Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

How to create Minecraft in Unity : Tutorial Series

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheCGMaster, May 9, 2017.

1. TheCGMaster

TheCGMaster

In this tutorial series, i will show you guys how to create a Minecraft in Unity using simple, easy, plugins from this very community! The tutorials will come out on this thread weekly.

2. GB51

GB51

Looks promising, thumbs up for this one!:)

TheCGMaster likes this.
  3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

How to do an asset flip. I'm surprised we need a tutorial for that one. :p

jordangrant3d, frosted, Ryiah and 3 others like this.
  4. Jofnir_IceSesh

Jofnir_IceSesh

What this guys said

At least update the title, not everyone likes to pull the asset flip. I was genuinely interested in it when I read the title, thinking perhaps I could learn some new scripting logic and work arounds. Title is rather clickbait imho.

5. Ryiah

Ryiah

Who are the intended viewers of the series? What is it intending to teach? My initial thought reading the title was that it would teach how to create a Minecraft-style game from scratch but when I read the actual post contents I quickly realized this wouldn't cover the voxel aspects. The tutorial would still likely be intermediate though.

Then I watched the explanation video for the code. Or rather I started watching it but quickly stopped paying attention to the actual tutorial and more to the way you were presenting your code to the audience. Your code presentation was simply all over the place in terms of difficulty.

Someone who is just starting to learn code may find it useful to know that a function labeled "Start" is a start function, but someone who is being told how the game is generating the world should already know this and someone who doesn't yet know won't understand the actual code you're trying to explain.

For future videos I recommend determining your intended audience and only building videos for them.

6. ToshoDaimos

ToshoDaimos

Minecraft making tutorial which skips dealing with voxels. XD

Michieal likes this.
  7. TheCGMaster

TheCGMaster

Thanks for your feedback! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to deliver on the "Voxel" Part of the Series, which to many people is the most important. The difficulty level of which the Terrain is generated is way beyond my skills, in C#, and in the math to explain how it all works. I Apologize for false leading you and many other people into believing that i build a Voxel Engine from scratch, I hope to understand the way this Voxel system works so that i can create one from scratch later on. And as for the Script explanation, I understand that it was all over the place, but i was crushed for time because I had to get a tutorial out and had already created that tutorial 5-6 times trying to get it to ACTUALLY explain something rather then go all over the place like i did.

8. TheCGMaster

TheCGMaster

I apologize for the asset flip, unfortunately, my skills in C# and the way the math works, in general, is way beyond my skill, i hope to learn from this current project and re-create the voxel system later on, explaining how it works and how to create it COMPLETLY from scratch, thanks for feedback!

9. TheCGMaster

TheCGMaster

I apologize on both the Asset flip and the Clickbait Title, I was more creating a tutorial for beginner to intermediate level unity developers. I am hoping to create another tutorial later on creating a completely new voxel system for another tutorial, once i understand how this current one works. Thanks for your Feedback!

10. neginfinity

neginfinity

Uh, why would you start with minecraft engine tutorial if the math involved is beyond your skills?

Michieal, HolBol, QFSW and 1 other person like this.
  11. Ryiah

Ryiah

You might be able to get away with just using GPU instancing for the cubes. I know someone took that approach for their Minecraft clone in Unreal 4 and the result was playable. It wouldn't be the most ideal solution but it wouldn't be very complex to set up either.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/GPUInstancing.html

12. TheCGMaster

TheCGMaster

The math involved in the Voxel system is beyond my skill, other than that I'm fine, I have already created the tutorial for Block Placing and Block Dropping, and even the inventory system, the only thing I, unfortunately, didn't understand was the most important part, the voxel system, so I got a package for that instead of creating it myself.

13. TheCGMaster

TheCGMaster

I will look into that! Thanks for the help! I will probably use this, and if i do, i will make sure to mention your name.

14. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Why would there be any time pressure?

As a beginner, even if you have limited time to spend, wouldn't it better spent learning? At this stage, attempting to teach others doesn't really help them or yourself, especially when the information is incorrect or incomplete. Learn first, then share, it will be better for everyone. Good luck.

Michieal, QFSW, Socrates and 2 others like this.
  15. frosted

frosted

You should really, at the very least, credit the author of the pack youre using.

You're distributing it via dropbox, is that even legal?

16. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

There are other videos on the channel pointing people to download Pokemon assets. Unless Nintendo has drastically changed their tune, that's still illegal.

So the OP doesn't seem to understand or care much about copyright laws.

17. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Pro tip: You can produce better quality tutorials if you record in multiple takes, then edit later. I tend to record all the visuals first, then stitch the visuals together. Then I record the audio on top of the visual.

Ryiah likes this.
  18. neoshaman

neoshaman

I think he is just targeting the wrong crowd here, it seems to be aimed at fan game and hobby dev by a hobby channel.

19. neginfinity

neginfinity

IF assets being used are from unity asset store then by default asset store eula forbids redistribution.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    QFSW likes this.
  20. Ryiah

Ryiah

frosted likes this.
  21. Player7

Player7

make a tutorial, post on unity general forums, get S*** on.

geez you guys complaining come off like tards..

also the asset that was released on BSD license, on sourceforge.. that's an asset flip?

That's the original package authors intent.. so guy comes along and makes a tutorial showing others how to update it and get it working because its like years old (says alot about the voxel engines on the asset stores tbh).. but because its not a full blown tutorial on how 101 voxel engine, its shot down.

frosted likes this.
  22. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes. I've mentioned this before. Just about every voxel engine on the asset store is abandoned or in a very limited state.

Cubiquity constantly comes to mind because it was constantly being advertised, but it never came with source code for the core engine which makes it practically useless for many developers and lacked support for basic concepts found in Minecraft like "infinite" worlds. At least it became free when it was abandoned though.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/12689

Unlike Ultimate Terrains which is still being sold despite the author basically being MIA.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/31100

There are others but last I checked they were all very inferior to these two.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  23. neoshaman

neoshaman

Most of these assets I only look at them as learning material, there is no way they will cover all my esoteric need.

24. TheCGMaster

TheCGMaster

Thanks everyone for their responses! I apologize for misleading you, i meant for the material to be for a beginner to an intermediate skilled developer!

Nateply likes this.
  25. ZackDev7391

ZackDev7391

Download?

KosmixDev likes this.