Search Unity

Hosting for WebGL first person multiplayer game?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Edvard-D, May 25, 2020.

1. Edvard-D

Edvard-D

Hey all!

Wanted to see what hosting options are available for someone wanting to create a WebGL first person multiplayer game. In the searches I've done, Firebase seems to be suggested a lot. According to this video, Firebase is good for near real-time games, but wouldn't be the right choice if you need to sync the locations of players in real-time. I'm having a hard time finding other options, so any input would be much appreciated!

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

As far as hosting WebGL content, you just need any old webserver with enough bandwidth to transfer the WebGL content in a reasonable amount of time. There is nothing really special in the requirements. The only real issue is if you expect large numbers of players to all be opening the game simultaneously. In that case you may need a more beefy webserver.

But none of this has anything to do with the actual multiplayer aspect of the game. That's a separate topic. You would need to find a solution which implements websockets (the only networking browsers allow for WebGL) and is compatible with WebGL. I know I read in their documentation at least one of the Photon Cloud options supports WebGL. I'm not sure which other solutions have WebGL support.

Edvard-D likes this.
  3. Edvard-D

Edvard-D

Okay, good to know. As for networking, I'm using Mirror, which does seem to support WebGL.

4. rabsi

rabsi

hi. did you find a solution?
    appreciate pointing me in the right direction if so