Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

How to transfer mac unity project to windows unity?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by glenvillepecor2_unity, Nov 26, 2018.

1. glenvillepecor2_unity

glenvillepecor2_unity

When I try to put the folder on my flash drive, It will not met me on my mac. If I connect the unity to my unity cloud, more than one thing gets corrupted. What is the best way to transfer from mac to windows

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Why? Any error message?

The best is to copy the whole project folder to an external hard drive then plug it to your Windows PC and load it into Unity. Maybe you'll need to delete the Library, Logs, Packages and Packages Settings folder before loading it into Unity.

3. Can you elaborate on this one? What is getting corrupted when you're using the Unity Collaborate? Because it shouldn't happen AFAIK.

4. glenvillepecor2_unity

glenvillepecor2_unity

Corrupted may of been the wrong word but I get multiple missing prefabs, and for the prefabs that I have, I cannot drag and drop them into the scene anymore.

5. glenvillepecor2_unity

glenvillepecor2_unity

I will try to delete those folders. Will that mess up any prefabs if I do so?

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

No, it won't. All you need is in the Assets folder; do not remove anything in that folder and everything will be fine.

7. glenvillepecor2_unity

glenvillepecor2_unity

I moved over the asset folder and it still does not work. I am just re doing all my prefabs now. When I tried what you said, I could not drag and drop anything into the scene that was a prefab.

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Looks like your best chance is fixing your problem with Cloud Build then. You should file a ticket. :)

9. glenvillepecor2_unity

glenvillepecor2_unity

I forgot to mention, that was my first thing I did :( Im never working on the mac again LOL

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  10. gamedevbill

gamedevbill

You definitely should delete the Library as it holds some platform specific info, but I would not recommend deleting Packages or Project Settings (I'm guessing "packages settings" was a typo). Those hold important information about your project. It could be they still hold all defaults, in which case there's no harm in deleting them, but if you've been mucking with the project for a while it can be confounding to try to remember what all isn't default.

If you are using some sort of online source control (collab or other), you should include Assets, ProjectsSettings, and Packages, but nothing else. If you include the Library folder in your version control, it'll take up a ton of extra space, and most likely cause you issues.

11. glenvillepecor2_unity

glenvillepecor2_unity

Ty for all your input. I tried it all. Learned that I should always work on windows if other collaborators are in windows >.< All I had to do was remake the prefabs and re set variables.

12. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Not to put too fine a point on it, but this is nonsense. I work on multiple mixed teams of Mac and Windows devs. There is no problem, except occasionally when we use symbolic links (which Windows doesn't really support) — but that's something that only occurs if you do it manually (hopefully because you know what you're using). There is no magic to the files Unity uses, nor any difference in how it treats them on Mac vs. Windows. As others have said, you should be moving (or better, syncing through some sort of version-control system) the Assets and Project Settings folders, but definitely not the Library folder.

Ryiah, Joe-Censored and gamedevbill like this.
  13. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Are you sure you're not trying to open the project using an older version of Unity?

JoeStrout likes this.