Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

InControl - XCode build Error: ICadeManager

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by zenasprime, Feb 6, 2020.

1. zenasprime

zenasprime

I'm getting the following error when I try to build in XCode for AppleTV:

/Users/zbellace/Documents/Threshold/Builds/tvOSBuild/Libraries/InControl/Plugins/iOS/ICadeManager.m:61:14: Implicit declaration of function 'UnityGetGLView' is invalid in C99

/Users/zbellace/Documents/Threshold/Builds/tvOSBuild/Libraries/InControl/Plugins/iOS/ICadeManager.m:61:14: Bad receiver type 'int'

I'm a bit out of my depth on this one. Any idea how I can fix this?

Unity 2019.3.0f6 - InControl version 1.7.4 build 9343

2. andiCR

andiCR

Having this same issue but for ios. Hopefully there is an answer soon.

3. andiCR

andiCR

Managed to fix it. For both ICadeManager.m and ICadeReaderView.m, check that the target membership is UnityFramework.

4. pbhogan

pbhogan

This issue should be fixed in the next update. If you want to try it, you can head to http://www.gallantgames.com/downloads (sign up and add your InControl license key if you haven't already) and you'll be able to get the beta of the next release.

Note, it has fairly significant file layout changes, so please delete your InControl folder entirely before importing this package.

The fix for this issue specifically is:

In ICadeManager.m, add to the top:
    #import “UnityAppController.h"

Then change the line with the error to:
    [GetAppController().rootView addSubview: readerView];

Now for the fiddly bit, you have to remove ICadeManager.m and ICadeReaderView.m from the app target and make sure it's part of the UnityFramework target. The updated package automates this as part of the build process, but in the current version of InControl it doesn't do this, so it has to be done every time after updating the Xcode project.

5. zenasprime

zenasprime

I'll give this a try and see what happens.

Thanks Patrick.

6. chaseholton

chaseholton

I downloaded the beta for 1.7.5 but every time I go to play my game in the editor it says InControlNative is not a trusted developer and MacOS can't detect malware blah blah... Do I have to enable some privacy settings somewhere on MacOS or did I miss something in the installation?

EDIT: Nevermind, it fixed itself. Things are working again! Hurray lol

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  7. pbhogan

pbhogan

Huh... that's a new one. I presume this is with macOS Catalina? Maybe there's a new security restriction of some kind. First I've encountered it though, and it probably doesn't trigger on my Mac because I built it on there. I could make the build signed in the future, but the reason I haven't is that it can interfere/confuse people when doing Mac App Store signing.

8. Basti_TinyRoar

Basti_TinyRoar

Hey! I also got those issues and installed the latest beta yesterday. But I still have to remove the m files from compile sources on the Unity-iPhone target. How can I automate that? Is it actually related? The error message is:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Undefined symbols for architecture arm64:
    2.   "_OBJC_CLASS_$_UIKeyCommand", referenced from:
    3.       objc-class-ref in ICadeReaderView.o
    4.   "_OBJC_CLASS_$_UIApplication", referenced from:
    5.       objc-class-ref in ICadeReaderView.o
    6.   "_OBJC_METACLASS_$_UIView", referenced from:
    7.       _OBJC_METACLASS_$_ICadeReaderView in ICadeReaderView.o
    8.   "_UIApplicationWillResignActiveNotification", referenced from:
    9.       -[ICadeReaderView initWithFrame:] in ICadeReaderView.o
    10.       -[ICadeReaderView dealloc] in ICadeReaderView.o
    11.   "_UIApplicationDidBecomeActiveNotification", referenced from:
    12.       -[ICadeReaderView initWithFrame:] in ICadeReaderView.o
    13.       -[ICadeReaderView dealloc] in ICadeReaderView.o
    14.   "_CGRectZero", referenced from:
    15.       -[ICadeManager delayedActivate:] in ICadeManager.o
    16.       -[ICadeReaderView initWithFrame:] in ICadeReaderView.o
    17.   "_OBJC_CLASS_$_UIView", referenced from:
    18.       _OBJC_CLASS_$_ICadeReaderView in ICadeReaderView.o
    19.       objc-class-ref in ICadeReaderView.o
    20.   "_GetAppController", referenced from:
    21.       -[ICadeManager delayedActivate:] in ICadeManager.o
    22. ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture arm64
    23. clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

9. pbhogan

pbhogan

Did you completely delete the build folder first? If you append (and I think even replace) after a build project made with the previous version you'd have some incorrect files and project structure already in place.

10. Basti_TinyRoar

Basti_TinyRoar

yes it was clean build. :/

11. pbhogan

pbhogan

I'll take a look. What version of Unity? 2019.3.4f1?

12. Basti_TinyRoar

Basti_TinyRoar

2019.3.0f1. When I remove it its all fine since its also in UnityFramework I think. But its annoying to always manually remove it. Thanks

13. pbhogan

pbhogan

To clarify what's happening... in older versions of Unity, files were all added to compile in the main target, including all of the Unity generated sources. With newer versions, Unity generates a separate framework target that has all its sources and that is a dependency of the main target. This change is what's causing the compile errors when the iCade files are not in the right target, or are in both targets.

14. pbhogan

pbhogan

Oh, one other thing to check is did you completely delete InControl before importing the new package? If not, the old post processor scripts would still be there, adding the iCade files to the wrong target.

15. Basti_TinyRoar

Basti_TinyRoar

That was it! Thanks and sorry that I wasted your time. :)

16. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

Hi, there is an issue with the latest version when compiling the build with Xcode.

Project builds fine but the following error appears when I chose "Archive"

Code (CSharp):
    1. ld: warning: ignoring file /Users/erdenergonenc/Documents/Unity/Human Ball/Xcode/Libraries/InControl/Plugins/iOS/InControlNative.a, building for iOS-armv7 but attempting to link with file built for iOS-arm64
    2. Undefined symbols for architecture armv7:
    3.   "_InControl_SetHapticState", referenced from:
    4.       _Native_SetHapticState_mD09A66ED8905C398127AE1E8A58BB97B58542132 in InControl.o
    5.   "_InControl_GetDeviceInfo", referenced from:
    6.       _Native_GetDeviceInfo_mF6EE92CD854BBC7B7429C80691607649E63A7033 in InControl.o
    7.   "_InControl_Stop", referenced from:
    8.       _Native_Stop_mE7EE541245BACE66F6082732FA3A3F200DEDA03A in InControl.o
    9.   "_InControl_GetDeviceState", referenced from:
    10.       _Native_GetDeviceState_m15A010F82B75DDDC0F8D9523AE8BE1FFE2B1DC83 in InControl.o
    11.   "_InControl_GetVersionInfo", referenced from:
    12.       _Native_GetVersionInfo_mE99C0DC8E86E11A17C4E7550BD34D529E1B6039A in InControl.o
    13.   "_InControl_GetDeviceEvents", referenced from:
    14.       _Native_GetDeviceEvents_m0BEACD78D386AE2997315A509BF96646C50315CD in InControl.o
    15.   "_InControl_Init", referenced from:
    16.       _Native_Init_m5E967613E824AF7123CC8BEB58CA8D48274310C3 in InControl.o
    17. ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture armv7
    I've tried re-importing (after deleting the incontrol folder) and also fully removing xcode project folder as well...

Any suggestions?

17. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

Btw, that's with Xcode 11.3.1 and Unity 2019.2.21f1 and if I do a ARM64 only build (not universal) it complies just fine.

18. pbhogan

pbhogan

Okay, I found the problem. But can you even submit non-arm64 builds anymore? Or maybe you just need to have arm64 included. I know Unity adds it by default, but I think iOS 10 is perhaps the last version that supported armv7. Or at least that's what Xcode told me when I tried to include the architecture.

In any event, I made a new binary and you can try it out here: http://www.gallantgames.com/downloads

Be warned some of the MFi controller support only shows up in iOS 12, and some additional buttons in iOS 13. So mileage may vary with builds with a deployment target older than that. You should probably target at least iOS 12 if you're offering controller support... that's probably 95% of users by now anyway.

19. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

Thank you,

You're right, armv7 has very limited support now but my unity project was set to iOS10 and for universal build, that's how ended up with the error. I think it'll be nice have to option to have(even limited) support for it until its officially dropped. I have rather basic usage, just 4 axis, so should be mostly fine.

I'll give this a go and let you know...

20. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

I've just tried the new build, previous errors are gone but there is a new one

Code (CSharp):
    1. ld: could not reparse object file in bitcode bundle: 'Invalid bitcode version (Producer: '1103.0.32.29.0_0' Reader: '1100.0.33.17_0')', using libLTO version 'LLVM version 11.0.0, (clang-1100.0.33.17)' for architecture armv7
    2. clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
    Looks like a bit code issue.. Btw, appereantly armv7 depracted in 2019.3 and will be removed from 2020.1, So as you said maybe it would be best to opt-in to ARM64 only anyway...

21. pbhogan

pbhogan

I would not be opposed to keeping it if it didn't break anything, but not sure how to fix that particular error. Are you using the latest version of Xcode on macOS Catalina?

Edit: from a cursory look around, it does appear the error refers to the Xcode version used to build the library being newer than whatever you're using. I'm not using an Xcode beta, just the latest release version.

22. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

No, I'm still on Mojave with Xcode 11.3.1 (latest for it), could that be the reason?

23. pbhogan

pbhogan

Almost certainly. I'm not sure if I can open the project in an older version of Xcode, though. I have an old Macbook at home with Mojave on it. I'll give it a shot later.

PixelEnvision likes this.
  24. pbhogan

pbhogan

Okay, I have a new build up built with Xcode 11.3.1 — can you give that a go?

25. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

Thank you, new build seems to be compiling fine, none of the previous undefined symbols or bitcode errors. Here are some details that might be useful.

My setup slightly changed as I've upgraded project to 2019.3.7f1. Now it's failing at the build stage, previously it was only happening when archiving, I guess thats because of unity project changes.

* 1.8.0b9351 targeting iOS 10.0 as minimum with universal architecture => fails
    * 1.8.0b9351 targeting iOS 10.0 as minimum with ARM64 only or 11.0 => ok

* 1.8.0b9353 targeting iOS 10.0 as minimum with universal architecture => ok

Just to make sure, I've tested this on two machines, one is Mojave with Xcode 11.3.1 and the other is Catalina with Xcode 11.4.

Btw, I've noticed size of InControlNative.a doubled from 1.3mb to 2.7mb. Would it be possible to split those two architectures into two separate files and use cpu designation in platform settings? That could be helpful to reduce final build size for those going arm64 only. :)

26. pbhogan

pbhogan

My understanding is that the rebuild from bitcode and app thinning done by the App Store solves the build size problem on the delivery side of things.

Good to know it works, though, so thanks for that. I'll get a new version into the Asset Store soon.

But fair warning, chances are next time the native plugin gets updated it won't support the older version of Xcode anymore. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect users to be using the latest Xcode for builds since the hardware backwards compatibility of macOS updates goes back a long way.

And like you said, with armv7 long deprecated by now as far as iOS goes, and soon deprecated by Unity, that will likely go away soon too. The moment a default Xcode build or submission complains about its inclusion, I'll likely remove it.

kreso likes this.
  27. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

Ah right, app thinning should take care of it...

In my case, I'm stuck with Xcode 11.3.1 as 11.4 requires Catalina and I'll need to finish my current project before considering an OS update.

Thanks for the prompt reply & quick fix, stay safe! :)

protopop likes this.
  28. Aslan85

Aslan85

Hi,
    I'm also stuck with the same problem than PixelEnvision.
    I tried in 2 environments :
    xCode 11.4 ; iOS Catalina 10.15.4 ; Unity 2019.3.3f1
    and
    xCode 11.3 ; iOS Mojave 10.14.5 ; Unity 2019.3.3f1

EDIT : Sorry, didn't saw that they have another version to download. I try it.
    EDIT2: Nice, I build it ! I didn't use the last version of InControl, I used the asset store version. I targeted iOS 11.0 as minimum with ARM64 only and it worked with my 2 environements (catalina and mojave). Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  29. viimp

viimp

I have this problem.

Guys, could you be so kind to give a step by step solution for a non-programmer guy like me, please?

I use MacOS Catalina 10.15.5; xCode 11.5
    Unity 2020.1.4f1

Code (CSharp):
    1.   {
    2.             self.activated = TRUE;
    3.             readerView = [[ICadeReaderView alloc] initWithFrame: CGRectZero];
    4.             [UnityGetGLView() addSubview: readerView];  // ERROR: Bad receiver type 'int'
    5.             readerView.active = YES;
    6.             readerView.delegate = self;
    7.             readerView.hidden = NO;
    9.             #if !__has_feature(objc_arc)
    10.             [readerView release];
    11.             #endif
    12.         }
    I have also created this thread.
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions...-of-function-unitygetglview-is-invalid-in-c99

30. pbhogan

pbhogan

Get the latest version of InControl. That code has been updated already. Make sure you delete InControl entirely before importing the latest version. Then also make sure you do a completely new build in Unity so that no old files remain in the Xcode project.

31. viimp

viimp

Thank you very much,
    How can I delete inControl?
    How can I get the latest version of inControl?

32. pbhogan

pbhogan

Make a backup of your project first. Then, in your Assets folder should be an InControl folder. Delete that. Then go to the Asset Store (or Package Manager, depending on Unity version) and find InControl, update and import it.

viimp likes this.
  33. viimp

viimp

Thank you very much!
    I will try!

34. viimp

viimp

35. viimp

viimp

It works!!!!!!
    Horaaaay!
    Thank you so much ☺️

36. MelserSerg

MelserSerg

Hey. I have such a problem. Does anyone know what this is?
    Unity 2019.4.9 and InControl 1.8.3, XCode 12.3

Code (CSharp):
    2.   "_InControl_SetHapticState", referenced from:
    3.       _Native_SetHapticState_mDD7540C938E4E6E0AF5FD95933820395CD4323A3 in Assembly-CSharp41.o
    4.   "_InControl_GetDeviceInfo", referenced from:
    5.       _Native_GetDeviceInfo_m1CCB7728F645025D355939C54BFBCA6671B3C558 in Assembly-CSharp41.o
    6.   "_InControl_GetVersionInfo", referenced from:
    7.       _Native_GetVersionInfo_m7527C421B6DE2446270A242778525500607CF503 in Assembly-CSharp41.o
    8.   "_InControl_Stop", referenced from:
    9.       _Native_Stop_m30FD283B2370445E0AB8A77A42AC8D00DB41302D in Assembly-CSharp41.o
    10.   "_InControl_Init", referenced from:
    11.       _Native_Init_mC2A7B21FB79533CFFC1370079C6FDAD7158FE7AB in Assembly-CSharp41.o

37. pbhogan

pbhogan

This is an iOS build? It seems like maybe the native plugin isn't correctly set up to be included in the iOS build. Check the settings of InControl/Plugins/iOS/InControlNative.a in the plugin inspector in Unity.

Sometimes those get messed up when upgrading Unity versions. Also, if you recently upgraded InControl, make sure you do a full replace of the Xcode project instead of append when you generate it from Unity.

38. Polyfemos

Polyfemos

EDIT! Leaving this here for others to find. So I upgraded the IOS target SDK (in the Unity Player settings) from the default 11 to 13, and made a new build. Now it works. I'm happy staying with 13 and won't troubleshoot this issue further, but in retrospect I should probably have instructed Unity to build to a clean directory. If you have this error, and tried adding/removing InControl with no luck, then do try to build to a clean directory.

Hi! I found this thread by searching for a solution.. I got this error today: clang: error: no such file or directory: '/Users/bjorntornqvist/git/kobolt-repo/Builds/Libraries/ExternalPackages/InControl/Plugins/iOS_tvOS/ICadeManager.m'

I have successfully built before, but earlier today I created a /ExternalPackages/ folder, and moved the InControl folder in there. I also created an empty Assembly inside /ExternalPackages/asdf.assembly.

After this the IOS build fails with the above message. I have since removed the Assembly - Deleted the Incontrol folder, reinstalled Incontrol by adding it from the package manager.
    But the error is still there.

Help! What can I do? Do note that I have NOT checked the ICade checkbox in the InControl settings.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  39. pbhogan

pbhogan

Usually the fix for Xcode build errors like this is to completely delete the Xcode build entirely and rebuild from scratch in Unity. This can sometimes also be necessary when upgrading Unity versions. It seems like sometimes Unity leaves files lying around in the wrong places. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Polyfemos likes this.
  40. vasik_frag

vasik_frag

Hi. I am using this InControl 1.6 plugin for several months for android project. When I tried to port it on iOS, its gives me this error on xcode,

ld: warning: arm64 function not 4-byte aligned.....

Code (CSharp):
    2.   "_OBJC_CLASS_$_CHHapticDynamicParameter", referenced from:
    3.       objc-class-ref in InControlNative.a(mfi_device.o)
    4.       objc-class-ref in InControlNative.a(SDL_mfijoystick.o)
    5.   "_OBJC_CLASS_$_CHHapticEventParameter", referenced from:
    6.       objc-class-ref in InControlNative.a(mfi_device.o)
    7.       objc-class-ref in InControlNative.a(SDL_mfijoystick.o)
    8.   "_CHHapticDynamicParameterIDHapticIntensityControl", referenced from:
    9.       -[MFIRumbleMotor setIntensity:] in InControlNative.a(mfi_device.o)
    10.       l002 in InControlNative.a(SDL_mfijoystick.o)
    11. ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture arm64
    12. clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
    I previously had problems with ICadeManager.m but I saw it on a forum that I need to update InControl which I did and it was a nightmare, I mean so many errors in project. So I want to go with the old plugin for now. I managed to solve ICadeManager issue but now I am facing "warning: arm64 function not 4-byte aligned". Can you guide me with some hack to fix this to save my time? Thank you so much

41. pbhogan

pbhogan

I've replied by email, but for others who might run into this:

Probably all the errors you ran into trying to upgrade to the latest version was due to InControl having an assembly definition added more recently, so you might need to add an assembly definition to your code and reference InControl’s assembly. Beyond that the actual API has barely changed at all, so upgrading should not cause errors. Or otherwise the errors could be because you didn’t first delete the InControl folder entirely before importing the new version and you ended up with some files that shouldn’t be there. This is a pretty common thing to forget.

In any event, back to the error you mentioned. I’ve not seen the 4-byte alignment warning, but that’s just a warning. The actual error is something else and it looks like you need to add a library to your project in Xcode. It’s probably CoreHaptic.framework judging by the error. Click on the project at the root of the hierarchy in Xcode, then select the target and find the Build Phases tab. Under “Link Binary With Libraries” add CoreHaptics.framework and see if that helps.

vasik_frag likes this.
  42. protopop

protopop

I think this is related to an issue im having. Im using Xcode 12.4 with MacOS 10.15.7 on a Late 2013 MacBook Pro, building for iOS 13 and Arm64 only.

I can build and test the game locally - works great and I love the gamepad support - I used InControl for my last 2 games too.

But when I build an archive it fails with this error

ld: could not reparse object file in bitcode bundle: 'Invalid bitcode version (Producer: '1205.0.22.11.0_0' Reader: '1200.0.32.29_0')', using libLTO version 'LLVM version 12.0.0, (clang-1200.0.32.29)' for architecture arm64

clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

Im more artist than coder so I had to parse this with some googling. It revealed 1200.0.32.29_0 refers to Xcode 12.5.1, and 1200.0.32.29 refers to Xcode 12.4, which is my version.

Im guessing the file "Libraries/InControl/Plugins/iOS/InControlNative.a" (is this. a'library'?) was built with Xcode? and it was version 12.5 or higher? And when I open it in a text file and search I notice references to iOS 14.5, although I dont think that part is the problem - im just mentioning it to go down all alleys. Do you think the issue is the file was built in a newer version of Xcode? (im trying to first figure out if this is the problem and go from there)

I really want to make this work because I tried adding gamepad support last year and gave up because of another issue, which I solved by changing the iOS required version to 13instead of 11. So im determined to make it work this time:) A few ideas:

• is there any chance of getting an older version of in control that might have the InControlNative.a built with Xcode 12.4 or lower? I am guessing I could delete my version and replace it with the earlier in control, and that the references ive made in code might still work.
    • im afraid to update my computer to Big Sur because it has bricked some late 2013 MacBook pros. And here in Canada the late 2013 is considered "obsolete" by Apple so they wont even look at it of anything goes wrong (in the US it is only considered vintage). That would be my last resort but it would let me install Xcode 12.5 (and if it looks like the Xcode version is the issue?). Im an indie dev, and it will be a while before I am able to afford a newer Mac.
    • does anyone have any other ideas because the gamepad support is awesome and with all the integration I did going back would be really undesirable.
    Thanks for making inControl, and for your time.

FKzuDJnXEAUwMK4.jpeg

FLPlUrrUYAYvhLt.jpeg