Search Unity

Feedback Hololens 2 Remoting Failures and Crashes

Discussion in 'VR' started by EdBlais, Apr 17, 2020.

1. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

Hey everyone,

I've been seeing a lot of bug reports coming in regarding Hololens 2 remoting. Many people are hitting connection failures or outright crashing when they attempt to remote to a Hololens 2 device in either the Editor or a UWP x64 app executable. Because we are seeing more bugs coming in than usual, I wanted to provide a bit of info as well as get feedback from anyone who is still experiencing issues.

We recently fixed some remoting problems and updated the remoting libraries with fixes available in 2018.4.20f1 using Windows Mixed Reality package 1.0.19 and 2019.3.7f1 using Windows Mixed Reality package 4.2.1.

If you are experiencing issues, please upgrade to one of the above versions or newer. When upgrading, I also recommend updating Windows on your Hololens 2 device and then forcing an update to the Holographic Remoting app reinstalling it. If you continue to experience issues after having done all of the above, please message this thread with the error you are getting and the Unity log from the failure.

As an additional, we've had report on both empty projects and projects with MRTK. However, it's worth noting that because I've been unable to reproduce, a reproducible project that is very close to empty would be preferred as that limits the possibilities of where the issue could be present.

Thanks very much for your help and sorry for the delay in fixing this if it is effecting you.

JasonCostanza likes this.
  2. ninjanosui

ninjanosui

3. QinmingRen

QinmingRen

Unity Technologies

Still not working here.
    Unity 2019.3.8f1 and 2018.4.21f1
    In the Editor, I can use holographic remoting to connect hololens2. But from C# code, sometimes it works, sometimes the SLAM not working, only 3 dof valid.
    Even worse, when I build UWP app and connect hololens2, I never succeeded. In the uwp app, I can see pointers and 3 dof and my 3D scene. But on hololens2, only audio can transfer, no image.
    I'm using legacy WMR plugin, 4.2.1/1.0.19. And use following code to initiate wmr remoting:
    IEnumerator connectProc()
    {
    XRSettings.LoadDeviceByName("WindowsMR");
    yield return null;
    XRSettings.enabled = true;
    HolographicRemoting.Connect(hololensIPField.text, 9999, gen1.isOn ? RemoteDeviceVersion.V1 : RemoteDeviceVersion.V2);
    }

Any suggestions?