Search Unity

Feedback HDRP Material Thumbnails

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by MissEmbyr, May 18, 2020.

1. MissEmbyr

MissEmbyr

So I'm not sure if this is down to one of my settings but I've noticed a strange behavior where HDRP / Shader Graph materials are blown out in the material thumbnail but look fine in-scene and in the preview windows that actually render the materials.

This is a bit of a pain as I am using a CSG workflow where I just drag materials onto faces instead of setting them up per-mesh. This may well be something I'm missing but if not it would be nice to get fixed.

2. dgoyette

dgoyette

I haven't experienced specifically the same thing, but I've found that the material thumbnails don't refresh when I might expect them to. Maybe try two things: Reimport the material in question; Select that material in the Project view, and see if the preview it shows on the right looks correct. Now, after doing that, has that affected the thumbnail at all?

3. MissEmbyr

MissEmbyr

Yeah I've made sure that the thumbnail refreshes, it seems to specifically be related to Emission as mentioned here you need to really crank the values to get it to show in HDRP but the preview window doesnt account for this. I dont know why I thought this wasnt in issue in the material preview.

upload_2020-5-18_20-0-54.png

4. dgoyette

dgoyette

Your screenshot is a little cut off, so I can't see whether you've got an emission texture on that material. I'm using HDRP in my project, and even if I crank the emission, I get reasonable material previews. But in my case, the material's not 100% emissive. I have an emissive map texture. In this screenshot, I've set the emission to +10 using the HDR color picker:

upload_2020-5-18_16-37-33.png

From your screenshot, it doesn't look like you're setting emission to an HDR color, so I'm surprised it's rendering so brightly. You can see from my screenshot that the object looks reasonable in the scene view as well as in the material preview. I wonder if it's possible your shader? If you just use the regular Lit shader, do you get the same issue?

Also, I'm not sure what kind of post-processing you're using, but high emission doesn't look very good in my game unless I'm using Bloom. So you might need to look into that.

5. MissEmbyr

MissEmbyr

Yeah it's just blowing out any non zero areas of the emission channel, in the above example I was using the emission node to set the intensity, but in this screenshot I switched to your methos of HDR color set to +10 upload_2020-5-18_23-28-48.png

6. dgoyette

dgoyette

Odd. If I understand, only a tiny portion of your material has any emission (the small cross in the middle), yet the preview is acting as though the entire thing is emissive? Again, all I can wonder is if it's something weird in your custom shader, and whether the same would happen if you create a plain old HDRP Lit material using the same textures for comparison. In any case, the result you're getting is definitely not what I'd expect to see, nor is it what I'm getting. Maybe you could swap out the master output node on your shader just to see if somehow the existing one has a problem?

7. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

Yes,
    It look like a known issue on static lighting sky that has been fixed and backported on our side.
    it will certainly be fixed in the new 7.4.0 package that will be out sometime around next week.

MissEmbyr likes this.
  8. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

9. MissEmbyr

MissEmbyr

Nope, there surrounding area is non-zero but this is just to show the issue more prominently.

Awesome!