Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Guardian - 3rd Person Action/Adventure

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by go0pey, Jan 4, 2016.

1. go0pey

go0pey

Guardian is a 3rd person Action/Adventure game set in a not-too-distant-future world.
    Artificial Intelligence rose too quickly for the world to to harness it, and the robotics we created soon turned hostile. We tore each other apart, and in the aftermath left a war-torn world where any remnants - human or otherwise - sought to form small bands of survivors or total isolation.
    A century later, small settlements have begun to find strength in a dangerous world that nature has taken back. Relationships between humans and robots remain tense, but some have learned to survive and even live with each other. A new, sprawling frontier remains even more deadly for these small clusters of survivors.

Guardian is a single-player game I've been developing for PC. I hope to blend lots of adventure elements with some crafting gameplay and role-playing. You'll be set free to discover a story of survival while exploring a war-torn world with lots of different characters and areas, all alongside your own trusty robot companion. You'll discover there are many characters you can trust - robot and human alike - while finding just how dangerous the world has made the others.

Attached Files:

theANMATOR2b and Defcon44 like this.
  2. Defcon44

Defcon44

Looks very good !

good job ! Keep going :D

3. go0pey

go0pey

I was tired of all the post-apocalyptic game worlds' overuse of gritty, grungy, desaturated environments and mood. The world, especially the wild, is a dangerous place, but it's not devoid of color and character. Instead, it's a vibrant, living world that nature has thrived in long after the war.

I'm hoping to create a very stylized environment, with lots of dramatic and large-scale set pieces. I'm also able to really crank out a lot of the assets I need using this (generally) low-poly, simplistic look.

Attached Files:

• SS06.jpg
      SS06.jpg
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
    • SS07.jpg
      SS07.jpg
      File size:
      1 MB
      Views:
    • SS08.jpg
      SS08.jpg
      File size:
      923.9 KB
      Views:
    Defcon44 likes this.
  4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

The player character has a little hitch in his giddy up - the walk cycle isn't normalized so it looks like he stutter steps ever so slightly, and the cycle looks a little floaty, like his feet are skating just a little bit.
    The environments look really good. I like the the look very much. It reminds me of parts of the high desert mountains out west where yellow grasslands run into wooded foothills into the mountains.
    Nice work.

5. go0pey

go0pey

Thanks for the feedback! I very recently settled on my style for the human characters, so the player character you see is still very rough - especially in animation ;)
    And I'm glad you made that relationship to the West; I've spent a lot of time pouring over photos and media of that environment as inspiration. I've never been, but so many of the environments from Colorado of streams and forests and mountains hugging right up against each other are just jaw-dropping.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  6. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

It looks very nice, I really like the art style, it puts a very adventurous mood over the whole game with a bit of a star wars feel to it.

Keep up the good work. :)

7. go0pey

go0pey

Lots of new progress, including some new robots and environments! I'm pretty close to a point that I'm ready to
    to show some real gameplay and battling - there are still a couple of milestones that I'm trying to hit first. So stay tuned, and take a quick look at a new environment in progress!
    SS09.jpg

RavenOfCode likes this.
  8. HolyFireGames

HolyFireGames

Looks really good, I love the environment style :)

9. go0pey

go0pey

Thanks a bunch! Here's another progress shot as I continue with the city environment:

SS11.jpg