Search Unity

High polling mouse causes stutter in editor. [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'Linux' started by AsciiRebellion, Feb 20, 2019.

1. AsciiRebellion

AsciiRebellion

Rapid editor interaction seems to have a negative effect on the editor FPS (stuttering).

Specifically, when I grab an object in the 3D scene view and move it, the faster I move it the more the view stutters.

The following link is an MP4 of a Unity window and a performance monitor.
    The video demonstrates the problem, and additionally shows the correlation between rapid input and increasing CPU load.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mTDmyOoNgOtx6YKWSvf_P9Rr4aEdv_dU/view?usp=sharing

Unfortunately, the threshold for the stutter is so low, that it is very difficult to work effeciently. The problem also appears to be exhibited in the UI panels as well (when scrolling too quickly).

This problem is only observed on my machine :( There are other machines in the office running Unity on Linux, that do not share this stuttering problem.

If anyone could lend some advice, that would be greatly appreciated!

System Specs:
    Unity 2019.2.0a4
    Nvidia 1070 Driver 415.27
    Intel i7-4790
    KDE Plasma 5.15
    Kernel 4.15
    KDE Neon 5.15

And, by the way, fantastic job Unity Linux team! You all rock. Our studio is currently evaluating Unity Linux in our standard pipeline. It's looking pretty solid!

SOLUTION:
    High polling mouse (Steel Series Rival) appears to cause stuttering in the editor.
    Fixed by swapping out this mouse for a regular cheap mouse with "normal" polling rate.
    If this affects you, consider voting for the task in the issue tracker:
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/input-polling-rates-drastically-decreases-editor-performance

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  2. mgear

mgear

3. AsciiRebellion

AsciiRebellion

Holy moly!

I AM, in fact, using a high polling mouse on that computer! Specifically a Steel Series Rival mouse. I am not at the office now, but I will check this tomorrow and report back.

PixelJ likes this.
  4. AsciiRebellion

AsciiRebellion

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  5. Ardinius

Ardinius

Also just dicovered this issue, they say its fixed in 2019.2.0a14 but if you need a work around without changing your Steel Series mouse just install the steel series engine, click on your mouse (it will automatically be detected) and from there you can change the polling rate. (Changing mine from the default of 1000 down to 500 resolved the issue with Unity Editor performance).

6. smtea

smtea

This is absolutely still a problem in 2019.3.4f1, running at 1000hz makes the viewports in the editor basically unusable, setting my polling rate to 500hz reduces the problem almost entirely

7. HassanKhallouf

HassanKhallouf

I have a logitech G502 I tried to lower the polling rate to 125 and it's still stuttering in the editor
    it's driving me insane, I can't use Unity at all this way

8. TheCheeb

TheCheeb

My Logitech MX518 is having the same issue. Lowering the polling rate in the Logitech Gaming Software has no impact on the muddy mouse feel.

9. ukoidyost

ukoidyost

I had the same issue and I solved it by turning off G-Sync.

dillontitcomb likes this.
  10. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

If this is still an issue for anyone in the Linux editor in the latest build (2020.2+), PLEASE log a bug using "Help > Report a Bug". Include your hardware, polling rate, etc. If throttling the polling rate down fixes it, include that too. We don't want the Linux editor dependent in any way on the mouse polling rate.