Search Unity

How to *INCREASE* latency to improve fluidity in Unity3d networking

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by julkiewicz, Oct 22, 2016.

1. julkiewicz

julkiewicz

Hi,

I have a game where latency is almost completely irrelevant - players choose their moves aforehand, and then all observe the results as they are "streamed" from the host. The game involves a lot of physics and quite a few moving objects - up to 100-200 at once.

I setup basic networking using NetworkTransform with interpolation (rigidbody3d mode). It all works fine over localhost.

PROBLEM: I decided to test the setup in a simulated 300 ms lag environment. Unfortunately, the animations are no longer fluid as they should be.

QUESTION: The solution I had in mind was increasing the latency of the clients, so that the data received can be buffered, which would help with the fluidity (as I said above, latency doesn't matter, because this phase of the game is non-interactive). HOW to do it? Is it possible with Unity HLAPI?

Best regards,
    Julius

2. julkiewicz

julkiewicz

Well, I ended up implementing NetworkTransform myself. It's easy enough to do and the out-of-the box NetworkTransform is really messed up and filled with bugs.