Search Unity

How do I create nested loop IJobParallelFor?

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by IC_, Aug 18, 2018.

1. IC_

IC_

Hello. I want to create a grid of some entities with ecs. Each entity should have component GridComponent that contains two ints x and y. How do I implement a job and jobcomponentsystem for it

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

3. IC_

IC_

4. tertle

tertle

one works in parallel with itself and the other doesn't. Ideally you use IJobParallelFor whenever you can for performance.

IJob allows you to schedule a single job that runs in parallel to other jobs and the main thread.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/2018.1/Documentation/ScriptReference/Unity.Jobs.IJob.html

Parallel-for jobs allow you to perform the same independent operation for each element of a native container or for a fixed number of iterations.
    When Scheduled the job's Execute(int index) method will be invoked on multiple worker threads in parallel to each other.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/2018.1/Documentation/ScriptReference/Unity.Jobs.IJobParallelFor.html

IC_ likes this.
  5. Zooltan

Zooltan

You can do the first for loop jobbed, and then do the inner for normally.

You will probably want to make a flat array, as you can't have a nested NativeArray.

This code is just written from memory, but should give you an idea of how it works.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. struct VelocityJob : IJobParallelFor
    2.     {
    4.         public NativeArray<GridComponent> yourArray;
    6.         // The code actually running on the job
    7.         public void Execute(int i)
    8.         {
    9.             int size = yourArray.length;
    10.             for(int j = 0; j < size; j++)
    11.             {
    12.                GridComponent component = yourArray[i * size + j];
    13.             }
    14.         }
    15.     }
    But you might run into some problems, where you are not allowed to read from some of the entities, as each thread is only allowed access to a part of the whole data.
    You can get around that, by making your array ReadOnly, but that only works if you don't need to write to them.

I don't have a solution to all this right now, but I hope this will help you get started.

DalamarTD7 and Chmyke like this.
  6. DalamarTD7

DalamarTD7

READ ONLY FTW!! Efing brilliant! Thank you.