Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Important update: Support for in-app receipt validation for SHA-256 Apple Receipts.

Discussion in 'Unity IAP' started by John_Corbett, Aug 14, 2023.

1. John_Corbett

John_Corbett

The In-App Purchasing SDK version 4.9.4 now uses the SHA-256 algorithm to decode Apple receipts for those using the
    CrossPlatformValidator

Apple is changing its receipt format on August 14th: https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=smofnyhj. Please update to IAP 4.9.4 in your package manager if your app is using this feature.

Older receipts encoded in SHA-1 are still supported.

siddhant_unity988 and kyubuns like this.
  2. andymads

andymads

@John_Corbett just to be clear on this. From today the CrossPlatformValidator.Validate call will fail (throw an exception) in all our store apps using 4.9.3 or earlier, when a purchase is made?

3. Voxel-Busters

Voxel-Busters

• August 14, 2023. Receipts in new apps and app updates submitted to the App Store, as well as all apps in sandbox, will be signed with the SHA‑256 intermediate certificate.

Only new apps, updates and sandbox testing apps will be affected.

andymads likes this.
  4. John_Corbett

John_Corbett

HI @andymads

I believe it might, although maybe only for updated apps submitted after that date. Apple sprung this on everyone with fairly short notice.

andymads likes this.
  5. jlavoinegsn

jlavoinegsn

Has anyone managed to reproduce this error in the sandbox environment by chance? I'm trying to confirm it happens so we know the update to IAP fixes it, but our locally validated consumable purchases are still being validated on 4.4.1.

konsnos likes this.
  6. unity_320AC700C5AB25D195F1

unity_320AC700C5AB25D195F1

Was running into exactly the same problem. From the Apple Tech Note it seemed to me that devices needs to be running OS 16.6 to repro the issue using sandboxed IAPs but even with this OS we were unable to repro. Despite this, after upgrading IAP package from 4.8.0 to 4.9.4 it appears we no longer have this issue in our live game.

PloyGTM, konsnos and Laurie-Unity like this.
  7. PloyGTM

PloyGTM

8. unity_320AC700C5AB25D195F1

unity_320AC700C5AB25D195F1

Correct, validation was failing for us in app updates since 24th Aug until we reacted by rolling out an update with IAP package 4.9.4 a few days later. A prior update on 21st Aug didn't appear to have issues, so we assume Apple enforced the change to receipt format later than the stated 14th Aug date.

PloyGTM likes this.
  9. PloyGTM

PloyGTM

@unity_320AC700C5AB25D195F1 Thank you for the answer and additional information, In my case, the current project that I'm working on also had this issue since 2 September 2023 ( the date that the app was Ready for sale ) until now, I've been using IAP version 4.9.3,
    and It was working fine on the Test flight, It passed the Apple review, but on production, it's stuck in the catch block of the validation part ( always returns invalid receipt), Today I'm uploading another build with an IAP version update, I hope it can solve the issue

Edit: after I update IAP to 4.9.4 and resubmit, We no longer have issue with the validator try-catch block in IAP script

Last edited: Sep 15, 2023
  10. helloroy

helloroy

It's a nightmare, once I update my App on Sep, all my app version CrossPlatformValidator is fail, that mean I need to stop IAP before most of our user have been updated to new version.

11. Ievgen0101

Ievgen0101

Indeed. Updating to 4.9.4 fixes the bug.

12. catherinepcloudy

catherinepcloudy

It's essential for developers and app publishers to stay informed about changes in receipt formats and update their SDKs accordingly to ensure the smooth operation of in-app purchases and compliance with Apple's requirements.