Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Huge first commit opening AssetServer-based project in 2.5?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Erik Harg, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Erik Harg

Erik Harg

After updating to Unity 2.5 (on Mac), I have tried opening a few of our projects, which are all quite happily under Asset Server version control.

First, I got a crash when trying to add a "server" tab to the project pane (doubly reported, since I got two nice bug report windows), but I haven't been able to replicate that.

More interesting is the fact that after opening old(er) Unity projects in the 2.5 version, it seems to reimport, rebuild and/or reindex most, if not, all the files, This seems to lead the Asset Server client in Unity to believe that all the files in the project have been locally modified, and that they should be commited, even when no (user-specified) local modifictions have been performed.

However, the really interesting bit, is that if you proceed with the commit, when it gets to the server, it is reported as rather minor. In my attempts, only the EditorBuildSettings.asset has been consistently changed. See this screenshot from our web-interface to the asset server, on how it reported the changeset that seemed like all the files in the project had changed (the file "studenttypemap.mat" is always changed in this project, so ignore that).

It seems now that not doing the actual commit, but opening the server tab and re-entering the asset server login info, saving the project, and re-opening it, will somehow "reset" the list of locally modified files, and it matches the ones that would be actually modified in the asset server.

So, not really much of a bug, but a bit puzzling when re-opening old projects for the first time in the new release. Anyone else having the same issue?

2. DocSWAB

DocSWAB

I saw something similar -- Got a crash when opening the Asset Server pane for the first time with an old, large project.

Then everything was flagged as new.

But I did NOT commit, and did some other stuff in Unity, and also restarted Unity again (for another reason), and after that, only the correct new assets were flagged as new, and the program seemed stable.

Recommendation: don't commit everything right off even if it all shows up as new, and see if it sorts itself out after restarting Unity a few times.

3. Erik Harg

Erik Harg

Yep, we have spent the day trying to "convert" most of our old projects now, and the trick for this seems to be:
    - open, edit the connection, insert the password
    - let it update
    and then, when you have the list of every-file-is-changed, do either:
    - press update once more,
    - open another project, then open the project in question again
    or
    - restart Unity

Consistently, however, the EditorBuildSettings.asset is the only thing that always still says is locally modified. Guess it may have to do with the fact that there are some changes in the build settings preferences.

So, while this is a bit annoying, it is not really that much of a bug, compared to the others we have found (and are trying desperately to work around for our published projects, with new builds)