Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Happy 4th!

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by forestjohnson, Jul 4, 2006.

1. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

Here in America we blow stuff up on the fourth of july. I am following that tradition by giving you my latest work, a Fireworks Sim. Check it out on My Website

2. Morgan

Morgan

The fireworks are great--lots of variety and detail (the smoke is a nice touch). I'm downloading your space shooter soon also.

3. Sync1B

Sync1B

Very nice. But nothing is better then the real thing. Vancouver fireworks, here I come. (Its the best west of the mississippi) ;)

Bill

4. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Wow, this is wonderful. I would love to get this on the front-page tomorrow.

d.

5. Morgan

Morgan

Yes, it would be a nice seasonal home page.

I tried the shooter game too--flying through the asteroids is fun :) And I like all the smooth trails. Reminds me a little bit of AS-Mothership.

6. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

Looks great, you should make a screen saver of it. Also I like the look of the page you made for it on your site, nice an profeshional looking.

Bill:
    There is one thing better than Vancuver Fire works (I have seen them) and thats getting a bunch of huge fireworks and doing them off yourself :p. Nothing like feeling the cuncushions, smeling the smoke, running through raining cinders that sting at the tuch :p. Last new years we helped a good friend put on a show at a hottel nearby, we shot off about $4k in 15 minets for a private show, that was a blast (no pun intended).

7. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

Really exceptional fireworks, Yoggy! I love the whole ambience. You should turn it into a screensaver using Freyr's foundation. It'd get downloaded like wildfire.

Reminds me of when I accidently turned Big Bang Sudoku into a warzone. (zillions of fireworks emitted per second)

(I saved the screenshot for posterity sake)

-Jon

Attached Files:

8. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Brilliant Yoggy! I seriously knew someone was going to do this and you pulled it off with aplomb. Couldn't be better!

Happy Independence Day everyone... now go out and see some "real" fireworks, they're always fun no matter how old you are. My neighborhood is exploding with illegal fireworks all around me tonight... and it's great :wink:

9. Sync1B

Sync1B

I joke about that because I kinda doubt they are the best west of the mississippi and who would say "west of the mississippi" any ways... they aren't many cow boys around no more and it seems like a cow boy saying. I bet that was fun btw wish I had 4K to blow on fireworks, or maybe a couple macbook pros! Tough choice...

Bill

10. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

The fireforks are extremely cool!

11. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

I wouldn't blow 4k on fireworks, which is why doing shows for hotels is great because they pay for all the fireworks :p. Your coment was funny ;) I liked the west of the mississippi part. Have a great 4th guys. Jeff

12. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

really nice. Could stare at it for hours.

13. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

To otee: Go ahead and use it as you wish. :)

Thanks for the support everyone!

I will consider atempting to turn it into a screen saver later but I am not ready to try that yet.

14. pete

pete

ha that's great! we had ours last night and they looked just like that! happy 4th!

15. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Why not publish a dashboard widget. If you do it quick, you'll probably be in the top 10 on apple's dashboard site in no time.

If you are worried about bandwidth, we can host it for you.

16. redlamp_legacy

redlamp_legacy

Yoggy, awesome project, I hooked it up to my projector and aimed it at the ceiling last night when some friends came over for a little party.

(my projector only projects green, because it's from the era when the only color options you had on a computer were green and black. :? )

My request, which may or may not be big. I've gotten bored with fireworks because we only get a 2 dimensional view of them, I would love to be able to move around fireworks in 3D and experience that extra dimensionality to the explosion.

Think you'd be able or willing to do that? Rig the mouse up to change the position of the camera while keeping focus on fireworks.

Good work.

Taylor

17. Morgan

Morgan

Mouse vert could dolly forward and back, while mouse left-right could either pan or else orbit the show. Either way, new fireworks that spawned could always be within the current camera view, so even if you flew through and past the show, new fireworks would always be appearing.

18. Harry Tuttle

Harry Tuttle

Is this still hosted? All I get is black window with the unity logo at the bottom right.

19. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

Yes it is still hosted. Is that the download or online version? I am not sure what could be wrong here...

Redlamp: it seems like it would be easy to make fireworks that you can pan around in 3D, but I would have to give up on the background and foreground, or spend a lot of time modeling a world to put the fireworks in.

20. Harry Tuttle

Harry Tuttle

I uninstalled the Unity web player then re-installed and it works now.
    The fireworks look great, I shall save them for Nov 5th - Guy Fawkes night over here in the UK.

21. redlamp_legacy

redlamp_legacy

Yoggy: That's a good point, the ambiance of the setting really adds to the project. Perhaps though you could indulge me with a simple secondary project that allows 3D orbiting around the fireworks, at the expense of the environment, it's kind of been a fantasy of mine to fly through fireworks.