Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

HDRP decal not showing in standalone build?

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by Deadcow_, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Deadcow_

Deadcow_

As shown on this screenshots, we use decals for paintings on walls in this case. In standalone build decals are just missing. Not just this one, all of them.

Windows x64 Standalone build
    Unity 2018.3.13
    HDRP 4.10.0p
    ILCPP on and off

What may cause this?

2019-04-23_16-29-26.png 2019-04-23_16-35-24.png 2019-04-23_16-35-41.png

XCO likes this.
  2. Team6Developers

Team6Developers

We're also experiencing this issue since our upgrade to 2019.1.0f2, verified broken in standalone builds for PC (Steam) Switch, XboxOne and PS4. A clean project including HDRP with no modified settings has the same results: No decals in standalone builds.

The error we're getting on all platforms:
    RenderingCommandBuffer: invalid pass index 4 in DrawMeshInstanced

3. Team6Developers

Team6Developers

Fixed it by setting "perChannelMask" to true in the pipeline settings (translated in editor to Metal and Ambient Occlusion Properties). This also resolved the "invalid pass index 4 in DrawMeshInstanced" error. Sounds like a bug, but oh well, at least decals work.

I hope this works for you too, best of luck.

edwiz7 likes this.
  4. Deadcow_

Deadcow_

Did you mean this one?
    2019-04-25_09-21-46.png

Just tried it, makes no difference :( I also tried to set 2048 or 8192 Atlas size and increase Draw distance just in case. No luck :(

Did you changed some other settings maybe? Terrible time to find out this one. We want to arrange some showcase TODAY :mad:

5. Team6Developers

Team6Developers

Thats the one yes, unfortunately that's the only change. You could try upgrading to 2019 and use hdrp 5, copying your project and using the unity HUB allows you to keep both projects and unity versions.

The only change we had to make was replacing all post processing stack v2 objects with HDRP volumes, besides that no new issues.

Best of luck! Lets hope for an official Unity response on the matter.

6. Deadcow_

Deadcow_

We tried to upgrade, but we have one custom post process effect and figured out HDRP PP not allows to cave custom ones yet. But I'll try again just to check if decals will work. Thanks

7. Deadcow_

Deadcow_

I'm really hope to get the answer from Unity Team, guys? :oops:

8. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi,

when a shader isn't available in the player it mean it have been stripped.
    Now the question is to know why. There could be a bug, or you can have forget to check or uncheck an option that is required. For example for the Metal and AO, this is required if you have decal that must affect AO or metal.
    See all settings here: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipeline/wiki/HDRP-Asset
    Also in 2019.1 you have a help box that explain what is removing shader variant in HDRP asset inspector.

I will let our QA know about the issue , see if he can repro, but we don't produce fix for 2018.3 currently (HDRP is in preview and have change a lot in 2019.1, and our QA effort is making 19.1 more stable.

Deadcow_ likes this.
  9. Remy_Unity

Remy_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi. There is indeed an issue with the decals, and more specifically the decal projector. Thanks for reporting.
    While you're waiting for a fix, you can (if possible) switch to using mesh decals : simply apply the decal material on a mesh object (a quad for example), and place it a bit over the surface you want it to be applied on.

Deadcow_ likes this.
  10. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

We found the root cause of the issue. Shader are stripped and cause projector material to be in different order causing rendering issue. Thanks for the report. Fix will be available in 5.14 publish next week.

Deadcow_ likes this.
  11. Deadcow_

Deadcow_

We have a bunch of problems with 2019.1 upgrade and we're still on 18.3, for now we'll try to swap decals with quads where possible. Thanks!

12. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

13. JamieD64

JamieD64

Hi, I am experiencing the same issue. Is this fix being merged into a release this week to go up on the Unity Downloads page or will I need to grab it from GitHub? I am little hesitant to go poking around in the source.

Cheers!

14. JamieD64

JamieD64

15. FGallorini

FGallorini

No i'm waiting to

16. ahmet_unity826

ahmet_unity826

Unity 2109.3.0a7 with HDRP 6.5.2 can not render the decals in standalone. I think some newer version of HDRP fixes the problem but that version has other issues with automated building so we are also waiting for a more stable build.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  17. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Decals still not working. Well they are working but do not respect drawing distance setting now. Latest HDRP 6.9.0 and Unity 2019.2.2f1 ! They just appear when you are like 5 units aways from them !

18. Remy_Unity

Remy_Unity

Unity Technologies

I was not able to reproduce this issue (with a simple scene tough) using Unity 2019.3.0a12 and HDRP 7.0.1

19. MA-Rob

MA-Rob

Having the same issue, decals never work in standalone even when the shaders are included. 2019.3.0a11 and HDRP 7.0.1

olavrv likes this.
  20. olavrv

olavrv

Created en empty project with HDRP 7.1.x 20. September, Unity 2019.3.0b4. Added a sphere with a decal projector onto it. Works in editor, no decal in build. Windows 10 x64

21. Remy_Unity

Remy_Unity

Unity Technologies

We were able to reproduce the issue and an fix is on it's way. It should land in the next package release (7.1.3).

It was something tied to the shader stripping.

olavrv likes this.
  22. olavrv

olavrv

Fantastic news!

23. nehvaleem

nehvaleem

Do you have an ETA for 7.1.3?

24. olavrv

olavrv

It is available on git. We have tested it and it works fine now!

nehvaleem likes this.
  25. mnenad

mnenad

Just to clearify: I have Unity 2019.2.5f1 installed (latest stabile Unity Version for PC and Mac) and latest Version of HDRP. I get decals working in the Editor Window, also in the Camera View of the Scene - but unfortunately no decals show up in Game View of the Unity Editor. Also the builds do not include decals (I expected this tho).

Views Image: https://ibb.co/V259jc9

Decals Projector Image: https://ibb.co/dMZ25CJ

I'm also using the Cinemachine Asset. If tick the "FullScreen Passthrough" option in the Camera Component Settings decals are rendered in Game View. But ofc this is not a suitable option.

Camera Settings Image: https://ibb.co/G28rKBN

I'm curious if I'm having a thread (bug) related problem or my settings are not set up correctly.
    I have all decal options enabled and set up in my HDRP Asset settings as well...

Hope for an answer @Remy_Unity
    Thank you

26. Deadcow_

Deadcow_

Strange, seemingly 7.1.3 was released just a few days ago. I just tried to import it in our project and... decals are not working! :(
    So my current setup: 2019.3.0b10? HDRP7.1.3 (installed manually, not with package manager). Is there something we can do about it now? Almost 7 months past since this problem is present :eek:

27. FastKillteam1

FastKillteam1

same issue here... decals work in editor, but not in playmode or builds

28. Blinkq

Blinkq

have another issue with decals.
    After updating HDRP from 7.1.2(package) to 7.2.0(git).
    Faced really strange issue.
    upload_2019-11-11_14-5-31.png
    after editing any decal variable(size, fadeDistance), it leaves copy, and I cant find that copy and remove it.
    upload_2019-11-11_14-7-4.png

29. Deadcow_

Deadcow_

Guys? I'm really hoping to hear from unity devs about this issue :rolleyes:

30. FastKillteam1

FastKillteam1

I managed to fix the issue in my project by setting decals to their own layer, and ensuring only one camera renders that layer, hope this helps someone

31. mnenad

mnenad

I did the same, but I don't see this as a long term solution for my whole project so I agree with @Deadcow_ that this needs to be fixed by some unity devs. thank you

32. Deadcow_

Deadcow_

Do you guys also see no updates for HRDP in package manager? In 2019.3 HDRP 7.1.1 is the only option. There is lots of fixes from 7.1.1 to 7.1.5, I wonder why they are not present in UPM

33. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

I successfully installed 7.1.5. It is visible !
    Maybe try to clear cache in Roaming/Unity.... folder !?

34. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

Are you using staging packages?

35. WI_Spas

WI_Spas

Experiencing a similar issue, decals don't appear to update until you press Play sometimes, a guaranteed way to make it happen is by changing the material on a decal and moving it, the version with the previous material appears to be "baked" onto the position, even if you move the decal. this happened after we updated to 7.1.5, issue wasn't present in 7.1.2

Blinkq likes this.
  36. Deadcow_

Deadcow_

I just noticed this line in manifest.json
    upload_2019-11-20_16-16-46.png
    I removed it and now I see tons of updates in UPM :rolleyes: I have no idea how that happened.
    What are those staging packages?

Blinkq likes this.
  37. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

Storage for early versions of first packages iteration just for separation early versions from something stable

38. Velo222

Velo222

If your decals are not showing up in the Game view, but they do in the Scene view, this might be caused if you're using more than one camera with HDRP. For some reason the decals stop working if you don't tell all of your cameras to render the layer the decals are on. Unity should be aware of it now.

There's another thread about this: https://forum.unity.com/threads/decal-problem-in-hdrp.740945/#post-5121548

39. Alaiing

Alaiing

Hi!
    I'm having the same issue here. I'd like to add that if I disable the decal projector by script, the decal snaps to position (0,0,0) and stays there forever.
    Hope we can find a solution for this.

Edit: I'm using Unity 2019.3.0f6 with HDRP package 7.1.8

40. hertz-rat

hertz-rat

I think I am seeing a similar issue, except with materials (or at least, my character materials). I made a thread here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/shadowed-parts-of-characters-are-gray.819990/

41. CohercitionDev

CohercitionDev

HI
    I've fixed it :

- In graphics Setting Set : Strip unused in Instancing Variant.

Decal go back in Build

I hope that help you

OMGOMGXAXA and olavrv like this.
  42. Deleted User

Deleted User

I've spent couple hours seeking for source of issue (Unity 2021.1.15f1, HDRP 11.0.0), in my case i had two cameras rendering different layers, but that's doesn't matter.

- Solution for me was to enable "Custom Frame Settings", then to disable "Decal layers" on both cameras. ALSO, make sure that in project settings in graphics "Instancing Variants" is NOT set to "Strip All"

(If "Decal layers" is not clickable for you, try to enable Rendering/Decals/Layers in HDRP settings asset)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2021