Search Unity

Question How does LocalClientId work?

Discussion in 'Netcode for GameObjects' started by lavagoat, Feb 1, 2023.

1. lavagoat

lavagoat

Hello,
    I wanted to know how exactly does NetworkManager.Singleton.LocalClientId works. What is the number it represents?
    For example, let's say I have 3 clients - 0,1,2. Client 1 dissconects. Does the local client id's update to - 0,1 - or stays - 0,2?
    If another player joins will it be - 0,2,1 - or - 0,2,3?
    Thank you!

JohnnyConnor and lavagoatGG like this.
  2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Consider this to be a unique identifier of connected clients only, no more no less. Ids of connected clients never change.

If a client reconnects it could use any Id, possibly the next highest one but it may also be a formerly used Id that‘s been made available again. I think the docs mention this somewhere.

lavagoatGG likes this.
  3. lavagoatGG

lavagoatGG

Thanks.
    I want to check the order of the clients, but I can get the ConnectedClientIds only on server. Is there a way to check the order of the clients on each client? I am using the lobby service but it seems complicated to get the order through there.

4. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Are you sure ConnectedClientList is server only? I don‘t think so but I can‘t say for sure.
    As an alternative you could send a ClientRpc with a list of Ids whenever a client connects or disconnects.

5. lavagoatGG

lavagoatGG

upload_2023-2-3_13-35-21.png
    It says so in the documentation.
    I will probably use clientRPC. Thank you