Search Unity

Resolved Improve search functionality

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Peter77, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

1. Searching is limited to the name, please change to the entire path.

2. Searching for a project name is limited in the sense that I can't use multiple strings that occur in the name. Below is an example what I mean.
    This is the HUB without search yet. I want to find everything that contains "tex" and "arr".

upload_2019-12-16_11-17-49.png

I start to type "Tex" and the list filters, showing everything that contains "Tex", which works as expected:

upload_2019-12-16_11-18-18.png

Now I want to narrow down the list even further, adding "Arr" to the search and this causes the HUB to not display any result at all.

upload_2019-12-16_11-18-27.png

I would have expected that searching for "tex arr" displays the two projects that have "Texture2DArray" in their name.

Please add this functionality to the search, it makes using the search easier.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  2. per_b_nielsen

per_b_nielsen

I agree that it would be very nice if we could have a smarter search feature. The functionality you suggest would be a good step in the right direction.

I would also like it if there was a keyboard shortcut for searching? (Or if there is one, then make more clear what it is, cause I can't find it). I really would like to be able to use the hub from the keyboard.

Also, it would be great if a search would include the path of the project, not just the name. Unfortunately our projects are all structured with a project folder that contains several sub-folders, one of which is the Unity project and it is always in a folder called "Unity". So every unity-project is called Unity which makes the search feature rather pointless for us...

I think it would be even better if it used the Product Name from the player settings instead of the directory name as the project name.

I am using a Mac and would love it, if there was a way to set a keyboard shortcut to focus the Hub menu in the toolbar (again maybe there is, and I just don't know it), so I would't even have to open the hub, but I could just pick the project from the list. This would again require the names to be read from the Product Name, so they don't all appear as "Unity" for it to be useful for us. It would also be nice if the list would have the currently open project marked as such and listed at the top.

Peter77 and Randhall like this.
  3. Randhall

Randhall

I know this is an old thread but this is the only place that remotely mentions this issue.
    I run a small team of engineers in London that's a part of a bigger company and as such we have a lot of process and tools to help out with it. One of those tools is a build tool that works only if we stick to a folder structure which makes all of our unity project folders called Unity_Client. We would love it if the Hub would as suggested above by Per show the Product Name instead of the folder name. (Or in the worst case show both and allow search on both)

4. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

@willgoldstone
    It's very inconvenient that the search seems to look for the "project name" only.

In many cases for me, the directory in which the Unity project is stored, is just called "Unity". Therefore, please not only search in the name, but in the path as well.

Example project paths:
    • "C:\Projects\Luigi's Mansion\Unity"
    • "C:\Projects\Mario Odyssey\Unity"
    • "C:\Projects\Zelda Wind Waker\Unity"
    Searching for "Mario" in the Hub search field, yields 0 results.

It should be a trivial change to search in the path as well and would have a huge QoL benefit.

5. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

6. UnityJuju

UnityJuju

Unity Technologies

Hi Peter!
    Thank you for sharing your feedback with us!
    I'll raise it with the Hub team! :D

Peter77 likes this.
  7. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

8. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I recently updated to Unity Hub 3.3.0, still not implemented :(

Last edited: Apr 2, 2023
  9. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Unity Hub 3.4.1 still does not search the path. I beg you, please implement this functionality. It would be a game changer in terms of user experience.

10. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Unity Hub 3.5.2, still not implemented :(

11. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I have just updated to Unity Hub 3.7.0 and it's implemented now! It feels like a Christmas miracle after all these years.

The ability to search the entire path instead of just the name is a significant improvement in terms of usability for me. Thank you!