Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with WebGL Build version 2018.2.2f1 Personal (64 bit).

Discussion in 'Web' started by KermitCHP, Aug 7, 2018.

?

How old is too old to program again?

1. You can always program again as long as the life-support machine is functioning!

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. If you are able to shave, you are unable to learn....

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. KermitCHP

KermitCHP

Good Afternoon,

OK, I'm an old guy who used to work in FORTRAN and BASIC back in the 1980's when an audio tape drive and a black and white television were high tech computer systems. I've taken a 30 plus year break from programming....and wow things have changed. And, I'm asking for your advice and help with WebGL Build.

Glitch Background:

1. My Unity is version 2018.2.2f1 Personal (64 bit). I've added the WebGL to the Build Settings after I loaded Unity.
    2. There was a previous version of Unity was 2018.2.0f1 but it wasn't able to load WebGL at all. When I tried to load the WebGL version, I got:

Version mismatch: Expected Unity 2018.2.0f2 installed, found 2018.2.2f1

Glitch Results:

1. When I build and run the game on the Linux platform, it runs fine.
    2. When I build and run the game with Unity 2018.2.2f1 Personal (64 bit) I end up with a product that I can zip and load to the internet. However, this game is just a gray screen without function as seen here:

http://www.sharemygame.com/share/464bba04-0590-4255-a96c-f5361d75e644

I appreciate any advice and help and even jokes you can give.

With thanks,

Kermit

PS: Back in the 1980s we did cybersecurity using sledgehammers, snips and electrical tape... ;)

2. JJJohan

JJJohan

The console reports this issue when the player has loaded:

UnityLoader.js:4 Invalid serialized file version. File: "globalgamemanagers". Expected version: 2018.2.0f2. Actual version: 2018.2.2f1.
    PlayerInitEngineNoGraphics settings: Failed to load PlayerSettings (internal index #0).
    Most likely data file is corrupted, or built with mismatching editor and platform support versions.
    Failed to initialize player

I'm not sure how you managed to get it into this state :p. What you could try is deleting your 'Library' inside your Unity project folder (do this while Unity is closed) and then re-open the project. These are editor generated files so you shouldn't lose any work. This should force Unity to rebuild everything again and you should hopefully stop seeing the version mismatch error.

In theory you shouldn't have to do this but it seems something got stuck somewhere. If that doesn't help, it could be that your Unity installation might have components mixed from different Unity versions. You might want to give reinstalling Unity a try - making sure the Unity folder is completely removed before you start installation so we don't risk the same problem occurring.

Things may have changed but we still have bugs :).

3. KermitCHP

KermitCHP

Good Morning,

Wow! That was fun.

I deleted the library files, and then reloaded Unity and it did just what you said. The fun part was watching Unity rebuild itself and the files. I had a search file window open as Unity rebuilt, and it was fun to watch Unity rebuilt itself.

Now I have the blue-screen-of-annoyance, but I can rebuilt my text-based video game program now. It was pretty simple, and I relearn each time I have to redo something.

Thanks for the help!

With thanks,

Kermit

4. KermitCHP

KermitCHP

Well...drat and double drat. That didn't work.

I still don't have WebGL, and I seem to have two version of Unity running. I don't like the idea of scrapping everything and starting again, but seems to be the only real option.

Any more advice?

With thanks,

-Aaron

5. KermitCHP

KermitCHP

If learning is making mistakes and recovering, I'm learning at a furious pace! ;)

6. KermitCHP

KermitCHP

OK, I've ripped out all the Unity files and programs (after backing up my script in Word...) and now I'm re-installing Unity 2018.2.2f1.

This time I'll write a very, very, very simple text-based video game program and then immediately try and get it up in WebGL.

This is fun! It's also frustrating, but fun!

Thanks!

Kermit

7. KermitCHP

KermitCHP

Howdy,

Wow! OK...that was painful starting again and reviewing the Udemy course that I'm on. I learned how much I didn't learn. :(

However, I'll have a game up on ShareMyGame before the end of the week.

Thanks,

Kermit

8. KermitCHP

KermitCHP

SUCCESS!!

Thank you JJJohan! You were a great help and I appreciate it.

Here is the game as it stands right now.

http://www.sharemygame.com/share/057498af-11b3-4fb6-999c-ef15ab620246

It needs a LOT of work. For example, the text doesn't fit into the text box, and the entire box that has the game is just a small rectangle inside of the area it should be in. But, I can work with this!

Thanks!

Kermit

9. KermitCHP

KermitCHP