Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

How to move recttransform by script?

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by leegod, Oct 18, 2016.

1. leegod

leegod

I have panel UI, that is title object.

When I work at unity, I want it not hinder camera, so I made its position as (-2000, -2000, 0).

But when game start, it should become center of game screen, but how move it by script?

I tried like
    titlePanel.transform.localPosition = new Vector3(0, 0, 0);

but nothing happen. I don't know why unity doesn't allow it. Very upset.

2. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

If the ui is annoying you in the scene view, you can hide and lock the content of the ui layer.
    To do so open the layers drop down in the top right of the unity main windows and select the hide / lock icon.

3. eses

eses

@leegod

Hi, just use rectTransform instead of typical transform, as it replaces Transform component in UI GameObjects - and it's meant to be used when working with canvas system:

Code (csharp):
    2. void Start ()
    3. {
    4.     this.GetComponent<RectTransform>().localPosition = Vector3.zero;
    5. }

Kayckbr likes this.
  4. leegod

leegod

This does not work...

5. leegod

leegod

Sorry, it works. I had problem at other script's code before it reaches above. Now it works.

6. Brathnann

Brathnann

transform.localPosition works on ui components as well. But it appears OP had another bug in their code, so they got that fixed. (And considering RectTransform inherits from Transform anyways).

Normally I would only use RectTransform if I needed the additional things that come with it.

7. eses

eses

@Brathnann

Yes you are correct, I was thinking about saying something about that, but left it out.

Also, I didn't say it didn't work and neither did I see his code to be able to know if he had problem elsewhere.

You can use inherited functionality from Transform component in RT or use those features from Transform itself but if you instruct someone to use transform with UI items, then they are not going to (maybe) be aware of RT features like anchorMax, anchorMin, pivot and so on... which are not available in Transform.