Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Handpainted texture pack - how much whould it be worth to you ?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jimmy livefjord, Jan 17, 2012.

1. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Hey, thanks, I am not happy with my grass texture at all so i am the wrong one to be giving advice about this, i just painted some grass in Photoshop , made a brush of that and then started to paint away, be sure to shadow under the grass so it gets that 3d look. best of luck.

2. DylanNagel

DylanNagel

Wow, you've been busy Jimmy! Great to see, the quality is top notch.

I hope you'll include a number of dungeon floor and wall textures too?

When will you release this pack? I could really use it in the next two weeks or so... :)

3. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Hey Man ! , how is everything going ?. I will begin working on my homepage (www.handpaintedtextures.com) this friday. Hopefully we get the basics done then. The plan is to sell each texture by itself so most people can get exactly what they want. Offcourse we will sell big texture packs aswell. Send me some references regarding the dungeon floor and i make sure that they will be included.

4. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Here comes a quick preview of todays work. This is more of a mockup to try all the elements togheter. i will try to finnish it before tomorrow night. I think it will be around 400 - 450 faces when its done. One 512 texture for all the opacity stuff and a 512 for the diffuse channel.

Attached Files:

5. PizzaGuy213

PizzaGuy213

Liking it! looks like you perfected bark texture?

6. DylanNagel

DylanNagel

Nice to hear! I think you might already have a couple of perfect dungeon wall and floor textures. A few more like the ones in your portfolio (used in your 3D dungeon model) would be brilliant. Cheers and good luck with everything!

7. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Yeah man, the bark texture is tileable so it can be used on all sizes of three (thats the texture that are assigned at the moment. However i will make the texture original for this asset, alot of work still to be done thought.

8. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Been really sick so i decided to follow my daily inspiration and do something more easy.This will be sold in the asset store aswell.

Attached Files:

9. Kyzyk

Kyzyk

love it!

my favourite to be honest!

10. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Thanks man. Sorry for no update today. I have been trying to get my homepage to work but am afraid it will take a little longer. Really frustrating. I can garantee you that the end result of the tree will be ten times better.

11. seitor

seitor

Superb quality. Any estimated date of release?

12. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Hay Seitor and thanks for those kind words,

i am half throught the texture pack. My plan is to get up my homepage and start to sell the textures throught there. I think the sirte will be up in about a week. You will be able to buy both texture and assets. Stay tuned ;)

13. Babesoul

Babesoul

can't wait for this pack to come out. Really AAA stuff. This will help me save a ton of time digital painting.

Personal Request: I would love to have a styled water texture included as well.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  14. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Hey man and thanks for thoose kind words. When you say water can you show me some example? , is it supposed to be styled or work as animation? , I have never done anything like that before so could be cool ;) , Stay tuned.

15. ivanzu

ivanzu

I think that water from N64 systems would fit good into hand-painted textures.

16. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Hey Everyone and sorry for the few updates. This last week have been pretty stressful. I am working fulltime to get up my homepage and i am happy with the result. Also i just bought Skyrim, well do the math ;) Here is an update on a tree i have been working on. The diffuse right now is 1024 but can easily be resized to 512. depending on what angle you are playing from. its not done yet, more vertex color will be applied also it needs to be much more shadows so the tree get a little more punch. The shadow under the leaves are vertex colors. Keep in mind that the scene has no lights what so ever and thats why it looks so flat.

Attached Files:

17. Babesoul

Babesoul

18. RaskVann

RaskVann

The problem with water is its going to have to move. Especially in higher quality examples like the one above a shader or UV manipulation of some sort is going to have to be written and that really isn't what is being provided. He could provide the base texture for water and that would make sense but I the majority of the work would have to be your own. Since the water would be largely useless by itself I'd think various other textures would be a better alternative.

Just my opinion.

19. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

About the water: The style on that water is something i will never do, its way to cartoonish compared to my style. Try to think wow,Torchlight,Diablo3, these are art styles that you can expect to see on the homepage. The goal is to have one art style so people know what they can expect to see in the future. We have finally started to get some real content on the homepage up and its looking good so far. I hope all of you give me feedback on what we can improve. Here comes todays work - a dungeon tile floor. Generally i hate square shape textures but desided to do one anyway since i know a lot of people use this type of textures at least sometime. Again i am really sorry the content are comming up so slow, hang in there !.

Attached Files:

20. RaskVann

RaskVann

I thought this last texture looked strange to me so I copied it into the engine to take a peek and tiled it. The edges are blured rather heavily and so doesn't tile well (seams are obvious). I assume this isn't the final version? Other then that it looks great, keep up the good work.

As I've said before I'd rather the quality be good then it come fast so don't beat yourself up so much. The sentiment is nice though ^_^

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  21. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

The reason why i blur the edges is to prevent copying of the textures. Its a part of the watermark ;) On my homepage you are gonna be able to zoom in on all the textures you want to buy and this is how they will look then. When you buy the texture it will not have that edges. i have rendered a plane to show you how it looks.

Attached Files:

22. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Here comes a general stone texture that works for many things like a stone street,stonewall and so on.

Attached Files:

23. PizzaGuy213

PizzaGuy213

How's the store coming along? I'm ready to buy some !! ;)

24. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Hey Thomas and thanks for the e-mail by the way ! , The store has been delayed some but we are working on it. Hang in there !
    In the meantime i keep on painting textures.

25. Kyzyk

Kyzyk

Any updates?

26. Sehlor

Sehlor

First of all, great work. Really love this style!

And,

If it'll speed up texture release i love to help you build your store :)

27. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Hey Guys i am really sorry for the delay and no updates in a very long time. It Simply has been so much work to get the homepage up that i havent had time to paint any textures at all. We aim to have the homepage up Next week on monday. Please keep in mind that its only the basics that will be ready. I whould really love to get some feedback on things you thinks we could improve.

I havent promote the site on any place else on the internet and for good reasons. I simply want more content up before i lauch all the commercial. Right now i am still only half way throught on the textures (but more assets instead) Again really sorry about the delay but we are getting there !

Kindly // Jimmy

28. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Thank you but we are almost done, I am glad you like my stuff ;)

29. p6r

p6r

A very good news...

6R

30. ivanzu

ivanzu

Nice progress so far,I bet that working on homepage comes as good rest for hands because my hand hurts like hell after doing few textures XD.

31. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Here comes a new texture for all of your hungry souls.

Attached Files:

32. DylanNagel

DylanNagel

Sweet!

Can we expect the texture pack in March? :)

33. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Hey Dylan, Yes the pack should be done by then. It all depends on how much sleep i get ;) , Textures will be ready for purchase next week. (not pack just one by one) , How are your game comming along ? Send me a pm someday, i whould love to se some progress ! .

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  34. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Here comes todays texture.

Attached Files:

35. Moredice_legacy

Moredice_legacy

Wow! This is ace!

36. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Thanks alot man ! ,

37. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Here comes a new ground texture, this is based on the same patterns as the last one i just wanted to create another texture from it.

Attached Files:

38. Ocid

Ocid

These are wicked Jimmy. Great job.

Don't think I'll have much use for a full pack but I'll definitely be buying a few from your store when you get it up. Picking and choosing what I need :)

39. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Thanks for thoose kind words. Buying what you want only is the entire consept by the store. Also let me know if you have any suggestions, next texture will be pyramid stonewall.

40. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

41. Sehlor

Sehlor

Hi Jimmy,

Waiting for textures so excited, but $5 for each invidual texture? God, i hope it just a draft :p

42. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

It is not a draft. I will sell them fo half the price in packs. Trust me its alot of work making theese. Try to google around and try to see what you can find in this class for less than 5 dollar each. If you can i might change my mind.

Kindly // Jimmy

43. Sehlor

Sehlor

I didn't want to be rude,

This is your work, its your price aswell, i respect you, i know its a god damn tooo much work trust me. But on the other hand, we are all indie game developers (50% of us just doing this for hobby).

As you want a similar job;

https://www.the3dstudio.com/product_details.aspx?id_product=439332 if you look at here each texture price is 1.2$ only in a pack, and selling over the3dstudio which cuts total income for artist, you on the other hand selling over your website and all money goes directly to you,

Again; please do not misunderstand me, i'm just typing my opinion (i'm gonna buy theese freakin damn nice textures anyway :))

44. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Hey man !

I understand you. Everyone have the right to an opinion. I didnt mean to be rude either sorry if i came off as that. It is completely possible that i charge to much right now. I understand that indie developers dont have alot of money but the problem with this argument is that somehow my prices are bound by that. Theese textures are for everyone that wants to buy them even big companys. Something you notice on unity forums aswell is that everyone wants everything but few are willing to pay for it. If someone outside Unity asks me for a job in 90 % of the cases i get what i want. here its like 5 %. I whould also argue that my textures keep a much higher standard than anything else you will find in handpainted style. Please also consider that looking on a texture while its flat does not always means that it tiles good or have a structure that will reduse the tiling. I also offer alternetive versions on most of my textures that gives you alot of choices. with scratches without scrathes and so on. Also my site will get extremely big. I will have alot of textures ! I will also make sure that people who buy alot will get even better prices.

About the fact that texture selling pages takes alot of money from the artists is not a very valid point Thats horrific !. I have other costs becouse i made the page myself.Building the page and just getting it up + paypal /payson that i will take a small fee.

And please know that i am just a completely ordinary person with a daughter who have lived on nothing the last two years. And if my textures will sell to the point that i can actually make a living on them i PROMISE you i will lower the price. I am not a greedy person.

Thanks for the feedback man !

I

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  45. RaskVann

RaskVann

imo the prices for individual make sense to be higher then the packs and I don't find the individual prices to be that bad. That being said I can find songs for $5-$10 without trouble so they may be a little high. The problem is as Jimmy accurately put it, he's putting a lot of time into these and so has to charge accordingly.

Hopefully Jimmy can find a large audience and be more flexible in the future. But I plan on reaping the benefits of his hard work once he sells the packs.

Don't get discouraged Jimmy, Sehlor could have stated what he did a lot nicer then he did and everyone here is familiar with how hostile words can seem if they criticize anything involving your own work.

Looking forward to the release. Still lovin' your work.

46. appliquette

appliquette

I think its a perfectly fine price point and I would have no issues paying $5 per. As you say, these aren't 'indie only' textures and therefore shouldn't be priced as such.

I think there is a point where, if you are doing this as a hobby sometimes things will just cost a certain amount and that's how much it is. Saying because you are doing this as a hobby therefor someone who is producing professional standard assets should sell them as though they are a hobbyist (rather than a professional trying to earn money) is a terribly backward mindset.

47. DylanNagel

DylanNagel

To add my personal opinion: I think $ 5 per texture is an amazing price. I'm doing an independent production myself, with a total budget of around $ 5000 (excluding my own hours). If I can get a good number of high quality handpainted textures for a few hundred bucks, that's a very good deal!

You have my support, Jimmy! :)

48. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Hey Guys,

Thank you all for your support!. I dont think Sehlor was rude at all. As i wrote before everyone has the right to an opinion and i am not in a spot where i am a 100 % sure about anything (thats why i started this tread in the first place) But after making alot of researches on the internet almost everyone i have asked have claimed that textures in this quality is at least worth 5 usd.

Thanks you Raskvann, Andrewo and Dylan. All very valid points.

My goal with this page is to make the worlds biggest marketplace for handpainted textures and assets. I want anyone to be able to go in on this page and find exactly what they want. I will continue to work until the page gets thousands of textures.

Thanks again !

Kindly // Jimmy

49. Sehlor

Sehlor

Hello All,

I think i've been misunderstood or didn't explain myself well, sorry about that.

Let me clear myself; i didn't critize Jimmy's work, you can't do it cuz they are perfect, i mean it. They are literally perfect handpainted textures for any indie/studio/pro game developers.I just said 5$ for each invidiual texture is seemed a bit much for ME (Look at the title of this thread, he asked for an opinion and i just gave mine). That doesn't mean its too much to buy, its just what i think, won't i pay 5$ for each of them? of course i will, because they are 2nd most beautiful handpainted textures i've ever seen avaliable to buy.

Again, i didn't mean to criticize the work, i just explained my opinion about the price.

As from the begining of this thread, as i always said; Great work Jimmy, keep them coming. :)

Regards.
    Sehlor.

50. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Thanks Sehlor, more comming up soon , I am working on a pyramid /sandstone wall texture right now.