Search Unity

Feature Request Host Migration

Discussion in 'Netcode for GameObjects' started by Andreas12345, Sep 5, 2022.

1. Andreas12345

Andreas12345

The NGO work good so far.
    But i miss Host Migration, if host lose connection or quit the game, next client will be the next host.
    In UNET was this available and its a really important function for non dedicated Servers.

2. CreativeChris

CreativeChris

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately, Host migration is not a supported functionality of NGO.

NGO has some drawbacks that make an unexpected host drop challenging such as:
    • Only the server has a list of all clients, no client knows about another client.
    • NetworkHide/NetworkShow means not all clients may have all information about the scene.
    • There are only two places where IsServer is set to true. Those two places are StartServer and StartHost.
    We're collecting ideas and feature requests through our roadmap. Please click the circular button with a plus symbol here at the halfway point of the page.

Andreas12345 likes this.
  3. m4ng4

m4ng4

wow really?
    Almost done with multiplayer for my game and my game wont work without host migration..
    So is my only option to look on other network solutions?

4. AlphaLulz

AlphaLulz

Host migration isn't a standard feature in networking solutions in general. The only one I can even think of that has it is Photon Fusion, but I don't think you'll want to use that one as it is pretty expensive. Your best bet is to find a way to do it yourself. That or you can use Unity Relay, which seems to support host migration kinda, though you do still have to generally make it yourself I believe.

5. Andreas12345

Andreas12345

PUN 2 have host migration. I will go back to it, because Unity let a version out with tons of issues and jitters.

6. AlphaLulz

AlphaLulz

Yeah, PUN 2 isn't really supported anymore though. Photon is focusing entirely on Fusion now. I recommend using that, as it's basically PUN but better.