Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Indirect cost of IL2CPP (Visual Studio)

Discussion in 'Code Editors & IDEs' started by ErnestSurys, Mar 15, 2021.

1. ErnestSurys

ErnestSurys

There are a number of reasons for developers to use the IL2CPP backend when building their project, some targets like ARM64 even require this setting. Mono is not always the answer and shouldn't be.

So it was a big surprise for me to discover that it has a very big drawback in a form of very expensive dependency.
    This dependency is Visual Studio and is required to build games on windows machines.

For now the Visual Studio Community license states:

So in conclusion: if you aren't an individual and want to do commercial projects with IL2CPP you need to pay for Visual Studio Professional (45$/month) or Enterprise (250$/month) for each developer.

This not only increases the development cost but also eliminates the competition. I would like to use Rider but in this case, it is completely not efficient to pay for two IDE licenses.

If this really works this way, this information should be more explicit, if not please correct me.

2. pryankster

pryankster

For small teams, up to 5 users, you can still use VS community edition for commercial purposes.

3. ErnestSurys

ErnestSurys

Yes, this is exactly the problem.
    1. If your team has 5+ users, you need to pay.
    2. The fact that you need to pay isn't obvious and easy to find.
    3. Using a different IDE than VS that you would have to pay for makes no sense. You would have to pay for both of them. This helps in Microsoft's monopoly.