Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Question I lost all of my scene assets, after scene reload.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by poszta02, Sep 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poszta02

poszta02

I need help, because i was importing some assets from the store, after that some alert popped up about scene reload, i clicked it and all of my work and assets in the hierarchy on this scene is gone, and only those new imported are there. Is it possible to get it back somehow?

FBro1365 and stmayfie like this.
  2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Click "File -> Open Scene" to reopen the scene from your last save.

If you're going to do game dev, you're going to need to get good at using version control software, or at least make frequent backups (especially before doing something major like importing some 3rd party asset).

FBro1365, Cheringer and Kurt-Dekker like this.
  3. poszta02

poszta02

Thanks for reply. I was doing it first time after 2 months of learning unity and using only my assets, so i didn't know something like that can happen because nothing like that did to me before even when I imported things.
    I was trying to Open Scene like you said, but it's opening still the same scene with those new assets, i think the reload already overwrite on the previous save so i don't have anything.

I found option like " Reimport all", that maybe help but when i click rmb on my scene in folder, but there is some warning that looks like this:
    upload_2020-9-29_13-17-55.png

and i don't know if it's safe, from now on i won't click anything that im not sure if is safe for my project, so could you tell me if this is even right thing to do in my case and if isn't, please tell me if there are any others solution or I have to do everything from beginning, I would like to try everything what can help, before starting everything again if there is chance i would be thankful for help.

stmayfie likes this.
  4. DreamPower

DreamPower

Reimport All is safe, that literally just reimports every asset and then rebuilds all your source code, as if you just added them all to the project.

But I have a feeling that won't help regardless. It sounds to me like you were using a scene that got overwritten by the import - like, if you were using the default scene Unity creates, maybe one of the assets you downloaded installed its own version of a demo scene in the exact same place with the same name. If this is what happened, you might be able to get your scene back if you were lucky. Every time you run your game, it saves a backup of the current scene to the Temp folder in your project, like Temp/_Backupscenes or something. If that file is there, move it out of the folder and change the extension to .unity and you may be lucky.

But that's really more for Unity crashes than situations like this, so the Temp folder may not even be there, and there may not be a backup scenes folder.

stmayfie likes this.
  5. wcneill

wcneill

This just happened to me too. I downloaded some free assets as well as some assets I "earned" through one of the tutorials.

When I imported the "earned" asset, it asked me if I wanted to reload the scene. Unfortunately, I clicked yes.

This bug of importing assets irretrievably deleting hours of work has been reported since 2013. Absolute garbage responses like "back up your files". That's what saving is for. Backing up files is to protect against corruption or hardware damage. It shouldn't be a work around to a bug known for the better part of a decade. Overwriting or deleting of files should simply not happen without user input. A vague message about reloading a scene does not count.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    stmayfie likes this.
  6. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

I'm sorry you've had this issue. Please consider using source control. Git is free and there are tons of tutorials out there to help you set it up.

Here's how I use git in one of my games, Jetpack Kurt:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/2-steps-backwards.965048/#post-6282497

Using fine-grained source control as you work to refine your engineering:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/whe...grammer-example-in-text.1048739/#post-6783740

Share/Sharing source code between projects:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/your-techniques-to-share-code-between-projects.575959/#post-3835837

stmayfie likes this.
  7. j11n

j11n

wow. I just lost hours of work from coding in a purchased asset's demo scene and experiencing this bug, and google brought me here. I didn't even click 'yes' on reloading any assets. This is my first experience coding in Unity. Yeah I know how to use git but i don't use it every 5 minutes. Please fix this. Or turn on a 'local history' feature in the unity IDE by default. Current experience is leaving a bad taste...

abhiramkalyanakella and stmayfie like this.
  8. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Are you sure it's not your antivirus quarantining the entire directory because it saw DLLs (which are executable) in it?

9. ClearTranquil

ClearTranquil

New to Unity and just had this same issue. Almost lost my mind thinking I lost all my progress. Thanks for posting this, now I'll be sure to back up my projects frequently.

10. someopmf

someopmf

thank u <3

11. Diegotrujillo3453

Diegotrujillo3453

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.