Search Unity

Feedback Share your Unity Hub 3.0 Beta Feedback Here

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Gennady, Jun 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RomeoMAK

RomeoMAK

Tried to update the Unity Hub 3.0.0.beta.7, it ask me to restart the unit hub but as I pressed it, nothing has changed. However, by the time I realized, all my unity editors has gone up to smoke.....
    So i have to reinstall again.....

2. holo-krzysztof

holo-krzysztof

Unity Hub 3 is *really slow* to start for me. It takes like 7 seconds before the window shows up after double-clicking the desktop shortcut.

I took an ETW trace of the startup process and it seems to burn CPU just doing pairs of WaitForSingleObjectEx (from CrRendererMain thread) and SetEvent (from Chrome_ChildIOThread) calls? I don't have Unity Hub.exe symbols so just going by what Windows APIs are getting called.
    It looks like each IO request needs to go through that extra thread and there's lots of them for some reason. Maybe you could look at the IO patterns your code has and reduce the amount of calls? The renderer process does ~250k context switches on startup for what amounts to showing a window that lists ~6 projects in the end.
    I didn't test side by side right now but don't remember Unity Hub 2.x being that slow.

Anyway, if there's interest I can share the trace via PM.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
    Luxxuor and JoNax97 like this.
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User

So, when will version 3 get out of beta?

4. adamgolden

adamgolden

A quick note here on my experience with recent Hub releases - which has mostly been great, but in beta 6 (and just now in 7) sometimes projects fail to open with a message about my license. If I look in preferences it seems all good, but until I actually click the Refresh button for the license (which just re-displays what was already shown there), no matter how many times I try to open the project again it will fail.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm getting this when I'm somehow disconnected from the internet. The fix is closing the project, disconnecting the computer from the internet, re-connecting it, or not, and re-start the project.

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Anybody could answer my question please? @Gennady? Is there a road map about that somewhere?

7. Gennady

Gennady

Unity Technologies

Current ETA is January 2022

JesOb, adamgolden and Deleted User like this.
  8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks! :D

I'll wait until full release before installing it for Linux according to the new way of doing this then, and I won't add the beta repository.

9. oobartez

oobartez

How can I install a Silicon version of Unity Editor other than the latest one? For example, the latest stable version is 2021.2.7f1, but I need to install 2021.2.6f1 because that is what our project uses.

As a side note, it is very common for us to work with a version one or two weeks old, because the newest one is usually unavailable on Unity Cloud Build. As such I think Unity Hub should let us download historical versions without having to resort to the Download Archive (which by the does not include unityhub:// links for Silicon).

10. mgear

mgear

reported this to unity support, they didn't understand or consider this as an issue really, instead its the new Fun Hubi'fied worklow.. :(

It also means i cannot send direct download link for someone to install same version easily..?

have to build my own parser then, to get the actual download link from that page
    https://github.com/unitycoder/UnityLauncherPro/issues/57

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
  11. Tom163

Tom163

Frankly speaking, it's ashaming for a software that started out on the Mac to not properly support the Mac authentication system. The functionality is there, go friggin use it! Hub should detect that I'm not an admin user and ask for admin authentication.

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

Kayıt olmak'a tıklıyorum yönlendirdiği siteden hesabıma giriş yapıyorum ama hub açılmıyor

Attached Files:

13. stopiccot_tds

stopiccot_tds

Unity Hub 3.0 is extremely slow. It takes almost 4 seconds for Unity Editor to start loading after I click project in Unity Hub. And after that I need to wait for Unity Editor itself. And all of this brand new MacBookPro with M1Pro chip. On such hardware I expect things to work instantly. Instead I see pretty loading animation for 4 seconds: Screenshot 2021-12-23 at 13.35.24.png

14. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Disclaimer: I'm sorry about the upcoming rant but I really dislike pointless dropdown menus with passion..

That being out of the way let's get to the point and discuss about of my frequent annoyance with Unity Hub 3:

First of all, having "Open remote project" dropdown option is pointless, you get this behavior by just hitting the "Open" button way

Secondly, I NEVER want to use this default "Open" option as Hub is incapable of launching the new project in Unity version I want it to open. It will always add the project to hub and force launch it in completely wrong Unity version anyway (more about this later).

Thirdly, you already use screen-space for this hidden menu entry, making it just more complicated for new users (they won't realize this is an option) and more tedious for experienced users who now have to remember to do the extra clicky clicky every time they use this.

I have personally had awful experience with most dropdown changes people put into their software. Typically they just do more harm than good, complicate daily actions by adding extra button presses and are just a lazy solution instead of fixing the actual UX. There are valid use cases for them (like using them to select Unity version) but what I rant about here isn't such.

So... to get back to the 2nd point. This is a real issue even beyond "Open" button, but this button makes the situation even worse as user doesn't get any say on which editor version Unity Hub will try to launch the project at (unless you happen to have exactly same project version installed already - which I can guarantee you won't if you add some old project from anywhere).

UX here could be reworked in few ways. For example don't try to minimize the UI at the cost of usability, we've had our share of this enough already and most users just care about being able to use the tool without extra friction instead of it looking slick. But if you have to have this kind of dropmenu at least address the issue with Hub opening it on wrong engine version. Instead of just picking editor version for the user with some hardcoded logic (that is likely to not be what user wants) pop up a dialog that lets the user pick:
    - which of the installed editors user REALLY wants to open this project with
    - alternatively allow user to install this version of the editor with Hub and abort the editor loading
    - or just have a note saying you don't have compatible engine installed (like happens now when you try to open project that's already in hub list and doesn't have compatible editor installed)

I feel this change alone would fix a lot of usability issues related to this.

Edit: after some more thinking. I don't even understand why "Open" option exists. Just have only "Add" option and it would work just fine, cause less confusion and have slimmer UI.

Edit #2: in addition to first edit thought it could be good to suggest also renaming the add option to "Add Existing Project" and nobody will get confused what the button does :)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
    KarlGG and mgear like this.
  15. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi!
    Do you have a precise date yet?

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello?! Any ETA yet? How will I know that the Hub version 3 is out of beta? I guess I won't get a message when I launch it since there is a new installation procedure for Linux and I don't want to install version 2 using that procedure right now.

Happy new year anyway! :D

17. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I'd love to see the search being improved, it would have a huge QoL benefit on me.

In many cases for me, the directory in which the Unity project is stored, is just called "Unity". Example project paths:
    • "C:\Projects\Luigi's Mansion\Unity"
    • "C:\Projects\Mario Odyssey\Unity"
    • "C:\Projects\Zelda Wind Waker\Unity"
    Searching for "Mario" in the Hub search field, yields 0 results.

firstuser likes this.
  18. Corodius

Corodius

As it is distributed via native packages now, updates will come through your package manager like most software.

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

You mean Linux software manager? I don't think so since the Hub must be installed from an independent source: https://docs.unity3d.com/hub/manual/InstallHub.html

And anyway, that's not what I'm asking; since I won't install version 2.0 via the source, how will I, and the others like me, be informed of version 3 getting out of beta?

20. Corodius

Corodius

That was my point, if I did not explain well - add the package manager source, and you will get the updates as they are released. I am using it this way now, and installed through package manager. Updates to v3 will come via this method from now on.

This is for v3 of course, I had thought v2 would be released in the stable repo, but doesn't seem to be so perhaps I misunderstood their intention there.

21. Azrael_Bathory

Azrael_Bathory

I haven't been able to open a project file since this HUB update seems to have been forced on us and since I don't have any past versions of the hub I haven't been able to open a project more then once since christmas. Ive spent the better part of 4 days now trying to figure out wtf to do but can't find any solutions. Im beyond upset and the fact I'm stuck in isolation and I can't even work on personal projects to keep myself in a good head space is getting worse and worse. Oh and Unity doesn't seem to acknowledge support requests so thats making things even more infuriating.

22. Deleted User

Deleted User

Since you don't mention what platform you are using, I'll guess you are using Windows. Delete all Unity Hub folders you'll find in AppData local and roaming, quit the Hub from the tray and restart it.

23. Azrael_Bathory

Azrael_Bathory

I'm using macOS. Sorry, kind of important detail there. I've done that, well the mac equivalent. I've deleted everything to do with unity and reinstalled everything more then a practical amount of times, didn't work. I manually uploaded my license and even thought it says I've got an active license nothing opens, only lets me create new projects but then once I save and exit out can't get back in.

24. Azrael_Bathory

Azrael_Bathory

Is it at all possible to get the previous hub version? When I was using 2.4.3 and 2.4.4 I didn't have this issue, and actually getting to work on my projects instead of going stir crazy would be fantastic. But unity make it nearly impossible to find old working versions.

25. Azrael_Bathory

Azrael_Bathory

Well, I seem to have found a slight work-around but its far from a "solution". I found a site that has the 2.0.0 version of the unity hub for macOS. So i can finally open projects more then once and work on projects that the new hub locked me out of. The only downside to the 2.0.0 version is I had to type in the save location for where the file is saved to (/Users/namehere/Desktop) thats not a problem though, but you can't delete project files from your project list after you make it which I can see easily leading to a cluttered mess. But as I said, its a work-around not an actual solution.

This is the link - https://macdownload.informer.com/unity-hub/download/#downloading

Also just want to mention that I hope I'm not breaking any rules making this link in the post but its been the only reason I've been able to get into a project more then once since Christmas and frankly I've gotten desperate because I'm going stir crazy. That being said, its a secure source and otherwise works just fine besides those 2 quirks I pointed out and hopefully these work halting bugs are fixed soon in the 3.0.0 version because I otherwise think its UI looks like it would theoretically function better then previous versions if it would just open project files.

Happy Be-lated holidays to all and I hope the new year has been good to everybody.

26. Corodius

Corodius

Does this link on the download page not work? Under the Beta link is a link for Windows and Mac v2.4.x as 3.0 is still in beta:

https://public-cdn.cloud.unity3d.com/hub/prod/UnityHubSetup.dmg

Hopefully this helps!

27. Deleted User

Deleted User

Unity Hub, not Unity.

28. Deleted User

Deleted User

29. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

This is specifically a thing you don't see on their roadmaps anymore. Unity still used to give quite specific targets like 4-5 years ago but that never worked well. Target were missed the targets all the time and users were complaining for it as well. Nowadays we mainly get "working on now" "planned" and "maybe" kinda info which doesn't give us specific estimates for time of arrival.

Only place where you might be able get any reasonable estimate for some upcoming feat is if the devs working on the feat are willing to share that info (here on forums or some other place) but even then it's not going to be on official roadmap site.

firstuser and Deleted User like this.
  30. LuisCoCO

LuisCoCO

There is no way to add configurations to an installation, such as adding android to it? Or is it that I don't know how to do it?
    In the installation configuration it only says "Show in explorer" and Uninstall

31. mgear

mgear

If that unity is not installed originall though hub, then cannot add modules from hub.

apparently need to manually edit some config files to allow that,
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/hub-option-add-modules-disappeard.935219/#post-6118490

32. NoTuxNoBux

NoTuxNoBux

Related to this, it seems that, using the NVIDIA 495 (proprietary) driver with GNOME 41.2 on Wayland, using GBM rather than EGLStreams (I haven't tested the latter separately), the Unity Hub beta window opens, but just shows a white, empty page - you can still click on elements inside it; they just aren't rendered, and no errors appear to be printed.

The beta hub works fine on the same setup using X11 directly instead of Wayland or XWayland (I presume the latter is used right now).

33. davidsamacoits

davidsamacoits

Unity Technologies

Good news! Hub V3.0.0 just landed and you can read the release notes here.

We really appreciate the feedback shared in that thread and will continue to look at it and be all ears to make the Hub better. In the meantime, this thread will be closed as it was created for 3.0.0 beta specifically but we encourage you to continue to share on this forum!

Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.