EDIT: Looks like a reboot was needed like on Windows lol and it's working now with the old package. However, it would be great if the Unity (game engine) devs could take a look at this.

5. kibi_unity

kibi_unity

Really stuck on this issue with my fresh Ubuntu 22.04 install. I followed instructions https://askubuntu.com/a/1094690 <---from there and now when I type
    openssl version-v

I get
    OpenSSL 1.0.2 22 Jan 2015

But My Unity project still won't oopen properly, giving me the error
    No usable version of libssl was found