Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to lock grabbed item to Knuckles?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by CloudyVR, Nov 21, 2018.

1. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

I am learning how to use the new interaction system provided in SteamVR 2.0. I now am a little familiar with actions and bindings. But I see that interactions only allow momentary grab (only grabbed while holding). How do I configure an interaction where the user makes a grab gesture to equip an object, but then the object sticks until "some other gesture" invokes the release of that object?

What I don't under is the: "some other gesture" part. In other words, an ungrab gesture using Knuckles.

eg. if I grab a sword. once I stop squeezing and/or relax my fingers, very often the sword will fall out of my hand. making for an undesirable interaction and dropping items very often.

Are there any tricks or examples on how to create a natural grab/stick/ungrab interaction for the new interaction system (and Knuckles controllers)?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  2. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

Ok, this was a lot easier to resolve than I originally imagined.

To fix my issues where knuckles was releasing too easily I simply turned down the "Value Release Threshold" in the new bindings input settings. That solved it for the Knuckles.

Then for the standard wand controller I changed the grip binding type from "click" to "toggle" and now things stick to the controller and I must "ungrab" them.

Maybe not a solution in all cases.. but doing it via bindings solved this issue well enough.