Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

HDRP lit shader specular intensity

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by Atlantiss, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Atlantiss

Atlantiss

I am working on creating a realistic looking terrain in unity using HDRP.
    The terrain is an imported mesh to which I have applied layered lit material.

The problem is I can't control the strength of specular highlights that is coming from the sun (directional light).
    The specular highlight seems too high for a terrain that is supposed to be rough,even after adding mask map,the specular intensity does not decrease.
    Here's how it looks now :
    upload_2018-11-15_21-44-19.png

When i disable the 'Affect Specular' option of the directional light,I get this result which is how i want it to look:

upload_2018-11-15_21-46-21.png

But doing this disables specular highlight for all objects.
    Can someone help me to control the specular intensity for individual object / material which uses the lit/layered lit shader? I really want to be able to reduce and fine control the specular intensity of my terrain.

jjbish likes this.
  2. kilik128

kilik128

good question

3. racarate

racarate

Maybe you can use layers and have the terrain layer affected only by a specular-less sun?

4. Lhiowynh

Lhiowynh

Hey, have any of you guys noticed that the sun's specular is extremely bright no matter what it's illuminating? On a smooth plane (roughly 0.75 - 1.0 smoothness), and when using the "False Color" debug mode, the highlight is so far above the typical 0-1 range that you have to crank Threshold 3 up to some ridiculously high value before it even starts to fit into the range.