Search Unity

Third Party How to get client ip in MLAPI+Photon

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Balphagore, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Balphagore

Balphagore

I am making a simple client / server application using MLAPI and Photon transport. Everything connects and works fine, but now I want to add more functionality. For example, I want to see the ip of the connected clients on the server. How can this be done?

2. tobiass

tobiass

The public IP of clients is not exposed with the Photon transport.
    In most cases, this is a welcome security feature. What's your intention?

Joe-Censored likes this.
  3. Balphagore

Balphagore

And if i use Unet transport? The main idea is to fight against cheaters and banned players. They can create new accounts in order to log into the server. Or catch users who use various methods to spoof their ip.
    I just have an example of one small game where cheaters and griefers greatly interfere with the gameplay and the administration fights them mercilessly. There is a system of automatic bans, by ip, by some markers of user hardware. There is even a "Panic bunker", which prohibits registration of new users for 24 hours if a massive attack of bad guys is recorded. I don't really understand yet how everything works for them, just for a start I want to get at least the ip address of users.

4. tobiass

tobiass

I don't know.
    The public IP is also easy to change and might be shared with other users on the same ISP, etc.
    Banning players will likely only work if you require accounts, phone verification or something alike. Sorry, I have no first hand experience with that.