Search Unity

Question How to download an older Apple Silicon patch release with Android module?

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by antifuzz, Jan 19, 2022.

1. antifuzz

antifuzz

If you want to download an Apple Silicon version, there doesn't seem to a way to download any but the latest version whether you try and use the Hub or not.

I need to install a particular version (2021.2.3f), but the current release is 2021.2.8f1 which is the only one you can select through the Hub. If you go the download archive on the website, and press the green Unity Hub button next to the desired release, it only offers to download the Intel version, with no option to download the Apple Silicon version.

Instead of installing through Hub, if you choose "Unity Editor (Apple silicon)" from the desired release in the download archive, you can download the editor okay, but then there doesn't seem to be a way of installing additional modules for it (I need Android). If you click the button with the build settings to add the Android module, it appears to download and install, but then doesn't appear in the editor.

So... can't seem to find a way of doing this..?

Zamaroht and konsnos like this.
  2. scottgarberjr

scottgarberjr

I am having the same issue. My two methods tried have been:
    1) Install from the Download Archive using the green "Unity Hub" button. Results in downloading the intel version
    2) Installed the Editor using the the second dropdown and selecting "Unity Editor (Apple silicon). From here I can try to run it using
    a) MacOS Installer program, which is not successful, or by
    b) dragging the package into Unity Hub (the UI responds as if I can), which does nothing.

Any suggestions?

3. scottgarberjr

scottgarberjr

UPDATE:

Here's what I did to install:

1) Go to the Download Archive: https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive
    2) Click the second dropdown and select "Unity Editor (Apple Silicon)"
    Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 1.37.59 PM.png
    3) After it downloads, Apple Security might not let you just open it. If that is the case, you should be able to either right-click it in your Downloads folder or otherwise in your Finder and select Open With --> Installer.
    4) Click through everything. This will not automatically populate your versions in the hub, but if you close Unity and Go to your applications and open Unity (not the hub, at the time of this post it is the block icon not the white one), it will add the version to your Installs.

I hope this helps!

4. MrPure3D

MrPure3D

Same problem here,
    It needs to be fixed, so that you can download Archived Unity Apple Silicon versions from the Hub.

5. TRDemigod

TRDemigod

yeah instead of finding workarounds to the issue, we need an easy way to download any version via hub with the silicon option.

6. d1ke

d1ke

Found another workaround:
    1) Download Unity Editor (Apple Silicon) of needed version from archive and install it.
    2) Download Unity Download Assistant from same version dropdown.
    3) Launch Unity Download Assistant, deselect Unity, select needed modules.
    4) Profit

7. KarimGeiger

KarimGeiger

I honestly don't understand why it's taking them more than four months to fix this issue. It's not like it would be hard. The Hub already has the ability to install Apple Silicon releases. All they would have to do is to update their Archive page to include a "/Arm64" or whatever in the Hub-URL and the Hub to then request the correct file. How is that more than 30 minutes of development effort?

Zamaroht, ci_unity306 and koglul like this.
  8. ZenTeapot

ZenTeapot

YES PLEASE FIX THIS.
    It's agonizing as hell. Not to mention I'm located in China and Unity China just forces users to downlaod the c1 postfix versions at every single possible opportunity, that unity normal versions won't even recognize.

koglul likes this.
  9. chris-nolet

chris-nolet

The best way I've found to handle this, whilst keeping everything in Unity Hub, is to:

1. Install the Intel version via Unity Hub using the Hub link at: https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive
    2. Install the matching Apple Silicon version (also via the archive)
    3. Remove the Intel app from
    /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/[version]/Unity.app

4. Replace it with the Apple Silicon version of the app from
    /Applications/Unity/Unity.app

The installation will show in Unity Hub as an Apple Silicon install.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
  10. arya204

arya204

I can't believe this issue still isn't resolved. I need the apple silicon version for work and I can't even install the modules I need. This is honestly so frustrating because I don't feel like it should even be a lot of dev effort to fix this. Please Unity team, get on this issue. It's a pain for any newer Macbook Pro developers to do their work.

EDIT: The workaround solution by @chris-nolet works! It's still ridiculous that you even need a workaround for this but at least I can do my work now. Thanks Chris, and please Unity team fix this issue.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  11. JungilhoonGameBerry

JungilhoonGameBerry

I sincerely hope this issue is resolved.

12. Xoorf

Xoorf

I hope this issue is resolved

13. spatialwb

spatialwb

Latest answer from support:

Thanks for your email,

Sorry to hear you are having issues downloading Unity Editor Apple Silicon versions in the hub. Unfortunately, archived versions are available at the moment via the archive page:

https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive

The devs are working to add a feature to allow archived Editor versions to be available to download inside the hub. You can keep an eye in the roadmap

https://unity.com/roadmap/unity-hub

Please let me know if you have any further problems or questions.​

14. oobartez

oobartez

@spatialwb I could not find the feature you mentioned in the roadmap, could you point me in the right direction?

I have also explained the problem here:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/how-to-download-silicon-builds-from-hub-3-0.1213110/#post-7742796

It appears that Unity DOES have hub installers for Silicon builds of the editor, because they allow you to download them for recent versions. What does not make any sense is that they do not let you download them for versions other than the most recent one - neither using the hub nor the archive page. The only thing you can do is download the standalone installer which defies the whole purpose of using Unity Hub.

15. spatialwb

spatialwb

That was the response from support team, but indeed I don't see that anywhere on the roadmap

16. Francoimora

Francoimora

September 2022 and still no fix for this. This is getting ridiculous.

17. oobartez

oobartez

Yup, it doesn't make much sense. No real dev team works on the latest version the whole time. We upgrade every two weeks but even then it's usually not the most recent version but the 1-3 weeks older one. The reason for that is that it takes time to test a new build, and that Unity Cloud Build usually lags behind.

So while the current Unity Hub claims to support Silicon builds, it only does so on paper, not in real-world scenarios.

18. pplcf

pplcf

Same problem

19. aronsommer

aronsommer

October 8 2022 same problem :)

20. sebastianAR

sebastianAR

same problem

21. NPUGames

NPUGames

same problem

22. Mike_Olv

Mike_Olv

Same problem

23. GoldFireStudios

GoldFireStudios

Guess I might as well bump this one too. How is this not fixed yet?

24. rodrigolaiz

rodrigolaiz

Same problem

25. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

26. wdc_bigbluegames

wdc_bigbluegames

Still not resolved. Cost me half a day yesterday because it was misconfigured with an older version of Unity. Downloading the Intel version first, then overwriting with the Apple Silicon binary is the safest way it appears so that the modules.json file is using modules for the correct version of Unity.

27. MarcusGraf23

MarcusGraf23

It still is not resolved. Now it's even worse: when I try to download an older silicon version from the archive (for instance Unity 2020.3.42), it will give me a "permission denied" XML file. Does anyone get the same error?
    Code (csharp):
    1. <Error>
    2. <Code>AccessDenied</Code>
    3. <Message>Access denied.</Message>
    4. <Details>Anonymous caller does not have storage.objects.get access to the Google Cloud Storage object. Permission 'storage.objects.get' denied on resource (or it may not exist).</Details>
    5. </Error>

28. MarcusGraf23

MarcusGraf23

Looking at another forum post, I found out that "The Editor that is native Apple silicon is only supported in 2021 LTS. The path you are trying to get doesn't exist."

29. chris-nolet

chris-nolet

I just upgraded to the latest LTS, and wanted to confirm that this still works:

You can also download Android modules and build support for other platforms via the Hub this way. Everything works as-expected with the above workaround. I hope this continues to help people working on Apple Silicon!

orenwang likes this.
  30. Bacon123414

Bacon123414

I figured out a way to do it within the hub! all you have to do is use this link: unityhub://2021.3.5f1/40eb3a945986
    replace the red with the version you are trying to download, and paste it into the search bar and press enter. or watch this video

make sure to share the video around so that people can actually install unity versions without some stupid workaround

31. chris-nolet

chris-nolet

GoldFireStudios likes this.
  32. GoldFireStudios

GoldFireStudios

UrosSpasenovic likes this.
  33. UrosSpasenovic

UrosSpasenovic

GoldFireStudios likes this.
  34. wolilio

wolilio

still not fix