Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question How to generate mesh collider for imported 3D model that is more accurate to its shape?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by farazk86, Dec 5, 2022.

1. farazk86

farazk86

Hi,

I have a rather complex model exported from blender, its a render of a small city. I want to apply some physics simulations to it and that would require it to have colliders. Here is a close up of on of its sections:

Unity_0XZ0Sbh50m.png

I want the mesh colliders to be more accurate to its shape, such as individual buildings and such are detected by the mesh colliders.

When I add a "mesh collider" to this object, it creates something similar to a box collider.. not very helpful

image_2022-12-05_210942650.png

Is it possible to add a more accurate mesh collider?

If not possible as a built in Unity option, can some one kindly suggest an asset that would make this possible.

Thank you

2. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

Turn off the "convex" option on the MeshCollider. Though a single concave mesh collider of this size/complexity is probably not going to perform well.

farazk86 likes this.
  3. farazk86

farazk86

aah.. silly me, thanks for pointing out that convex was the issue.

Any suggestions on how I can improve the performance of this given its size and collision enabled?