Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

How to find system requirements to play the game!?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by elmar1028, Feb 25, 2014.

1. elmar1028

elmar1028

So I made a game for computers. (Yay!)

Now I need to tell user what graphics card is should he use, how much RAM it takes etc. How can I find game's system requirements? :confused: I heard that I need to test it on multiple computers to get minimum and recommended system requirements, but I don't have such to do so! Is there sort of unity plugin, software, which allows me to get system requirements?

Thanks in advance! :)

P.S: I am Unity Free user.

wns likes this.
  2. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

You have to find it out yourself :)

You have to take the game to different machines and test if it runs fine.

If you do not have the required hardware to test it , you could send the game to some people with different hardware to let them test it.

For some parts you can guess ore measure on your PC , like the ram usage: Just open the task manager while the game is running and take a look at the ram usage.

For the CPU you can look at the task manager too and take a look how many of your CPU cores are used how much by the game. (May be useful to restrict the game to one or two cpu cores for testing).

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    carlakro likes this.
  3. elmar1028

elmar1028

Never thought of that! Thanks!

4. superlevi12345

superlevi12345

There are multiple ways to get minimum specs for your game, some easier than others.

For stuff like OS, graphics card, and CPU compatibility, that info can be accessed easily.For example, if you are making a game with Unity, the system requirements can be found here, on Unity's official requirements page.In fact, it even provides in-depth details for platforms, such as iOS, Android, WebGL, and Windows Store Apps.Just look under "For running Unity games" to find the correct info_Other engines should have similar pages too.

For more complex requirements(RAM, CPU cores, storage needed, etc.), you can test those out on the current system you are creating on.To find RAM and CPU cores, you can use Task Manager( opened with CTRL+SHIFT+ESC or CTRL+ALT+DEL, then select Task Manager).Once it's opened, make sure that all apps under Apps, except your game, of course, are closed to get the best answer.Then look at the CPU usage of your game.Let's say you have a 2 core system.If the core usage is high(I consider high to be 40% or higher), then a good minimum would be 2 cores. If an 8 core system has the usage at 20%, that would make a good recommended spec and so on and so forth.The same can be said for RAM.If a 2 GB RAM system has the memory usage at 40%, then that would be a good minimum spec. And, like before, if an 8 GB RAM system has the RAM usage at 20%, then that would make a good recommended spec.Finding the amount of space your game takes is easy; just add the number of gigabytes(GB)/megabytes(MB) your game application(.exe or other) takes with the amount the game data takes and you have your answer.I would also record the RAM and CPU usages at different graphics settings, resolutions, and framerates to find the best minimum and recommended requirements.

Now, finally, one thing you could do is test the game on multiple old systems and see how they run the game, and you could use those as your minimum specs.If you don't have access to old PC's, then you could send the game to other people with different hardware, have them test it, and see how it plays out.

And from there, you should have a good minimum/recommended system requirements chart for your game!I should mention that you can also easily add stuff like controller support or online connection requirements, there are some great links to use.If anyone has any questions or comments, I'll be happy to respond!

[1]: https://unity3d.com/unity/system-requirements
    [2]: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ConventionalGameInput.html
    [3]: https://help.livestream.com/hc/en-u...rnet-Connection-Do-I-Need-in-Order-to-Stream-