Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Helping to Make an Awesome Lighting Shader...

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by OliverJackman, Aug 2, 2019.

1. OliverJackman

OliverJackman

Hey guys! Sup?
    I'm Oliver and it's my first post here (Why newbies always says that?? xD )
    Anyway...

I'm dealing with a concept to use best rendering apps out there to light our unity scene up and I need your help and experiences to make it happen.
    Stay on line ...

Background
    I'm dealing with this concept for 3-4 years , Back in unity 4 I had shadow masking idea since I saw the method was used in Remember Me video game.
    I asked on some places and people answered it's not possible on unity and well , Unity added shadow masking in unity 5.

In remember me which made by Unreal Engine 3 , they baked every light static shadows in a separate texture and they used it to blend dynamic shadows with static shadows without any overlapping , which explains how a game like Remember Me had a amazing graphic in its time.

Unity Shadow Mask
    After I found out unity added shadow masking I felt so happy and good about it but it didn't take long.
    Limitation of 4 light because of 4 channel (RGBA) and mixing GI Bounces through dynamic lighting ?
    What if we can bake everything in scene via a amazing render engine with high accuracy like (V-Ray) and just use dynamic lights on dynamic objects and mix their shadows on static objects ?

Per-Light Shadow Mask Method
    Okay here we go , it's pretty simple!
    If there was a way to get shadows from specific and pre-defined lights on shader and use it as a mask , it could solve all problems with this concept :)

Here's a simple scene with 6 baked maps from V-Ray :

Channels [Baked Maps] :
    • Light A Direct
    • Light B Direct
    • Light A Indirect
    • Light B Indirect
    • Light A Shadowmask
    • Light B Shadowmask
    Okay , now if we have two more surface shader channel as ...
    • Light A Shadow Channel On Surface Shader
    • Light B Shadow Channel On Surface Shader
    We could use this processing to build Light A and Light B beauty channels :

A ) Multiply Dynamic Shadow Map A on Direct Light A then Add Indirect A and Here is Result :

B ) Multiply Dynamic Shadow Map B on Direct Light B then Add Indirect B and Here is Result :

C ) In final step , We just use Screen Blend on all light layers to mix them together :

And here we go, Final Result :

About this footage :
    Made by 3dsmax and aftereffects with same channels and methods explained above.
    Whole scene and shadows are baked only exploded sphere and its shadows are dynamic.

I know unity shadow system is fully customizable using 'UnityShadowLibrary.cginc' and I know unity
    uses HLSL so this link can be helpful ( Tutorial 41: Multiple Light Shadow Mapping )

I don't know much about shader writing , can you guys tell me is this possible and if yes help me to make it happen ? I know unity lighting system is pretty good enough right now but guess what you can do with power of a renderer like V-Ray...

Is it possible to get shadow map of specific lights in shader as a texture 2D or anything to mask emission ?

Here's a starter-kit for people like challenges :
    Download Unity 2019 ShadowBlend Starter-Kit [ Tiny Upload ]
    Download Unity 2019 ShadowBlend Starter-Kit [ Unity Server ]

I already did a masking with Light Attenuation but it sucks ( Fact : I Suck ) :[

ShadowBlend Vs Light Attenuation :

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you ^^

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019