Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I go about this?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by mayamay3, Sep 26, 2022.

1. mayamay3

mayamay3

Sorry if this is too broad of a question, but I'm trying to make my first game that's a bit more complex than the usual starting out projects. I wanted to make a simple hospital simulator, with a main game loop consisting of accepting patients, checking out their symptoms, giving appropriate diagnosis and adequate treatment for said diagnosis. Where could I learn to code something like this? Are there any good resources or examples that are similar to what I'm looking for or could be applied here?

Thanks so much.

2. RadRedPanda

RadRedPanda

Sounds pretty broad as you mentioned, and I don't believe anyone's done a tutorial on this type of tycoon-like game. You're probably going to have to break down your game into different systems and find separate tutorials/resources to walk you through each one. For example, I immediately thought of Two-Point Hospital, and imagined that you would need some kind of City Builder system, so I'd start with that.

3. mgear

mgear

one interesting/fun bit to research would be creating & holding the person (patient) data.
    then you can start generating random patients and maybe random faces for them (depending if its a 2d/3d game or so)

4. spiney199

spiney199

The answers to this do depends on your experience level. The advice as such could alter from 'design each of your mechanics in isolation', if you think you can tackle them as mini-projects to, 'keep plugging away at learning Unity' if you feel like that's getting ahead of yourself.

That said, throwing yourself at a project is a good trial by fire.

Personally I would look at how you can break this down into smaller pieces and begin there.

orionsyndrome likes this.
  5. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies